Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
intercept789
journeyman

Reged: 10/12/12

Celestron Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80
      #6078454 - 09/13/13 10:10 AM

I want to get a sub $1,000 mount that will be great at GOTO, relatively easy to use. Eventually I want to save up and get an 8" SC to put on it, but for starters will be using a 5" achro refractor. I know these scopes are fairly different, but they are the two that seem to jump out at me in terms of desirability.

Any thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Celestron Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 new [Re: intercept789]
      #6078461 - 09/13/13 10:14 AM

Well you might want to wait.

I new version of the LX80 will be coming out in the near term, based on all the news. The replacement specs for the LX80 replacement look impressive.

The trend in comments will be:
* Go with the AVX
* Avoid the LX80
* Wait for the NEW LX80, whatever it will be called.

But as they say, stay tuned!

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #6078494 - 09/13/13 10:36 AM

A new LX80 MAY be coming out. That is not at all assured. The next few weeks will tell the tale.

intercept789
journeyman

Re: Celestron Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 new [Re: rmollise]
      #6078496 - 09/13/13 10:39 AM

Wait, didn't the Meade LX80 come out fairly recently? Fortunately I am not in too much of a hurry since my last chance for a star party isn't going to work out for this year. So won't really need/want until May 2014, but I want to plan ahead.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6078499 - 09/13/13 10:41 AM

It wasn't that long ago, about a year. It had a host of design problems and Meade has a host of financial problems.

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

#6078506 - 09/13/13 10:43 AM

Quote:

Wait, didn't the Meade LX80 come out fairly recently? Fortunately I am not in too much of a hurry since my last chance for a star party isn't going to work out for this year. So won't really need/want until May 2014, but I want to plan ahead.

By May we will definitely know about Meade's status and the new LX8x mount.

To summarize in the other LX80 areas:
* Meade has done a lot of redesign of the LX80 series
* Software for the revised mount is not ready
* They will beta test soon
* All hinges on the new owners of Meade, who seem very interested in this new mount.

By May 2014 you will certainly know about Meade and the new LX80 series mount.

intercept789
journeyman

#6078518 - 09/13/13 10:52 AM

Well, I will anxiously wait to hear about this new LX80 scope. On paper the original LX80 seemed perfect for me, minus the fact I really like how Celestron makes it seemingly easy to control the scope with a tablet or laptop software. That and the shaky ground Meade stands on. So Meade has new owners committed to making decent equipment, or just to mine the somewhat established "Meade" name?

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

#6078543 - 09/13/13 11:13 AM

Quote:

Well, I will anxiously wait to hear about this new LX80 scope. On paper the original LX80 seemed perfect for me, minus the fact I really like how Celestron makes it seemingly easy to control the scope with a tablet or laptop software. That and the shaky ground Meade stands on. So Meade has new owners committed to making decent equipment, or just to mine the somewhat established "Meade" name?

Regarding Meade, we are all waiting to see the new plan. Three schools of thought:

* New company owned by Ningbo-Sunny will infuse cash and grow Meade and their high end products, plus supplement with their low end stuff. Based on my sources this is likely. Word has it they are working on the new LX80 rev (and Meade was supposedly purchased yesterday).
* Many feel NS will just gut and misuse Meade. Possible.
* Some feel Celestron is involved (and it looks like there are connections on that front). They will just allow Meade to fade away and remove the competition.

As far as easy control there are also easy ways to control Meade telescopes with a tablet and laptop. I use SkyFi with SkySafari to control my LX200 and LX850 using my iPhone, iPad and Mac. It is wonderful controlling the telescope by just tapping on the iPad screen from anywhere on my property and home wirelessly. I do also use the Meade controller which is fine too.

Things will certainly be clear by spring when you are ready.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
      #6079396 - 09/13/13 08:45 PM

Please keep in mind anything you hear about the future of Meade on Cloudy Nights is pure speculation. For example, what you are reading above. Don't rely on "insider info" from people who really don't know anything.

The Meade acquisition by Sunny Ningbo (I don't think of it as a merger) was completed today. The Meade board was dissolved and the stock delisted. If anything positive happens with them it will be some time from now. And beyond that there is still quite a lot of doubt about quality to overcome, both from Meade and from their new owners.

I don't think making a purchasing decision based on hearsay is at all wise. All we know right now is that Meade, as it was, is done. As there are multiple other mount options on the market from viable companies to choose from, I humbly suggest that considering one of them is in your best interest.

----------------------------

And directly to your question, the AVX would certainly run either of those two scopes very well. There are also iOptron mounts in the same class that would fit the bill.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Celestron Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 new [Re: WesC]
      #6079431 - 09/13/13 09:12 PM

I would agree. What's that old saying? "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 new [Re: WesC]
      #6079520 - 09/13/13 10:23 PM

Quote:

Please keep in mind anything you hear about the future of Meade on Cloudy Nights is pure speculation. For example, what you are reading above. Don't rely on "insider info" from people who really don't know anything.

The Meade acquisition by Sunny Ningbo (I don't think of it as a merger) was completed today. The Meade board was dissolved and the stock delisted. If anything positive happens with them it will be some time from now. And beyond that there is still quite a lot of doubt about quality to overcome, both from Meade and from their new owners.

I don't think making a purchasing decision based on hearsay is at all wise. All we know right now is that Meade, as it was, is done. As there are multiple other mount options on the market from viable companies to choose from, I humbly suggest that considering one of them is in your best interest.

----------------------------

And directly to your question, the AVX would certainly run either of those two scopes very well. There are also iOptron mounts in the same class that would fit the bill.

Well first off Intercept is looking until May of 2014, so there is a bit of time.

As far as doubt about quality, I don't know what you are talking about. My LX850 is a wonderful instrument and very well built; I hope the 100 year monsoons are done when I get home so I can get back to the fun!! My 80mm and 130mm Meade 6000 APOs are simply work's of art; the views in the 80mm are spectacular! I hope to fully test the 130mm this weekend. Both are very well built and top notch quality. My LX200 has worked perfectly over 21 years; ETX125 works fine too since 2000. LXD75 - I love it and has already held up to over 5000 miles on the road over 3 months. I have heard very good things about the LX600. And yes, I did major recent purchases. No worries. What are your quality figures based on? I know Celestron hand controllers have a high failure rate, and folks carry spares. I NEVER had to do that for a Meade. But this failure is acceptable to folks (I know, weird).

What will happen in 6 months or 2 years? Who knows, but Ningbo Sunny is moving forward with Meade in a very positive direction. I mean, can you predict every company's fate? Celestron seems to have survived its rough patch.

Either way, the AVX and iOptron are options. Who knows by April/May 2014 where Meade will be, but Intercept should have them in the selection pool. I am very bullish on Meade with its infusion of cash from the People's Republic of China, er, I mean Ningbo Sunny!

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 and the Merger. new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #6082001 - 09/15/13 12:38 PM

Sunny has completed the merger. Mead stock has been de-listed. Curious to see what happens next. Can only hope Sunny keeps the Meade brand a leader in the astro world with new (working) tech.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 and the Merger. new [Re: brokenwave]
      #6082085 - 09/15/13 01:46 PM

Just keep in mind Celestron "Getting past a rough patch" meant they are now owned by Synta, and their manufacturing activity in California was shut down. All of that work was moved to either Taiwan or mainland China, and it won't be back.

As for Meade, we've got no indication on Ningbo Sunny's intent. All of the work happening up to now was what Meade's now-replaced management elected to use funds loaned to them by Ningbo Sunny for, given they couldn't keep operating in day to day operations long enough for the shareholder vote.

The various threads here have repeatedly tried to inject non-information into this topic:

- claims about sales volume high/ low for various products.

- claims about future products.

- various forward-looking statements.

- claims about various product failure rates.

There has not been and is no direct data presented by Meade or Ningbo Sunny on any of these topics. All we know is Meade was bought and the management was replaced. The new owners are free to deploy its capabilities and assets at their discretion. What guiding purpose or plan they have is unknown.

-Rich

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 and the Merger. new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6083255 - 09/16/13 03:31 AM

Quote:

There has not been and is no direct data presented by Meade or Ningbo Sunny on any of these topics. All we know is Meade was bought and the management was replaced. The new owners are free to deploy its capabilities and assets at their discretion. What guiding purpose or plan they have is unknown.

Probably unknown to Sunny as well. Due diligence can only go so far. I expect they will continue business as usual while their new senior management work out what they have actually got and what to do with it.

Chris

intercept789
journeyman

Re: Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 and the Merger. new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6083910 - 09/16/13 12:56 PM

Fortunately I have both, options and time to decide. On paper I really like the LX80, right down to the voice descriptions of what you are seeing (my wife loves that sort of stuff). But I don't want to roll the dice if it seems iffy since I don't have time to mess around and have to sell a mount I took the time to buy to get one that does what I want. I will keep an eye on things and see where it rolls.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 and the Merger. new [Re: intercept789]
      #6083939 - 09/16/13 01:17 PM

One other thing to consider with the uncertainty surrounding Meade and it's future - resale value. If you do end up with the LX80 and find it's not your cup of tea, you could take a financial hit selling it on the used market if public confidence in the company isn't restored.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 and the Merger. new [Re: dpippel]
      #6083998 - 09/16/13 01:54 PM

Now that the buyout is done, we should know the direction the new owner is going soon. If the intent is to continue with business, resale value shouldn't be much different for Meade than for Celestron. The big factor on LX80 resale value is what Meade decides to do about the revisions that are already in the works. If the mount is upgraded resale value shouldn't be a problem.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 and the Merger. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6084003 - 09/16/13 01:57 PM

Be careful of how you use your words, would hate to see another thread get locked by misunderstanding,,,,,
Kasey

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 and the Merger. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6084005 - 09/16/13 02:00 PM

Quote:

Now that the buyout is done, we should know the direction the new owner is going soon. If the intent is to continue with business, resale value shouldn't be much different for Meade than for Celestron. The big factor on LX80 resale value is what Meade decides to do about the revisions that are already in the works. If the mount is upgraded resale value shouldn't be a problem.

Speculation Mike, as are my comments. IMO there's simply too much uncertainty surrounding Meade for the foreseeable future to make opinions regarding the company and its operations going forward anything more than pure guesswork. That uncertainty would factor into my purchasing decision if I were buying a mount, which is why I commented on it.

intercept789
journeyman

Re: Advanced VX vs. the Meade LX-80 and the Merger. new [Re: dpippel]
      #6084260 - 09/16/13 04:26 PM

Anyone else heard that the revamped LX80 is going to be called VM-1?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1765

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics