Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Wmacky]
      #6078368 - 09/13/13 09:02 AM

Thanku.

Astronomers take a lot of nonsense from manufacturers...I have never seen anything like it.

Mounts that fail out of the box, scopes that outgas, firmware that needs updating immediately you purchase...only for the new firmware to screw up, handcontrollers that never work properly, etc.

Of course lots of products are fine...but quality control really is a problem.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? [Re: Wmacky]
      #6078452 - 09/13/13 10:08 AM

Mike,

It's probably just outgassing from the paint. Not a huge deal, and cleaning an SCT is easy once you get over the trepidation of taking it apart. I've done the corrector on my 12" twice now... and the second time around was definitely 'meh, whatever'. The first time? Man, I was VERY nervous.

OPT sells a cleaning kit based on Dr. Clay's cleaning supplies. It works very well and it's super easy to do. The instructions are very helpful and it should fix any problems you have.

Hope that helps, good luck!

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Raginar]
      #6078484 - 09/13/13 10:28 AM

I have yet to clean the C8 OTA on my non-Fastar, Celestron Ultima-2000, and it is still sparkling clean! And, yes, I do use it.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: mayidunk]
      #6079348 - 09/13/13 08:14 PM

Hey don't forget how NASA had to send several repair missions to Hubble! Telescopes are demanding instruments.

Retsub

Reged: 12/08/06

Loc: Houston,Tx.
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6079676 - 09/14/13 12:30 AM

>>reports on some scopes that the corrector is stuck and requires some use of solvents to get out.

<< Pay close attention to the tightness, or lack of, of the screws holding the retainer ring. Retighten 'em the same way. With the ring off make note of the gap all around the plate and put it back in with the same gap as before. Piece of tape at the edge of the plate to the cell then slit in the middle it to relocate again. IF the plate seems stuck give it a Bear Hug being careful and you might be able to deform the cell slightly for a nano second to get it loose. Don't laugh ! Most of all be ready for it to come loose at any time. *BW*

David D.

Reged: 01/05/09

Loc: New Orleans
      #6082989 - 09/15/13 11:03 PM

Fog sticks to dirt. There is clearly a pattern of something woven on the glass. It was set on a towel and possible out gassing contributed to the fogging. Just take your time when removing the corrector and watch for shims. They might fall out and you won't know where to put them back. It's not that difficult.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: David D.]
      #6083178 - 09/16/13 02:06 AM

I took off my C11 corrector and thought the spacers were adhesive, they were not and most fell off when I pulled off the plate, but it didn't matter, just make sure there all evenly spaced, some that were double stacked would not fit again, that didn't matter either for some reason, all went back together and all is fine with the views, no off center secondary, no astigmatism, I even dropped the small screw driver onto the corrector and put a big streak across the glass...ooops! but it came right out when I polished it what a relief. but yes, make sure you don't over tighten the corrector retaining ring screws, that could crack the corrector, I just screwed mine in until they stopped, barely any pressure. I placed my collimation screws with two at the bottom inline with the dovetail and one on top in the center, everything works fine.

Edit: when I replaced the corrector I stood it up end over end with the focuser end on the chair on the opening up, then I placed the corrector on and added the spacers evenly around it.

Edited by T1R2 (09/16/13 02:18 AM)

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: HowardK]
      #6083179 - 09/16/13 02:08 AM Attachment (44 downloads)

Fyi this is my friend's Brand New (as in just the past month) Edge 14 corrector out of the box ... getting a replacement from Celestron though.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: core]
      #6083185 - 09/16/13 02:21 AM

That looks like cleaning solution haze, like when you don't polish it after you apply it, had the same problem with mine.

core
Pooh-Bah

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: T1R2]
      #6083240 - 09/16/13 03:16 AM

It was on the inside of the corrector, he sent pics to celestron and to their credit they setup an immediate exchange - but still, to have this happen to their flagship product ...?!

Edited by core (09/16/13 09:45 AM)

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

#6083245 - 09/16/13 03:23 AM

Yep, that's where mine was also, but it came out and looks great now, I don't know if outgassing would be as easy to get off, anyone know if it would?

dobsoscope
sage

Reged: 05/24/06

#6083303 - 09/16/13 05:37 AM

In the C14 would you be able to insert your hand through the secondary hole, and somehow clean the inside *without* removing the corrector plate?

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #6083817 - 09/16/13 12:12 PM

Make sure to not spray the cleaner directly on the corrector but onto the Kleenex. If there are small scratches or the coating is worn, it can get under the coatings and make it worse.
Good luck, probably nothing to worry about, and the images wont be visually affected by much or at all.

shiner

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: England
      #6084147 - 09/16/13 03:19 PM

I would leave it alone. It will not affect the views one bit.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: shiner]
      #6084220 - 09/16/13 03:58 PM

Its a lot easier to remove the corrector than the secondary to put your hand through, specially if you drop the tissue, you'll have to remove the corrector anyway and the secondary is what you need in place to lift off the corrector and to use to set on the table so your glass is not in contact with anything but air. Haze like that will look like the view of a star through high thin clouds, with halos around them, specially the bright ones, I'm picky and it would be commin off.

core
Pooh-Bah

#6130151 - 10/10/13 11:22 PM

fwiw, another chap here picked up a brand new CGEM DX 1100 HD, and won't you believe it - corrector haze again. This time around there's just a little of it in a 'hexagon' shape around the secondary, as if someone had wiped it with straight strokes, but missed cleaning it all out. Celestron's sending a replacement OTA, but come on guys, this QC issue is costing y'all!

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: shiner]
      #6130533 - 10/11/13 08:22 AM

I would disagree.

I had this haze develop on my EdgeHD 8" (reported it early this year) and I could tell the scope was not performing quite right.

I could see that stars seemed visibly soft to me with a bit of glow around them.

Exactly like when dew is forming.

Racking in and out of focus I could see the dimming of the interrior rings in star test.

Cleaned it and was back to perfect.

If it was a new scope and still under warranty though I would take one for the team and return it to Celestron (not the dealer) and get them to clean it or send a new one.

If a few dozen people were to do this and Celestron was dribbling away profit to deal with it, they would very quickly research the problem (OTAs being assembled before the paint is dry most likely) and resolve it.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6130546 - 10/11/13 08:35 AM

I have seen this on Classic Orange tubes but it took decades to fog.
This bothers me, If it is getting on the inside of the corrector what about the correcting lenses inside the edge scopes?
You would think if it is getting on the inside of the corrector it would get on the inward facing baffle lenses as well.
Anybody looked at their Edge baffle lenses and see this yet?

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6130602 - 10/11/13 09:13 AM

If the haze is from outgassing, I'd wager the grease on the baffle tube and perhaps the grease on focus mechanism are the culprits, and due to its surface area, the baffle tube is the main contributor.

If you want to you can clean the baffle tube and the mirror slider and then grease them using this: Vacuum Grease . A little bit goes a LONG way.

Joe Aguiar
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/10/07

Loc: none of your buss
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #6130641 - 10/11/13 09:41 AM

come to think about it my celestron c-8 which was the USA made optics and was the grey colour ota had this issue with the corrector and the mirror had a light blue haze on it was easy to take the corrector and cleaned both and put it back like new.
i dont think its a big deal to clean it but i guess if its brand new it shouldnt have this, seems to be a celestron problem?

Would leaving the optics outside and let the ota to cure longer b4 putting it all together help this issue i wonder?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2852

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics