Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: << 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | >> (show all)
Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
Re: 102mm achro for cheap new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #6077002 - 09/12/13 01:26 PM

I received the WO binoviewer today. Many thanks to Agena as always for the quick turn around. I have two items to report:

1. The WO binoviewer + GSO Crayford + Baader T-2 Prism diagonal comes to focus with the WO 1.6x barlow nosepiece having about 40mm inward focus to spare. Without the barlow it is pretty dang close. If I can come up with a low profile T-2 compatible eyepiece clamp for the diagonal, I believe I can achieve focus without shortening the tube. I am currently using a Baader 2" Clocklock eyepiece clamp with an Antares 1.25/2" twist lock adapter.

2. Amazingly, I am very happy to report that the WO binoviewer + Baader 2" Herschel Wedge + GSO Crayford comes to focus with the 1.6x barlow with about 1-2mm to spare! The supplied WO 20mm 66 degree EP's with the 1.6x barlow nosepiece still have enough f.o.v. for the entire solar disk. We have very hazy skies at the moment but can already tell the view is going to be a treat! Skies are supposed to clear this afternoon so looking forward to a better view of the Sun through the binoviewer.

I am really looking forward to bino viewing the Moon this evening with both the C102 and C8!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: 102mm achro for cheap new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #6077068 - 09/12/13 01:50 PM

I forgot to mention that I also picked up a Baader Fringe Killer filter that I will be experimenting with viewing Venus, the Moon and Saturn both on it's own and paired with the Baader M&SG.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #6077182 - 09/12/13 02:36 PM

Oh your going to have fun tonight!

Nice set up with the GSO focuser and T2 prism! How do you like your new focuser vs the stock one that came with the scope? Using my BV on it last night was a little much of a strain on it with the added weight and had to rack the focuser out pretty far to get it in focus.

The WO BV is a hoot in the C8 and expect the Moon to look pretty big in it. BTW, the 20mm EP in it give you more like 120x than the standard 20mm in mono at 100x.

Don't forger Saturn in the C8 bino before it gets down too far.

Oh and send over some of your clear skies over to here in NC

Bob

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: 102mm achro for cheap new [Re: REC]
      #6077202 - 09/12/13 02:48 PM

Unfortunately it appears my binoviewer is out of collimation. While solar viewing I could not merge both eyes, then noticed that when I rotated the left diopter the unmerged sunspot also rotated. While rotating the right diopter, no rotation. I verified both eyepieces were properly seated...

REC
Post Laureate

#6077222 - 09/12/13 02:58 PM

Oh no...hate when new gear comes in and it don't work and big bummer on the BV

Just the other day I got a new skyglow filter in for this scope to help with the CA a little and the glass was loose in the ring and rattling. After i calmed down I realized that I only had to tighten the retainer ring and all is ok. Of course rain and clouds for two days and have to wait til Sat. to check it out.

BTW...where are you in TN? Got an Astro buddy there that observes a lot.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#6077233 - 09/12/13 03:03 PM

Semi rural location east of Memphis. Far enough away that I have mag 6+ skies N/S/E and zenith, but west not so much

REC
Post Laureate

Re: 102mm achro for cheap new [Re: David E]
      #6077242 - 09/12/13 03:09 PM

BTW..I want to secure my scope better to my Orion VersaGo mount and the short dovetail is not a good match for balancing the scope. Don't know why they did not center it on the tube better??

So my choices are to buy a longer dovetail bar or buy rings AND a longer dovetail bar. Can I use a new longer dovetail bar using the same screws that are being used for the existing one or do I have to drill new holes? Or, do I just get rings with the dovetail attached and no drilling?

I see the bar from Agena is about $25.

I see some have used the ES rings, dovetail bar with handle. These are $45+ shipping. Any other retailer selling the ES rings with free shipping?

Any other options besides ES...I want to keep the weight to minimum for this mount I'm using. They say it's good for up to 10lb. load.

Thanks,

Bob

REC
Post Laureate

Re: 102mm achro for cheap new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #6077293 - 09/12/13 03:41 PM

Boy you got that right on the grease! I got some on my hand and had a heck of a time getting it off. I have some white lithium grease, would that work ok?

So how do you get rid of the old greae (glue), do you have to remove the focuser from the tube to clean out the old stuff.....what do you use to clean it out?

Finally, did the new lube make the focus much smoother?

Thanks!

Bob

cavefrog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/11/08

Loc: loozyanna
Re: 102mm achro for cheap new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6077302 - 09/12/13 03:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I also have a Siebert bino optical corrector power wheel that works pretty good with an objective solar filter .

Theo

Too bad Siebert doesn't make them any more ... or does he?

Mike

Mine is an obsolete model, but he makes an upgraded one here . scroll down about 2/3 of the page.

Theo

REC
Post Laureate

Re: 102mm achro for cheap new [Re: ohioalfa64]
      #6077308 - 09/12/13 03:48 PM

Did you ever get an answer on this?

REC
Post Laureate

Re: 102mm achro for cheap new [Re: jag767]
      #6077318 - 09/12/13 03:51 PM

How did the side by side comparison do?? I have both scopes now, but the sky has not been good since I got it.

Ed Holland
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/16/10

Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK
      #6077374 - 09/12/13 04:27 PM

Paint thinner/mineral spirits will remove the grease nicely without upsetting the scope's finishes.

Ed

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
      #6077381 - 09/12/13 04:31 PM

Quote:

Boy you got that right on the grease! I got some on my hand and had a heck of a time getting it off. I have some white lithium grease, would that work ok?

So how do you get rid of the old greae (glue), do you have to remove the focuser from the tube to clean out the old stuff.....what do you use to clean it out?

Finally, did the new lube make the focus much smoother?

Thanks!

Bob

I have not yet done mine yet but I found some good stuff when I did my CGEM Hypertune.

The first thing is CRC Lectra Motive Motor Parts Cleaner. After spraying this on the gunk it should become liquid which will allow you to wipe it off with a paper towel. The result feels like a clean surface that has a thin layer of 3-in-one oil on it. More paper towels will dry it out fairly well.

The next thing is optional. It is CRC Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner. After you spray this on the parts you previously cleaned with the other cleaner you can wipe it with a paper towel and it will be bone dry and super clean.

Final, Ed Thomas of Deep Space Products always recommends Super Lube from Ace Hardware.

I got the CRC stuff from a local car parts store and the Super Lube seems to only be available from Ace Hardware.

While I haven't re-greased my focuser yet my experience with these products makes me think they should work brilliantly. I suppose it is possible that the glue on the focuser is immune to the first item above but I will be surprised if that is the case.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
      #6077451 - 09/12/13 05:21 PM

Quote:

... do you have to remove the focuser from the tube to clean out the old stuff

Thanks!

Bob

PeterR280 made a long series of photos showing us how to take the focuser apart to clean it. You can find the first one here.

REC
Post Laureate

Re: 102mm achro for cheap new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #6077494 - 09/12/13 05:40 PM

Thanks for the link...very nice clear instructions!

KarlL
sage

Reged: 12/14/12

Loc: Northern Illinois
      #6077571 - 09/12/13 06:35 PM

Bob -

I thought the rated load for the VersaGo was 15 lbs., or is that for the VersaGo II?

Regards,

Karl

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#6078562 - 09/13/13 11:26 AM

I resolved the issue with the WO BV. I think opening then out all the way a few times was what did the trick. The images are now merged and rotating the left eyepiece doesn't cause the image to rotate! Woohoo!

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #6078580 - 09/13/13 11:40 AM

Brandon, is this your first bino experience? If so, you're in for a treat when you look at Jupiter!!! The binos actually cancel some of the CA because of a dimmer image. But you'll be amazed at the additional details and the 3D effect. Look at the MOON!!!

REC
Post Laureate

#6078705 - 09/13/13 12:52 PM

Excellent, going out tonight with them?

We have great skies this weekend and really excited about using this scope overall and the BV on the moon tonight

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: 102mm achro for cheap [Re: REC]
      #6079216 - 09/13/13 06:45 PM

Yep, clear skies! Saturn, Moon and perhaps Jupiter in the morning are on the agenda!

I have been viewing the sun today and really enjoy the BV. I decided to order a x1 OCA from Bill Siebert... Next month i will need to work on a few EP pairs for my Brandons.

Pages: << 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | >> (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39198

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics