Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Jan Owen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Sun City West, Arizona
Tips for cleaning & lubrication of ES Twilight II new
      #6074923 - 09/11/13 11:41 AM

Question for owners of the Explore Scientific Twilight II altazimuth mount; in lieu of factory instructions, what do you recommend for disassembly, cleaning, and lubrication of the bearings/bushings in both axes of this mount???

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: Tips for cleaning & lubrication of ES Twilight II new [Re: Jan Owen]
      #6075665 - 09/11/13 06:41 PM

I cant help you with the disassembly but i can say you should use Militec-1 grease when you reassemble. It is by far the best grease i have used on precision gear.

http://www.militec-1.com/

obin

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Tips for cleaning & lubrication of ES Twilight II new [Re: obin robinson]
      #6075872 - 09/11/13 09:07 PM

Quote:

I cant help you with the disassembly but i can say you should use Militec-1 grease when you reassemble. It is by far the best grease i have used on precision gear.

obin

Can you tell us why you like that grease so much? I've never heard of it until now. Most of the time I hear people swear by Superlube Synthetic.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: Tips for cleaning & lubrication of ES Twilight II new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6076030 - 09/11/13 10:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

obin

Can you tell us why you like that grease so much? I've never heard of it until now. Most of the time I hear people swear by Superlube Synthetic.

I am an aircraft mechanic and i have worked with many expensive synthetic lubricants. The Militec-1 grease works much better and lasts longer than others we have exposed to various torture tests. If you follow the instructions for Militec-1 you are supposed to heat it up and let the metal absorb it. Once it is treated the grease lasts for a very long time under extreme usage. Though we do not use it on the aircraft we used it with weapons instead of using TW25. I have used it to lubricate weapons which will stay in storage for a long time. It simply works and works well even in sandy, dirty, and dusty environments. In clean environments it simply excels. For telescopes i would not use anything else.

obin

MrJones
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Indiana
Re: Tips for cleaning & lubrication of ES Twilight II [Re: obin robinson]
      #6076653 - 09/12/13 09:59 AM

I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease, the pink stuff, for all kinds of stuff including my mounts. It's beaten or compared well with all the others in all the tests I've seen. I would think all 3 of these Superlube, Militec-1 and Mobil 1 are fine for mounts.

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 215

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics