Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
Seanem44
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
CPC 925 piggyback questions... help needed!
      #6076641 - 09/12/13 09:54 AM

I just pruchased an AT65EDQ, weighing in at about 5 lbs. I purchased it for the sole purpose of imaging. I am now at a crossroads.

I'm in the process of selling my astrotrac, as I had accomplished all I can with it, and am ready for the next step. With the funds from that, I plan on using the funds for one of two options.

My two options: Buy a wedge, maybe the Celetron Heavy Duty Pro model and Piggyback the AT65EDQ and my Nikon D800 on top of the CPC 925.

or

Buy a dedicated mount like the Celestron AVX or Ioptron ZEQ25 solely for the AT65EDQ.

Buying a wedge would be much more economical, at $399 for the Celestron. It would also leave me with excess cash for other items.

First, I need to know if my 925 could even support this setup. The 925 uses the same fork mount as the 1100, so it is fairly robust.

Would polar alignment with my 925 be easier than with a dedicated GEM for the At65EDQ? Would I need counterweights?

What do you all reccomend?

Sorry for the many questions. Just want to get the best bang for my buck and be able to start imaging widefield.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: CPC 925 piggyback questions... help needed! new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6076689 - 09/12/13 10:17 AM

Hey Sean, I had a CPC 9.25 and had guide scope/DSLR/CCD & video cam on it at different times and wedge mounted. The mount could handle it fine. One thing to consider is that on a wedge and when target something north like Polaris the scope inverts (ie. flips over) so finder scope/viewer are underneaath it. May pose a problem with DSLR (I think clearance is ok. You can test it first, mount accessories and flip OTA thru forks and make sure it clears. There is a link on Starzonia web page about balancing a CPC. Also can do ASPA as will act like an EQ on a wedge.... I bought mine used and there was something wrong with Alt clutch that could never be fixed right so I deforked it ,,,, but when it worked right it was really capable..
Kasey

Seanem44
Pooh-Bah

Re: CPC 925 piggyback questions... help needed! new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6076741 - 09/12/13 10:51 AM

So you would get a wedge over a dedicated mount? I guess one thing I didn't factor in are counterweights, mounting etc. So I think in reality, Both imaging options are going to run the same or close to it. I just worry about plopping the extra weight on top of the CPC. This is a tough decision.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

#6076829 - 09/12/13 11:51 AM

I am sure the CPC 9.25 could csrry the weight easy. Another option is to get the CG-5, is not a AVX but is a very good dependable mount, right now at $650.00 new, or sense all are going to AVX get one used and would support your AT65 and D800 easy and have room for something bigger down the road possibly.. That is what I have my 9.25 and video cam mounted on now. I think the ST80 guide scope weighs about 4 pounds and CPC packs that no problem... the biggest issue you will find I think will be clearance for equipment between the forks... The CG-5 is another option is all and a very very capable mount and if can wait for a sale I got mine for $525.00 I think. You are looking at $400.00 for a new wedge if you want to go new..
Kasey

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

#6076861 - 09/12/13 12:04 PM

to carry this a bit further, you are looking at about $60-75? for ADM rail for new mount, it comes with counterweights. that would be about all you need.. Am not sure what counterweight setup was for CPC, think maybe about the same... With the CPC even if wedge mount your big limitation on "expansion" is fork clearance... And to my knowledge that is a set. hard, limitation.... Is just some things to consider,
Kasey

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
      #6077627 - 09/12/13 07:39 PM

I'd get a GEM, Fork mounted wedges are huge, heavy and not always stable.
But that's just me.

BTW, I am seriously considering going the way you are with the AT65EDQ to compliment my Edge 11.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Re: CPC 925 piggyback questions... help needed! new [Re: WesC]
      #6077650 - 09/12/13 08:00 PM

well thats my next project, am hoping for a CGEM-DX for home and use the CG-5 for star parties and camping etc... but is Seans thread and just trying to offer different senarios and ways to go.
Kasey

Seanem44
Pooh-Bah

#6077769 - 09/12/13 09:27 PM

Quote:

But that's just me.

BTW, I am seriously considering going the way you are with the AT65EDQ to compliment my Edge 11.

Do you would go with a dedicated GEM for the AT65 and leave the CPC in altaz for visual only?

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #6077806 - 09/12/13 09:46 PM

Hi Sean,

I have both setups. My CPC1100 with rings carries my C80ED at 7 pounds with not too much trouble, but you do have to balance it well. I ended up getting the CGEM because I wanted a bigger refractor but before I had that I used a CG5 AGST with my old C8 and the C80ed on rings for a total imaging weight of about 27 lbs. my original intention was to have video on the SCT and wide field visual on the C80ED but honestly it was cumbersome with the CPC1100 and with the C8 and CG5 combo to use both scope simultaneously.

My advice is get a used CG5 for under $500. It will work great for that little scope and more importantly it will let you have the flexibility of just taking the smaller rig out for a quick use, rather than the setup/tear down of using a combined rig...

Al

Seanem44
Pooh-Bah

Re: CPC 925 piggyback questions... help needed! new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6078323 - 09/13/13 07:58 AM

Al.... I am leaning towards this. There is adefinate "cool" factor to have a large rig, 925 with piggybacked AT65...but, I don't want to have to set the whole thing up and break it down. I already have to carry up the 925 a flight of stairs to put on my deck. that takes two trips and it is heavy. Also, when all is said and done, $400 for the wedge, $100+ for counterweights, $100 for dovetail to attach the AT65 and already I am at what the CG5 costs and a little shy of the AVX. I don;t plan on imaging with the 925. It's not an edge. It's for visual only. So might as well go with the AVX or CG5 and down the road I can get that TAK i dream of and use the AT65 as a great guidescope.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

#6078548 - 09/13/13 11:18 AM

That is what I have my 9.25 on with telrad and VSS+, the CG-5 does really well especially if you are visual only... Here is a shot @30 second exposure with just rough polar align and stars are pretty round,,, (no guiding) ,
Kasey

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

#6078552 - 09/13/13 11:20 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Forgot pic ,
Kasey

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

#6079062 - 09/13/13 04:44 PM

Quote:

Do you would go with a dedicated GEM for the AT65 and leave the CPC in altaz for visual only?

Yes. CG5 or AVX.

Momerath
sage

Reged: 05/31/11

Loc: Upstate SC,
      #6079554 - 09/13/13 10:43 PM

Quote:

But that's just me.

WES yes go for the AT65edq. it is quite nice and fits on top of the C11 edge nicely with a set of losmandy dovetail rail and clamps.

To the original poster I would second to get a dedicated GEM mount. I hear the AVX is nice.
Here is a quick pic I took the other night of the NA nebula with the AT65edq. Minimal processing ( Just a quick stretch. This is 2 10 min subs at iso 400. no darks or flats. I did this just to test the optics.

Momerath
sage

Reged: 05/31/11

Loc: Upstate SC,
Re: CPC 925 piggyback questions... help needed! new [Re: Momerath]
      #6081021 - 09/14/13 08:08 PM

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CPC 925 piggyback questions... help needed! new [Re: Momerath]
      #6081122 - 09/14/13 09:28 PM

Very cool!

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 680

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics