Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
De Lorme
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/30/08

8" F/9 on a CGEM with a Hargreave Strut? new
      #6076792 - 09/12/13 11:22 AM

I posted this first in equipment. I should posted it here first, sorry. I'm looking to put together a 8"f9{8" F6 if I have to} on my CGEM. Was told by Eddie and Brian{in equipment} that the weak link is the tripod. If I install heavy wooden legs plus a Hargreave Strut system would that make the difference in the flexure problem? My concern is would I damage the RA and DE motors or any other component's over a period of time. The weight for the F/9 is approximately 33lbs and 30lbs for the F/6.
Things that you should know are, I'm a visual only and I have a roll of roof that keeps me out of the wind.
I once had a 10" Astro Tech reflector on my CGEM that rode well so I thinks a 8" f/6 would also. But I would prefer the 8" F/9 if it's possible.
Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. De Lorme

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: 8" F/9 on a CGEM with a Hargreave Strut? new [Re: De Lorme]
      #6077194 - 09/12/13 02:43 PM

So you are visual only? I think the CGEM as is, is just fine for what you are doing.

My Edge 11 with all the extra gear on it runs about 32lbs, and for visual its perfectly fine with my CGEM straight out of the box. Unless you are planning an unusually long moment arm, but even then, if you balance carefully you should be just fine for visual. The best way to keep the tripod flex to a minimum is not to raise it up on the legs and use isolation pads. If I do raise mine, its never more than 10-12 inches, which is plenty.

I've only found the tripod to flex when I extend the legs all the way.

AP? That's a whole different story...

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Re: 8" F/9 on a CGEM with a Hargreave Strut? new [Re: WesC]
      #6077916 - 09/12/13 10:50 PM

WesC, Right now I have a CR6" with the legs extended all
up to about the last 3" inches. It's been that way since I've had it. Even at this height it only takes a second
for the telescope to dampen down. The focuser hit the leg once, but I might have bumped it when it did.
I've found an inexpensive way to make a spreader bar. With
this and a Hargreaves Strut{and a height extender} I think
this will work. Still concerned that this will put to much pressure on the motors. Do you know anybody who's pushed
their CGEM with bad results? Thanks for the advice. De Lorme

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #6077938 - 09/12/13 11:00 PM

My 150mm R30 istar weighs like 28 lbs. it is also 1200mm so quite long. With tips legs extended 12-15inches it takes a second or two for vibrations to die down at 70-150x mag... At over 150x it's more like 3 sec and less than 70 mag it is not very noticeable...

Picture here Istar bazooka

Al

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Re: 8" F/9 on a CGEM with a Hargreave Strut? new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6077957 - 09/12/13 11:08 PM

That a nice scope! Heard nothing but good about Istar.
What a great time we live in! De Lorme

T1R2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N
      #6077965 - 09/12/13 11:12 PM

Its not the weight of the F/9 scope, 33lb, its the length of the ota, 1800mm I believe, you'll have focusing jiggles but after that you might be ok if you don't bump the ep when looking through it, I personally would not put anything over 5" F7-ish refractor on that mount, but it could work for you.

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Re: 8" F/9 on a CGEM with a Hargreave Strut? new [Re: T1R2]
      #6078004 - 09/12/13 11:34 PM

T1R2, I've had a CR6" on it for the last 3 years and it works really great! Probably not for AP though. Do you think
that the Hargreaves Strut and the spreader bar won't make a difference? Do you know of anybody who's put a 8"F/9 on a CGEM with the added up grades and ruined a motor? Would like to know now rather then learn it the hard way. I know the 8"F/6 would work.
Any advice is welcome. Thanks for the help. De Lorme

T1R2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N
Re: 8" F/9 on a CGEM with a Hargreave Strut? [Re: De Lorme]
      #6078099 - 09/13/13 12:58 AM

Sorry D, I just don't think you'll be happy with the size of that scope on that mount, I really don't think the strut and the spreader will make a difference with a scope of that size, I have a 08" CGE mount(not PRO) and its bigger than the CGEM, and I would not go over a 150mm F/8-ish refractor even on that. Best bet is to look at them on that mount, if it looks like the scope is bigger than the mount and it looks funny, then its under mounted, if you look at it and it's in proportion with each other and it makes you say "that looks real good", then your good to go. We all hate to make changes, specially if we have our minds set on something or already have a certain mount or ota, ideally the mount should look more robust than the telescope. hope this helps a little.

Edit: I know of no one who use that set-up.
not sure about hurting the motors

Edited by T1R2 (09/13/13 01:03 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
27 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 258

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics