Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
MarcF650R
sage

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario
Impressions of the Tele Vue 76
      #6073586 - 09/10/13 05:10 PM

I have owned a TV76 for some time now but I never got around typing out my thoughts about it. Suffice to say I have been pleased with it. The blog entry doesn't contain anything earth shattering except that I tend to use it as a terrestrial landscape telephoto which is different.

I hope you enjoy the read.

http://thebackyardastronomer.blogspot.ca/2013/09/impression-of-tele-vue-76-or...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mr Onions
Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

Reged: 04/14/07

Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.
Re: Impressions of the Tele Vue 76 new [Re: MarcF650R]
      #6074691 - 09/11/13 09:51 AM

Great write up and some nice photos at the end there too.
I have the old Tele Vue Oracle 3, which is 76mm also.

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: Impressions of the Tele Vue 76 new [Re: Mr Onions]
      #6074842 - 09/11/13 10:57 AM

I enjoyed reading your thoughts and experience with this scope. I have essentially the same version (shiny black anodized, chrome tube with single lock screw brass compression). I bought it used maybe 5 years ago now and its been to TV for some tuning up. I've upgraded with a FocusMate but was never interested in the FT - I like the look and feel of the older focuser.

I've pretty much now dedicated my TV76 to H-alpha solar viewing but in past I've used it for terrestrial viewing and photography, as well as a vacation travel scope. There is something about the TV76 that I really enjoy. I have owned a number of high quality, larger refractors but have some confidence that when I retire and think about downsizing, the versatile TV76 will be the one scope I'll likely want to hold onto. I agree it is heavy for terrestrial and not best for the elements, but I wouldn't give up the TV76 for birding for anything other than maybe the new Swarovski ATX 95 (which I can't afford). And if I ever did splurge on the Swaro, I still wouldn't give up the TV76. In fact, given the used market as you point out, I could even see myself picking up a green tube TV76 at the right price someday to dedicate to terrestrial... How crazy is that?

MarcF650R
sage

Re: Impressions of the Tele Vue 76 new [Re: Doug D.]
      #6074919 - 09/11/13 11:40 AM

Thanks for the kind comments. I just fixed yet another formatting issue with the blog post where my double star observations were. I imported the blog from Word which kind of messes things up a bit. Fixed now.

Chris Greene
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/04/05

Loc: Dark Sky, Idaho
      #6075121 - 09/11/13 01:34 PM

I've had a Pronto for more than 15 years. I've also owned an early Genesis and an NP101. I ended up selling both because the larger aperture just didn't add enough for the inconvenience of the far more portable Pronto.

I've looked on and off for a TV-76 for some time as a small upgrade to the Pronto but TV no longer just sells the tube, you have to buy the whole package (diagonal, ep, ring) and I don't need yet another 2" diagonal or 20mm Plossl.

Regardless, what matters is just how portable these small TV refractors are and how good they are optically. And, I like the TV approach to astronomy.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

#6075133 - 09/11/13 01:40 PM

Hi Marc, tried to buy that 76 off you a couple of years back, good article,a used Pronto is a nice buy also, I,ve had two,the first was in the evergreen colour and was the newest , however a white one came on the scene that though older was in better overall condition, mainly the anodizing and focuser, I kept that and let the green one go, I prefer white anyway.
You don,t see too many 76,s on the used market these days, that says the owners must be happy, Dave, Innisfil.

Edited by Binojunky (09/11/13 01:42 PM)

MarcF650R
sage

Re: Impressions of the Tele Vue 76 new [Re: Binojunky]
      #6076448 - 09/12/13 07:38 AM

We had both the 76 and the Pronto out on Tuesday night. I still love the Pronto as it gets the job done.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

#6076835 - 09/12/13 11:54 AM

Marc I see you have the new version of the Star Beam red dot on the 76, any good, how is it compared with the older version?, thanks Dave.

MarcF650R
sage

Re: Impressions of the Tele Vue 76 new [Re: Binojunky]
      #6077301 - 09/12/13 03:45 PM

I like it...but the replacement battery is weird.

JRiggs

Reged: 07/08/13

Loc: Western New York
      #6077466 - 09/12/13 05:27 PM

I love my TV 76! I wouldn't part with it for anything. Even though it is only 76mm, contrary to popular opinion, it is great with a binoviewer. I use a MkV with the 1.7 OCS (really 1.5) which gives me 30X when used with 24mm Brandons. I can find things easily with this configuration and no extra finder. Most recently I mounted it on a short parallelogram mount from Universal Astronomics. I can observe at various elevations sitting down and never have to adjust my chair. Al Nagler really put together a great telescope when he came up with this. Interestingly, the TV 76 is almost an exact analog of the telescope used to make the Bonner Durchmusterung star atlas in the 19th century.

Pages: 1

Extra information
35 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 793

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics