Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
What’s Up - NGC 7000 and NGC 6997 in Cygnus
      #6079868 - 09/14/13 06:32 AM

What’s Up - NGC 7000 and NGC 6997 in Cygnus

By Steve Coe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: What’s Up - NGC 7000 and NGC 6997 in Cygnus new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #6088430 - 09/18/13 04:56 PM

While a narrow-band nebula filter like the Lumicon UHC can really help the visibility of the North America Nebula, the "filter of choice" for this object is a good Oxygen III line filter like the Lumicon OIII or Thousand Oaks OIII LP-3. On NGC 7000, the OIII filter provides superior contrast over the narrow-band filters, and really makes the object stand out notably better. In particular, a slightly brighter "spine" like feature down the western part of the "Mexico" region of the nebula really stands out when using the OIII filter. Interestingly enough, the North America Nebula also is helped by a good H-Beta filter, although not quite as much as with the OIII filter. One of my favorite views of NGC 7000 comes with my 100mm f/6 refractor at 15x and 25x using the OIII filter under a fairly dark sky, so it doesn't exactly take a huge aperture to see this fine object. Clear skies to you.

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: What’s Up - NGC 7000 and NGC 6997 in Cygnus new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6088754 - 09/18/13 07:55 PM

Steve,
Thanks for sharing a fine review. Interestingly I mopped Cygnus and had discussions about the mix up with NGC6996 and NGC6997 in fact I contacted Tim at Southern Stars to ask if they could adjust the locations since they are imposed over each other. Regardless, 6996 and 6997 were my targets of interest.

David,

For wide field, I prefer the UHC on NGC7000, but I'll dabble in it again with the OIII.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: What’s Up - NGC 7000 and NGC 6997 in Cygnus new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #6088778 - 09/18/13 08:13 PM

David;

You know that I dislike the effect of the OIII and have long since sold mine. But the "spine" you mention does show up nicely in the image I took with a 300mm lens and a Canon Xt with the Hutech modification. There is certainly lots of see in and around this area.

Daniel, it seems that there are some of these errata from 150 years ago that may never be really solved. We can only take the "best guess" of the experts. I went with Brent Archinal and Dr. Harold Corwin.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: What’s Up - NGC 7000 and NGC 6997 in Cygnus new [Re: stevecoe]
      #6097758 - 09/24/13 12:56 AM

Nice article on one of my favorites, Steve.

David, I don't think I've ever tried my O-III on it; I'll give it a try.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What’s Up - NGC 7000 and NGC 6997 in Cygnus new [Re: Spaced]
      #6097783 - 09/24/13 01:25 AM

Spaced, glad to hear that you enjoyed the article. I have probably used all the different types of RFT's I have owned over the years on the North American Nebula. A fascinating and rather unique object.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
      #6099215 - 09/24/13 07:48 PM

Always enjoy your articles Steve! This is an object that I always tried to find with no avail. Seems I'll need a lower power eyepiece for the 6 inch. On the other hand, I built a little 50mm finder with a diagonal. I can make a little mini tabletop mount for it and use a wide field eyepiece with my UHC. Hopefully I should be able to see it. One quick question: in your opinion, is it easier to see than the fainter section of the Veil (6992)?

Thanks again Steve

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What’s Up - NGC 7000 and NGC 6997 in Cygnus new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6099537 - 09/24/13 11:26 PM

Justin;

Always happy to hear from a satisfied "customer".

I think that with the UHC filter the Veil would be easier to pick out. The surface brightness of the North American is lower, I think. Try binoculars, but to be honest, truly dark skies are the best aid to seeing either of these objects.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
      #6099714 - 09/25/13 02:45 AM

Steve,

Something I wanted to mention that I never have. A few years ago, my grandpa had given me a copy of your Deep Sky Observing book, and I began to flip through it, completely astounded by your works of art in the sketches that you make. At this point, I was making very crude undetailed sketches of Jupiter and Mars. When I saw your sketches, the technique simply blew me away, and since then I have always strived to make similar observations and sketches. I believing sketching is the one thing that propelled me the most in astronomy, all because of you and your sketches.

Thank you

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What’s Up - NGC 7000 and NGC 6997 in Cygnus new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6099884 - 09/25/13 08:14 AM

Justin;

I thank you very much for your kind words, I am happy that you have enjoyed my sketches over the years. I find it is a more personal way to capture the views of the sky. I do enjoy astrophotography, but sketches are more personal.

I do think that one has to give themselves permission to mess up their drawings at the beginning. You can't expect to get great results at the start.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 956

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics