Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
Mr Greybush
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/13

Loc: Virginia
cpc tangled cables
      #6092915 - 09/21/13 07:36 AM

Has people owning this scope have the same issue as I do. You setup the scope plug in the cables for your heater's and power to find yourself unwrapping them from around the mount during your session? Would there be any suggestions to help prevent this from happening?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SporQ

Reged: 09/03/13

Loc: Indiana, USA
Re: cpc tangled cables new [Re: Mr Greybush]
      #6092943 - 09/21/13 08:07 AM

Hello,

I plan my viewing, start at one end of the sky and then work my way around. My cables are in a sheath and I just move the battery if it is a problem.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #6093024 - 09/21/13 09:18 AM

Well for powering the scope itself, the Starizona battery pack works great to eliminate cord wrap as it rides right on the base of the mount. For dew heaters and other accessories, some wrap the cords through the handle on the side of the fork and leave plenty of slack on the ground to avoid stressing them.

zippeee
sage

Reged: 12/27/10

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: cpc tangled cables new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #6093216 - 09/21/13 11:16 AM

As far as cord wrap goes, I've never had a problem. I use the cord wrap feature and it works perfectly. I've always been a little anal when it comes to cabling of any sort. Velcro on a roll works well for bundling wires. It has the added benefit of being able to stick to self adhesive velcro patches (the opposite side of course) placed on the OTA, allowing you place them wherever they work best.

In this image there are 4 heaters and 1 temp probe, none of which dangle or get caught anywhere. The dew controller and the mount cables are then neatly directed to the battery, with enough slack to revolve through 180 degrees.

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #6093771 - 09/21/13 04:39 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Hi John,

First, to minimize the issue, I always use the Cordwrap function. With a few caveats, this prevents the scope from rotating more than 360.

Second, as shown below, I replaced both the scope's and dew controller's power cords with coiled cords.

Works for me!

Don

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: cpc tangled cables new [Re: Digital Don]
      #6093967 - 09/21/13 06:59 PM

I move my power tank, and leave generous cabling. I disable cord wrap, however, as I want the fastest slews. I do also wrap cords through the handle to provide strain relief just in case.

I've got enough slack to do a 360 degree rotation should I forget to move the power tank, but I usually only have to move it twice a night (mostly when it would be where the chair needs to be for good viewing).

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/04

Loc: Westchester, NY
Re: cpc tangled cables new [Re: Sorny]
      #6094387 - 09/22/13 01:07 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Always have cordwrap on. Make an umbilical with appropriate connectors on the end that runs from your power source(s). Make sure it has enough slack; fasten it first to a tripod leg and at the other end to the scope handle. I use a C-clamp that has a flat side on it to velcro the dew controller. Multiple power cables for Mallincam, screen and some other doo-dads. This is an older photo, I have even more wires in the umbilical. Never have a problem.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 440

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics