Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Levine
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V!
      #6078488 - 09/13/13 10:31 AM

Browsing these threads has convinced me that the "perfect" set of EP's for any BV is VERY user-specific!

Having said that, I would like to try to get it "right" from the get-go.

I am ~50 years old, have moderate astigmatism, and do not wear glasses when observing. IPD is mid range: not too wide, not too narrow.
My scopes are as listed in my sig line, below.
Interests tilt more towards deep sky, but I do look at planets/moon from time to time.
I have alt/az and GEM mounts.

Looking to assemble a Set that is really good, and practical.
I see little sense in having pairs spaced every couple of mm's, but flexibility is desirable.
I already have too many singles, so I could either match up some that I already have, and/or sell others to fund what I need.

Notably, I have a Leica Aspheric Zoom. Possible to consider this as an "anchor" of a future set, assuming I could wedge my schnozz between them?

What do you think?
What works for you?

Thanks, all!!



Edited by Levine (09/13/13 04:56 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Levine]
      #6078528 - 09/13/13 11:04 AM

I can recommend the following eyepeices for the SCTs.

The biggest issue that you will encounter is that the BVs will try to lock you into higher powers and for DSOs, someties you still want a low power for a big exit pupil

For this, I would recommend one of the two:

The Televue 40mm Plossls. In the C14 (and you do want to binoview the C14) will give about the same exit pupil as a 41mm Panoptic. This is the best eyepeice for faint nebula or galaxies because this is about as big an exit pupil as you can get.

The downside is that the apparent field is rather small, being on the order of 44 degrees or so.

If you want to sacrifice a bit of exit pupil for a more pleasing apparent field and a slighly wider true field, then I highly recommend the 35mm Ultimas.

The Televue has a 27mm field stop, but the Ulita has a 28mm field stop. It does not seem like a big deal, but in fact every millimeter helps with the C14. The exit pupil will be a bit smaller though, but the 49 degree apparent field to me is much more satisfying.

I used the 35mm Ultimas more than the 40mm Plossls because of this.

And of course this holds true in all of the scopes, but the ultimas don't have as good off axis performacne in faster scopes as the TV 40s I think.

Next, the ES 24/68s work great.

I used 17mm and 13mm Hyperions in the C14 as well.

It is hard to use the 13mms though, because the BV imposed dimming does rob a bit of light, but I did use them on bright Globulars a lot.

In the C14, my most used planetary pairs were 15mm and 20mm Plossls. You will find it hard to get nights of seeing that support more than the 15, and the 17mm Hyperions were not quite enough mag, though I have used them many times on planets with good result.

The Hyperoins though are big, and if your IPD is tight or you are graces with a larger sniffer, they may be too tight.

A "Split the difference" Alternative is the ES16/68. An excellent excellent eyepeice. This eyepecie could probably bump the need for a 15mm Plossl Pair

I use the 35mm Ultimas a lot though. They have very long eye relieve in the event that you need your glasses and they make it easy to take in the entire field.

This is something that is not commented on much, but I find that even 68 degree wide fields make it hard to take in the whole field. You can't tilt your head with BVs the way you can in monovision withhout causing one eyepecie to kidney bean out.

In general, the 50 degree AFOV eyepeicse actually seem more natural because you simply see the entire field without having to tilt your had.

But I love my ES and Hyperions in the binoviewer and can recommend them.

Not the 24mm Hyp though. Not as nice an experience as the ES 2468s.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnnyha
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6078849 - 09/13/13 02:28 PM

Levine - If I was going to binoview with them, I would be tempted go with the smaller Leica zooms which have a bit smaller FOV but reportedly equal quality to the ASPH and cost half as much. My favorites are orthos/plossls/Brandons because of their optical quality and ease of use in the binoviewers. My core set is the24mm Brandon, 16mm ZAOII, 12mm Brandon, and 10mm ZAO-II. The more reasonably priced version would be the UO HD or volcano top style orthos in 9, 12.5, 18 and 25mm. For wider field I have the 24mm Pans and 13mm T6 Naglers.

Also, if you have a 2X Powermate, it makes an excellent barlow for the MkVs with the Powermate T-ring installed (which also halves the length of the Powermate).


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Levine
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6079026 - 09/13/13 04:20 PM

Quote:

I can recommend the following eyepeices for the SCTs.

The biggest issue that you will encounter is that the BVs will try to lock you into higher powers and for DSOs, someties you still want a low power for a big exit pupil

For this, I would recommend one of the two:

The Televue 40mm Plossls. In the C14 (and you do want to binoview the C14) will give about the same exit pupil as a 41mm Panoptic. This is the best eyepeice for faint nebula or galaxies because this is about as big an exit pupil as you can get.

The downside is that the apparent field is rather small, being on the order of 44 degrees or so.

If you want to sacrifice a bit of exit pupil for a more pleasing apparent field and a slighly wider true field, then I highly recommend the 35mm Ultimas.

The Televue has a 27mm field stop, but the Ulita has a 28mm field stop. It does not seem like a big deal, but in fact every millimeter helps with the C14. The exit pupil will be a bit smaller though, but the 49 degree apparent field to me is much more satisfying.

I used the 35mm Ultimas more than the 40mm Plossls because of this.

And of course this holds true in all of the scopes, but the ultimas don't have as good off axis performacne in faster scopes as the TV 40s I think.

Next, the ES 24/68s work great.

I used 17mm and 13mm Hyperions in the C14 as well.

It is hard to use the 13mms though, because the BV imposed dimming does rob a bit of light, but I did use them on bright Globulars a lot.

In the C14, my most used planetary pairs were 15mm and 20mm Plossls. You will find it hard to get nights of seeing that support more than the 15, and the 17mm Hyperions were not quite enough mag, though I have used them many times on planets with good result.

The Hyperoins though are big, and if your IPD is tight or you are graces with a larger sniffer, they may be too tight.

A "Split the difference" Alternative is the ES16/68. An excellent excellent eyepeice. This eyepecie could probably bump the need for a 15mm Plossl Pair

I use the 35mm Ultimas a lot though. They have very long eye relieve in the event that you need your glasses and they make it easy to take in the entire field.

This is something that is not commented on much, but I find that even 68 degree wide fields make it hard to take in the whole field. You can't tilt your head with BVs the way you can in monovision withhout causing one eyepecie to kidney bean out.

In general, the 50 degree AFOV eyepeicse actually seem more natural because you simply see the entire field without having to tilt your had.

But I love my ES and Hyperions in the binoviewer and can recommend them.

Not the 24mm Hyp though. Not as nice an experience as the ES 2468s.




This seems to be a reasonable approach, balancing quality, availability, price, and performance!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Levine
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: johnnyha]
      #6079035 - 09/13/13 04:25 PM

Quote:

Levine - If I was going to binoview with them, I would be tempted go with the smaller Leica zooms which have a bit smaller FOV but reportedly equal quality to the ASPH and cost half as much. My favorites are orthos/plossls/Brandons because of their optical quality and ease of use in the binoviewers. My core set is the24mm Brandon, 16mm ZAOII, 12mm Brandon, and 10mm ZAO-II. The more reasonably priced version would be the UO HD or volcano top style orthos in 9, 12.5, 18 and 25mm. For wider field I have the 24mm Pans and 13mm T6 Naglers.

Also, if you have a 2X Powermate, it makes an excellent barlow for the MkVs with the Powermate T-ring installed (which also halves the length of the Powermate).




Hmmmm....

I have singles of what constitutes your "core" set, and the pairs that comprise your extended set are readily available, and affordable, in the aftermarket.
I also have the 2" Powermate.
My Mighty Leica Aspheric will have to stay in the stable...



Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Levine
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Levine]
      #6079163 - 09/13/13 06:01 PM

Ok:

So far, the recommended range seems to fall between 24mm and 16mm, extended to 35/40mm on the low end, and 10mm on the high end.
Pieces suggested ranged from medium-priced widefields to premium narrow-angle glass.

These choices were selected to service long focal length 14/15" systems.

Assuming the following goals:

-Quality
-Flexibility
-Comprehensive
-Cost effective
-Ease of use
-maximum portability

...I propose the following:

I have a Leica Zoom (17.8mm [60*] - 8.9mm [80*]).
Add a second Zoom, along with Pan 24mm X 2 and Ultima 35 X 2.

---> 8.9mm-17.8mm, 24mm, 35mm.

*THREE PAIRS!*

For another ~$895, I would now have a BV duo covering the core of the desired magnifications.

I would still have to buy the 24's and 35's.

The Leica option has several pros/cons:

Pro:
-already have half the set!
-undisputed quality for both planetary and deep sky
-replaces multiple fixed f/l EP's
-avoid wear, tear, & inconvenience of swapping out fixed f/l EP's
-readily available
-wide views
-compact storage compared to multiple pieces
-Easy to sell, if desired

Con:
-Big 'n bulky
-matching up dialed f/l's
-heavy
-can I clear my nose?



Edited by Levine (09/13/13 08:51 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Levine
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Levine]
      #6079304 - 09/13/13 07:48 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

Tammy Homma posted this awesome image in another thread recently.
He, at least, reports no problem using this configuration:

Edited by Levine (09/13/13 07:50 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paul G
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Levine]
      #6079481 - 09/13/13 09:54 PM

Doesn't look like much room for one's proboscis.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Levine
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Paul G]
      #6079490 - 09/13/13 10:02 PM

Quote:

Doesn't look like much room for one's proboscis.






Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
R Botero
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Kent, England
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Levine]
      #6079748 - 09/14/13 02:19 AM

Two good zooms are an excellent option. I use a pair of Mark III Baaders. I also have a couple of 28mm RKEs. With a couple of GPCs, one has all magnifications needed for DSO, solar, planetary and double star observing!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 07/08/04

Loc: New York City
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Levine]
      #6079798 - 09/14/13 04:21 AM

19mm Panoptics!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tomcody
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Levine]
      #6079993 - 09/14/13 09:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't look like much room for one's proboscis.








That's what plastic surgery is for! Just ask for the bino bob.
Rex


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Moonglum
professor emeritus


Reged: 06/01/08

Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Levine]
      #6083847 - 09/16/13 12:25 PM

For viewing the moon in winter I really enjoy using my SV80L(80/600 Lomo-same as your TMB) with MarkV's on Stellarvue M2 mount and Induro 413 camera tripod. Total weight for mount and tripod is 10lbs and collapsed measures 3 feet. I've found best contrast using orthos on the moon, and I've a pair 9mm BGOs and 7mm RGOs that I use with the 1.7X GPC-1.7X when inserted before the diagonal that is. So with these two pairs I get a stable 115X and 145X, all in a package that I fully assemble in my upstairs den and carry one-handed downstairs and out the door. It's the contrast on the moon that makes it special.

You could get pairs of 7 and 9mm Hutech or UO HD orthos shipped for $500.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Levine
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Moonglum]
      #6087154 - 09/18/13 12:15 AM

These are all great ideas and tips!
Keep 'em coming!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Levine
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: R Botero]
      #6087164 - 09/18/13 12:29 AM

The Baader zooms look awesome with that AP!!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mark8888
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 09/24/10

Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: thesubwaypusher]
      #6087233 - 09/18/13 01:47 AM

Quote:

19mm Panoptics!




+1

My favorite pairs of eyepieces for binoviewing with the Mark V, are 24 pans, 19 pans... and binoviewing with the Docter UWA 12.5 is just outstanding. I have stopped using a whole bunch of eyepieces as a result of having the Docters.

Although I haven't used them much yet, I also enjoyed binoviewing with 16mm Brandons.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: Levine]
      #6087296 - 09/18/13 03:27 AM

Now, from the inexpensive but value oriented side of town:
I really like the 25mm Sterlings in my Binotron 27's and in fact have a set of 17's on the way. Yesterday morning my views of M35,36,37,38 and Jupiter helped to further convince me that I am on the right track for my needs anyway.

Eric


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
t.r.
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #6087671 - 09/18/13 10:21 AM

As Johnny wrote, older Leica 7-22 zooms (they are narrower than the APSH model and allow for comfortable binoviewing with high quality images!) and either a pair of 32's or 40's for the large exit pupil. You would be covered. I own and use all of the above!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott99
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! [Re: t.r.]
      #6090202 - 09/19/13 03:52 PM

wow, using zooms on a BV seems like a great idea, if they fit. Would take care of fussing around changing two eyepieces to get the right magnification

My BV'ing falls into 2 categories - DSO and planetary. For DSO I want low magnification, I'm actually using two 25mm Plossls. 24mm Panoptics are the gold standard for low power widefield, I've used them in other scopes many times for great views. Just a little big & bulky for me, I had a 25mm Clave Plossl and had a chance to buy another so I use them.

For planetary you want to be able to fine-tune the magnification for the seeing conditions, so I have 12mm, 10mm and 8mm ortho pairs. The 10mm and 12mm are probably enough for most scopes, you can use the correctors and Barlow to get the magnification in the right range.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tomcody
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Help me assemble a set of EP's for a Mark V! [Re: thesubwaypusher]
      #6090308 - 09/19/13 04:56 PM

Quote:

19mm Panoptics!



+1
Best all around eyepiece pair, followed by 24 Pans and 15 Pans.
I have found the 15 Pans to be very sharp and easy to view with, I had 5 other pairs in that range and kept the Pans over the others.
Rex


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)


Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 1887

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics