Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
Thorkill

Reged: 04/16/13

Loc: Troms, Norway
Andromeda
      #6071596 - 09/09/13 04:04 PM Attachment (46 downloads)

Hi CN. I am posting one of my astro targets, wich i finaly nailed. I used NEQ6, Canon1100D, Skywatcher 90mm Scope, stellarium. DSS and PS for process. Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Andromeda new [Re: Thorkill]
      #6071772 - 09/09/13 05:41 PM

Looks pretty good!

Tyranthrax
sage

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Andromeda new [Re: shawnhar]
      #6072001 - 09/09/13 07:59 PM

I have a small scope and a camera not really suited for this type of long exposure shots. . .but I've tried a few shots that don't come out near this good because of the gear. This gives me a good thing to work with to see how close I could have gotten, I was thinking I had missed a lot.

two thumbs up

Stargazer78
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/05/13

Loc: Susanville California
Re: Andromeda new [Re: Tyranthrax]
      #6072503 - 09/10/13 01:38 AM

Nice!!!

Wouter D'hoye
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/03

Loc: Belgium
Re: Andromeda new [Re: Stargazer78]
      #6072510 - 09/10/13 01:47 AM

That's a pretty image. Can you give some details like how many subs and sub exposure length? Did you sue darks? I'm curious because I think the data looks pretty good and that actually even more could be pulled out of it.

Kind regards,

Wouter.

Thorkill

Re: Andromeda new [Re: Wouter D'hoye]
      #6072759 - 09/10/13 08:24 AM

Thank you for comments.

I used 45 light, 5 dark, 5 bias and 20 flat frames, and 15 Seconds exposure at ISO1600.

I agree Wouter, more could be pulled out, but i aint very good in at drawing/editing/writing(ADHD)

Cheers

Madratter
Postmaster

Reged: 01/14/13

#6072886 - 09/10/13 10:15 AM

One thing you could definitely do that would help would be to up the number of Dark and Bias Frames considerably to around 20.

If long processing jobs are not your thing, you might want to look into something like StarTools which can take less time than some of the others out there.

Thorkill

Re: Andromeda new [Re: Madratter]
      #6072908 - 09/10/13 10:29 AM

Ok Madratter, i also wasnt as accurate as i should have been in the flat frames(did it the following morning), so room for improvement in all areas i guess. What is a normal time consumption for editing a stacked Picture? Are we talking in the hours of finetuning curves? Thanks

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
      #6073069 - 09/10/13 11:43 AM

Quote:

If long processing jobs are not your thing, you might want to look into something like StarTools which can take less time than some of the others out there

+1. That is main reason I chose StarTools. I wanted to concentrate on capture part of AP and not stress out over the processing. There are a lot of processing software out there and I found the combination of DSS and StarTools to be the easiest to learn.

Here is my M31

Madratter
Postmaster

Reged: 01/14/13

#6073108 - 09/10/13 12:07 PM

Quote:

Ok Madratter, i also wasnt as accurate as i should have been in the flat frames(did it the following morning), so room for improvement in all areas i guess. What is a normal time consumption for editing a stacked Picture? Are we talking in the hours of finetuning curves? Thanks

I normally spend about 2 hours processing an image in PixInsight. Quicker and Dirtier is definitely possible. I can spend the same amount of time tweaking things in StarTools. However, it is better suited for getting something out the door a bit faster. There is a free trial for StarTools. I highly recommend giving it a try.

StarTools web page

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #6073506 - 09/10/13 04:16 PM

I have the free trial of StarTools and it crashes allot, have not been able to get a final result yet.
I have a duel processor 2.8 with 3 gig ram and 2 gigs video ram.

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Andromeda new [Re: NeilMac]
      #6073527 - 09/10/13 04:30 PM

Neil,

I am assuming your PC is 32 bit like mine. When dealing with large DSLR images, you need to bin the image to a smaller size. I typically use 50%. This also has the benefit of additional noise reduction. When you do this StarTools will work well. I can't remember it crashing (out of memory error) when I do this.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Andromeda new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #6073645 - 09/10/13 05:52 PM

64bit.
I thought of trying that by cropping a section. Il give it another go, Ive been very patient with the program hoping i could use it.
Thanks!

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

#6073922 - 09/10/13 08:49 PM

Make sure you have the latest production version also. I remember there being an issue with the 64bit version a while back.

Thorkill

Re: Andromeda new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #6075087 - 09/11/13 01:19 PM

I downloaded Startools(demo), and it will not open the "output files" from DSS. Wich is TIF file, and 32 bits i think. I think i saved the earlier in 16 bits, and it dint open those either. Any tips & tricks? Thanks

Edited by Thorkill (09/11/13 01:20 PM)

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#6075112 - 09/11/13 01:31 PM

I converted it into png file.

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

#6075127 - 09/11/13 01:37 PM

The autosave file in DSS is 32 bit and StarTools won't open it. If you save the file as a 16 bit tif, StarTools will open that. I have never had a problem with the 16 bit tif. StarTools will also open a 16bit fts file.

Thorkill

#6075128 - 09/11/13 01:37 PM

Thanks, i wasnt sure how to convert so i reopened and saved as FITS file and it did the trick.

Thorkill

#6075129 - 09/11/13 01:38 PM

Allright Jeff, thanks, i kinda thought that might be the case. Ok saving in 16 bits from now then right?

Thorkill

#6075416 - 09/11/13 03:50 PM

About Andromeda for me. I remember some 20ish year back, was alot outside walking the Mountains. Fishing, skii, walking, tenting, and i couldnt figure out this Object coming in and out of focus and i remember i thought about it be at a distance my eyes couldnt focus on. It took till i saw a BBC documentary With Pro Brian Cox, i realised what i had seen. So last year i took my Canon 450D out to photograph it. It took me a month find it(November). Then the quality was so bad i couldnt confirm it. Also photograph from the mini size tripod and find focus. I got a frostbiten face. I was so newbie i Guess i deserved it. I did see Andromeda in my friends binocular and With naked eye. So in february i got Skywatcher 90mm and target was to see Andromeda, in it, 4 hours eyepiece work and manualy Az Mount laters, it wasnt to be.

How hard can it be?

Then i bought NEQ6 but in summer we have 24 hour daylight. Now a week ago, i could rig and within 30 minutes i had Andromeda in eyepiece, and it was a fun experience. It seems Andromeda has a delay compared to stars, suddenly it where there, big and Bright.

Well thats my story, about a sight, i never forgot about.

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 453

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics