Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Doubles sampled - Delphinus to Lyra
      #6070467 - 09/08/13 11:47 PM

September 8, 2013 9:30 to 11:30pm.
8" f/9 Newt
Seeing: 6-7 Pickering declining to 5-6
Transparency - good to average.

Gamma Delphini - 5.09-4.21, 9" sep - warm double clean bright and easy at 70x. Relaxed observing with a double this obvious. In the same low power field: "Son of Gamma"...

OR Delphini, 7.55-8.38v, 6.2" - a nice double double with gamma. Both warm. A great contrast in pairs. Though without gamma in the field this is a "small" double.

Delta Equulei: 4.69-4.50v, 0.3". It was overly optimistic but I had to try despite nervous and often , soft diffraction patterns. Undetermined as you'd expect. If seeing doesn't go back up to 8 Pickering or better I may have to wait till next summer for this one.

F Herculis success! It certainly took long enough. Seen intermittently at 364x several times at a transit across the FOV. The companion is soft and greyish in the 7/10 seeing but unmistakeable. The culprit in observations past - even in 8/10 seeing was summertime haze compromising transparency and blotting out this gentle light. I wouldn't feel confident dropping much below 364x and still seeing it. Perhaps for me 312x would've been a hard low limit? Glad to finally have seen it.

WDS21045+0746
Mags:8.1-10.1v , 1.1"- wouldn't budge despite 246x and 303x . Stopped here on the way to:

Struve2472
6.69-6.69v, 2.9"
Resolution at 70x with dark fine space in between. It was almost instantly apparent which star in the field was it. Beautifully clean with the magnitudes keeping glare low and discs sharp. Quite nice and technically perfect looking. 140x turns the line of space into a gap. Clean object.

Albireo companion at .38" too soft seeing to split. Tried up to 545x. It was optimistic to even attempt it as by now seeing softened a bit. Diffraction rings seen but scattered light was plentiful and greatly agitated state .

Stop off in Lyra...

Epsilon Lyrae was not split at 70x. On the best night over summer both had dark space between them at this low power. Then last time in slightly less quality seeing only one pair showed dark space split - tonight, neither.
I didn't bother with the higher mag views.

WDS18540+3723
8.5-9.0v, 1.5"
Soft in the declining seeing but split all the same. Unremarkable but checked as it was in proximity to my field. A 12" would set this off better .

Briefly viewed M57s dim ghostly glow as I scanned about. Then...

Zeta Lyrae brilliant white cream comparatively wide compared to other objects tonight. The easiest outside of Albireo and Gamma Delphini.

This was a profitable casual observing evening that I matched to the less than great seeing. Good things had nevertheless and quite relaxing.

Edited by azure1961p (09/09/13 06:56 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WRAK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/18/12

Loc: Vienna, Austria, Europe
Re: Doubles sampled - Delphinus to Lyra new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6070665 - 09/09/13 04:07 AM

F Her - assume you used the 8". Could you please check this with your 150mm SCT? Seems a bit harder than the numbers suggest but should be reasonable easy doable with 150mm. I failed with 140mm but there are reports down to 100mm.
Wilfried

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Doubles sampled - Delphinus to Lyra new [Re: WRAK]
      #6070753 - 09/09/13 06:52 AM

Wow - I don't know Wilfried. Based on the difficulty through the 8" and the clear but agitated seeing last night Im going to venture a strong guess - again based solely on last nights conditions - the 6" SCT would not have had a chance. I do think however had my NEML been 6 instead if typical 5 of my condominium the 6" would have a fighting chance - even in agitated seeing last night. Diffraction patterns WERE visible with periodic clarity as it drifted across the field but for the most part highly active. When the rings merged or blurred this small dim point vanished without a hope.

I shall try again with my 6" if/when I get to my other site with it. Here though it wouldn't have a prayer.

Thanks for your comments Wil.

Pete

R Botero
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Kent, England
      #6070890 - 09/09/13 09:16 AM

Great report Pete! Glad you bagged F Herculis. Did you not have a go at Gamma Equulei?

Roberto

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Doubles sampled - Delphinus to Lyra new [Re: R Botero]
      #6070957 - 09/09/13 10:15 AM

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for the comments. I didn't try for Gamma Eq. As its magnitude spread is a bit if a tall order for my light polluted sky's. I've found in greatly unequal pairs a dark sky is imperative. Looks like a nice one though.

Pete

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #6072109 - 09/09/13 08:54 PM

Way to go, Pete, I am living vicariously through your observations.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Doubles sampled - Delphinus to Lyra new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6072178 - 09/09/13 09:42 PM

Well I'm eagerly awaiting yours particularly with the jetstream inching over my roof!!!

Pete

R Botero
Pooh-Bah

#6072812 - 09/10/13 09:12 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Not much to look at from SE England over the last few nights. Last time out was Saturday but seeing was not very good. Took a picture of Epsilon Lyrae with my planetary webcam. Hope you enjoy it.

Roberto

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Doubles sampled - Delphinus to Lyra new [Re: R Botero]
      #6073105 - 09/10/13 12:06 PM

Very nice clean work Roberto - well fine. I just read through your signature - you seem to specialize in high definition instruments. Quite the stable of tools !

Pete

R Botero
Pooh-Bah

#6073483 - 09/10/13 04:00 PM

Pete - thanks! I just wish I had more time to use them....
Roberto

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
      #6078324 - 09/13/13 08:03 AM

Pete,

Great report.

I finally took out a telescope last Friday after three months of recuperating from back and hip injuries. Not my 10" Dob, but a 6" f/5. I didn't want to take a chance on a relapse.

Transparency was good, seeing about 8/10.

Quote:

Gamma Delphini - 5.09-4.21, 9" sep - warm double clean bright and easy at 70x. Relaxed observing with a double this obvious. In the same low power field: "Son of Gamma"...

In my 6", I saw this as yellow-orange and green.

Quote:

Epsilon Lyrae was not split at 70x. On the best night over summer both had dark space between them at this low power. Then last time in slightly less quality seeing only one pair showed dark space split - tonight, neither.
I didn't bother with the higher mag views.

The Double Double split for my 6" at 94x (8mm setting on my Baader Zoom) and a bit less than that. Not the prettiest split I've seen of the four stars, but a definite dark line between each pair.

A star test on Polaris showed that this 6" f/5 Dob has a somewhat different diffraction pattern when comparing infocus and outfocus at 5 waves, not so much at 10. So maybe 1/5 wave lower order spherical aberration. Unfortunately I didn't have Suiter's Star Testing with me. But so far my C6 seems to have a better star test, with no difference seen at 5 waves.

I didn't check any other doubles, not even Albireo. For this night I mostly showed the Messiers and other bright DSO to my family.

Mike

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PJ Anway, Rich (RLTYS), rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 571

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics