Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: 1
BobH
sage

Reged: 01/03/08

Loc: Right Coast
ETX-125 Mounting Alternatives new
      #4887384 - 10/29/11 05:53 PM

Would like to hear suggestions/advice for mounting the ETX-125 tube on alternate mounts.

Thanks,

Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/11/07

Loc: Exit 135 / 40 North
Re: ETX-125 Mounting Alternatives new [Re: BobH]
      #4889232 - 10/30/11 08:04 PM

Bob, I have recently moved up to a CG-5 ASGT mount, Celestron's Goto GEM, & an Astronomics Voyager Alt-Az; both have Vixen dovetail mounts. My ultimate goal is to have a few OTAs and only 2 mounts, this will give me the ability to choose which optical tube and mount configuration I want for that evenings observing. You could easily put a Vixen dovetail on the ETX-125's 1/4-20 mount on the bottom of the OTA and defork... I still have my ETX-125, but I am seriously considering selling the ETX-125 as the CG-5 ASGT goto ability is as good as the Autostar, and I can mount most OTA's from a 60mm refractor to an 8" SCT, and anything in between on either mount.

My $0.02,
Jaimo!

BobH
sage

Re: ETX-125 Mounting Alternatives new [Re: Jaimo!]
      #4889800 - 10/31/11 06:26 AM

Jaimo,

I have a CGEM and iOptron Minitower. Am getting tired of the inaccurate Gotos of the ETX and thought I might mount the ETX tube on one of the other mounts. Was just wondering if there are any special consideration to keep in mind when doing that.

And if it doesn't work out, how hard is it to reassemble the ETX? I've looked around on Weasner's site, but haven't yet found the guidance I need.

I don't want to screw it up, as I may try to sell it.

Thanks,

Bob

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
      #4890422 - 10/31/11 02:18 PM

Bad GoTo's are a sign that the motors need to be recalibrated and trained. I got rough GoTos until I figured out the calibration step. A master reset can also help. There are two mounting points on the underside of the ETX-125 OTA, but I don't think that I'd want to hang the weight of the scope from there. A set of tube rings and a saddle plate might work well.

Pierre Stromberg
sage

Reged: 02/07/08

Loc: Woodinville, WA
Re: ETX-125 Mounting Alternatives new [Re: jgraham]
      #4890770 - 10/31/11 06:35 PM

I just picked up a deforked ETX-125 for forty bucks. I got a dovetail mount from ScopeStuff and put it on my Atlas EQG. It's a winning combination.

P

BobH
sage

Re: ETX-125 Mounting Alternatives new [Re: jgraham]
      #4890771 - 10/31/11 06:35 PM

Quote:

Bad GoTo's are a sign that the motors need to be recalibrated and trained. I got rough GoTos until I figured out the calibration step. A master reset can also help. There are two mounting points on the underside of the ETX-125 OTA, but I don't think that I'd want to hang the weight of the scope from there. A set of tube rings and a saddle plate might work well.

The tube rings and saddle plate method was what I was thinking about. Was hoping someone had done that and could recommend the components.

BobH
sage

Re: ETX-125 Mounting Alternatives new [Re: Pierre Stromberg]
      #4891507 - 11/01/11 07:41 AM

Quote:

I just picked up a deforked ETX-125 for forty bucks. I got a dovetail mount from ScopeStuff and put it on my Atlas EQG. It's a winning combination.

P

Pierre,

Can you tell me which dovetail you bought and how you attached it to the OTA?

Thanks,

Bob

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
      #4891865 - 11/01/11 12:09 PM

Quote:

... Am getting tired of the inaccurate Gotos of the ETX and thought I might mount the ETX tube on one of the other mounts...

I find that after about 12 to 18 months my ETX125PE needs a little tune up because the go-to's are getting off. So I reset the hand controler, train the drives and recalibrate the motors. After doing that, all's well for another year or more. My ETX125PE is now about seven years old and going strong. If I were you I would not give up so easily on a great little grab and go scope for a mount that will never be a grab and go setup. I have other scopes that are used like that.

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/11/07

Loc: Exit 135 / 40 North
Re: ETX-125 Mounting Alternatives new [Re: blb]
      #4893393 - 11/02/11 09:09 AM

Sorry, I have not checked back on this post for a few days.

Bob, I have not deforked my ETX... Rather, I figured the ETX-125 was worth more as a complete system, so I purchased the new mount and 6" Intes Mak OTA. It works fine, so the CFO is leaning on me to sell off the ETX-125. However, I think with a little care and caution, it can be done. I have seen a few ETX forks for sale in the classifieds, and people are buying them... That tells ms that it can be removed and re-installed.

If I were to add a dovetail to the ETX OTA, the simplest would be as Pierre has described.

I also agree with Buddy, I have routinely trained the drives on my ETX about once a year & never had any real problems with the go-to.

Also, if I sell my ETX, can I still visit this forum...?

Jaimo!

Pierre Stromberg
sage

Reged: 02/07/08

Loc: Woodinville, WA
      #4900996 - 11/06/11 03:33 PM

Hi Bob, I got this one from ScopeStuff.

It comes with the standard photo screws which just attach to the bottom of the ETX-125 OTA. It was quite simple once you've removed the forks. The broken pieces of the fork were removed with a simple allen wrench. Hope that helps.

P

BobH
sage

#4902077 - 11/07/11 06:29 AM

Thanks. I should have checked Scope Stuff myself. I didn't realize there was a dedicated plate just for the ETX...that's perfect!

I tried the training and calibrating again, with little improvement. Plus, now I think I've broken (or at least strained) the az lever, so it's "off with his head!"

Thanks again.

Bob

Stavos

Reged: 03/31/11

Loc: Farmington, Missouri
      #6093763 - 09/21/13 04:34 PM

Quote:

Hi Bob, I got this one from ScopeStuff.

It comes with the standard photo screws which just attach to the bottom of the ETX-125 OTA. It was quite simple once you've removed the forks. The broken pieces of the fork were removed with a simple allen wrench. Hope that helps.

P

Been looking for ETX stuff, man you saved me a ton of searching. Thank you so much.

Steve

RichardHK
sage

Reged: 11/25/06

Loc: Hong Kong
Re: ETX-125 Mounting Alternatives [Re: Stavos]
      #6094809 - 09/22/13 10:44 AM

Steve,

I just bought the 6.3" rings, felt, and dovetail from ScopeStuff and all fine. Only 'problem' was trimming down felt to get good fit on tube. Part numbers are CR63, FL82, and EQD6.

I read about another CNer here who suggested NOT to use the installed mounting on the ETX-125 as being plastic it actually broke on him but he was lucky to catch OTA before it hit the deck.

My deforked ETX-125 runs fine now on a Portamount but waiting on my new AVX later this month.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2616

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics