Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
astrovienna
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/04/06

Loc: The NoVa White Zone
Anybody imaging with the Celestron HD Pro Wedge?
      #6077140 - 09/12/13 02:15 PM

I used it in the field for the first time this weekend. It blew around terribly in even the slightest of breezes, sending the guide star off by +/-5 arcsecs or more, and ruining about half of my 2 minute subs. This was a CPC1100 imaging at 1700mm, using the CPC tripod. When there was no wind, guiding was excellent. My observatory setup is a Milburn wedge on a (very short) pier, and I've imaged in similar conditions without much trouble.

It's possible that I didn't have all the bolts cranked down tight enough. The Celestron wedge adjusts in azimuth using two plates - one fixed to the tripod and one above that fixed to the lower one with three bolts with slotted holes, so that it can be rotated a bit in azimuth. The top plate "floats" on three semicircular plastic pads between the two plates, and when your alignment is set you tighten down the bolts. After inspecting the wedge I did tighten everything, sometimes as much as a quarter turn, but of course then it was cloudy, so I didn't get a chance to test this out.

Is anyone else using this setup for long FL imaging?

Kevin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Anybody imaging with the Celestron HD Pro Wedge? new [Re: astrovienna]
      #6077224 - 09/12/13 03:00 PM

I used the HD Pro wedge for a while with my CPC-800. I found it to be quite stable, even in moderate wind,(up to 10mph). I would expect it to handle a CPC-1100, but I also know the original wedge wasn't quite rigid enough for the 1100.

My inclination would be to suggest tightening everything down and trying again. If there is a loose bolt, maybe everything is rocking on that. You should also make sure the bolts on the bottom of the CPC are properly seated. I seem to remember some oddly fitting washers that were required for attaching the CPC to the wedge.

astrovienna
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/04/06

Loc: The NoVa White Zone
Re: Anybody imaging with the Celestron HD Pro Wedge? new [Re: Footbag]
      #6078592 - 09/13/13 11:46 AM

Thanks Adam. I'll give it a shot. I'm surprised that tightening so much is necessary, but maybe so.

Kevin

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 176

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics