Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
pjglad
sage

Reged: 01/29/11

StarSense Behavior new
      #6075769 - 09/11/13 08:06 PM

I have a CPC800 and StarSense. The alignment works great. All objects dead center. I have had a few weird issues with the HC. I entered M057 and M062 appeared in the LCD. I then entered the NGC equivalent of M057 and same thing - a different NGC number appeared in the LCD. Also, I entered the Moon then slewed to it. However, about an hour later when the Moon was at 10 degrees it was no longer in the Solar System list - Just Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. Anyone else having these kinds of issues?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: StarSense Behavior new [Re: pjglad]
      #6075893 - 09/11/13 09:17 PM

Sounds like slew limits and filter issues. Change the limits and you'll be fine.

pjglad
sage

Re: StarSense Behavior new [Re: Sorny]
      #6076904 - 09/12/13 12:28 PM

Thanks. I've never used slew limits. I checked and the default slew limits for the HC that ships with the CPC800 are 0/90. Also, I checked the default slew limits on the StarSense HC and they are 10/70.

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #6077270 - 09/12/13 03:25 PM

Glad to see you figured it out with the help of Sorny..
We all learned something about the starsence unit overriding the scope
Good thing to know..

BobG

pjglad
sage

Re: StarSense Behavior new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #6077528 - 09/12/13 06:00 PM

Actually StarSense does not override the scope. StarSense AutoAlign consists of a StarSense Camera and a new HC. The new HC's firmware manages the catalogues based on slew limits.

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
      #6077698 - 09/12/13 08:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I've never used slew limits. I checked and the default slew limits for the HC that ships with the CPC800 are 0/90. Also, I checked the default slew limits on the StarSense HC and they are 10/70.

Glad it was an easy "fix" for you. I suspected that is what it was since I've seen things "disappear" from the menus after I set custom slew limits on my NexStar 5SE and my CPC1100, and your description sounded almost identical to what I experienced with slew limits set.

I think the SS handcontroller defaults to 10/70 as a safety precaution since it is a universal hand controller, and not all mounts can always move to 0/90 (many SLT mounted scopes could run into serious issues with wide open slew limits).

The manual does mention slew limits under setup, but not that they default to 10/70.

I'm still waiting for my StarSense... Not because I have issues with alignment, but because I'm all about nifty gadgets.

pjglad
sage

Re: StarSense Behavior [Re: Sorny]
      #6077799 - 09/12/13 09:42 PM

Sorny - Thanks for your help. StarSense is awesome! I purchased a replacement coiled cable which is shorter. Let me know if you want after you get your StarSense.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 598

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics