Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1
derikd
Vendor (Celestron)

Reged: 01/14/13

Loc: Torrance, CA, USA
Celestron StarSense new
      #6092576 - 09/20/13 10:08 PM

Everyone,

Celestron would like to apologize for the recent lack of communications with regard to updates on the SSA. We have been working hard to isolate and resolve several problems reported by our customers. While this work was being completed we created an unintentional communications black out. Celestron has taken measures that we believe will prevent this kind of communications failure in the future. This message on a public forum is a part of those measures.

As of this writing we have created a correction package that we believe will fix the biggest problems reported problems with SSA. These problems include, but are not limited to, those pertaining to use of SSA with the CGE and CGEpro, and the occasional camera lock up. The correction tool has been released to a few brave souls for use on their equipment. If the tool proves to be safe, and if the firmware is as beneficial for them as it was in our own internal testing, then we will make a public beta of this tool available on the Team Celestron "public beta" forums by Tuesday September 24.

For leagal/liability reasons we won't be posting the package here on CN. If you have a SSA, and you want to get the beta on Tuesday, then you must create an account on TeamCelestron.com _and_ sign up for the public_beta user group. Instructions for the latter will be visible as soon as you create your account. While you are at it, sign up for the StarSense Accessory and StarSense_HC product groups.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: derikd]
      #6092667 - 09/20/13 11:27 PM

Hi,
I think this is great news. I'm glad all these problems are fixed. And I'm especially happy to hear the CGE and CGE Pro mounts will be able to use the SS accessory now. Hopefully Celestron is still sending out the next batch soon and isn't holding them back. I'm ready for mine to be delivered.

Thank you Derik and Celestron for letting us know whats going on. And I think this new policy is a great ideal.

Neilson

Carrera991

Reged: 10/27/12

#6092724 - 09/21/13 12:29 AM

Quote:

Everyone,

Celestron would like to apologize for the recent lack of communications with regard to updates on the SSA. We have been working hard to isolate and resolve several problems reported by our customers. While this work was being completed we created an unintentional communications black out. Celestron has taken measures that we believe will prevent this kind of communications failure in the future. This message on a public forum is a part of those measures.

As of this writing we have created a correction package that we believe will fix the biggest problems reported problems with SSA. These problems include, but are not limited to, those pertaining to use of SSA with the CGE and CGEpro, and the occasional camera lock up. The correction tool has been released to a few brave souls for use on their equipment. If the tool proves to be safe, and if the firmware is as beneficial for them as it was in our own internal testing, then we will make a public beta of this tool available on the Team Celestron "public beta" forums by Tuesday September 24.

For leagal/liability reasons we won't be posting the package here on CN. If you have a SSA, and you want to get the beta on Tuesday, then you must create an account on TeamCelestron.com _and_ sign up for the public_beta user group. Instructions for the latter will be visible as soon as you create your account. While you are at it, sign up for the StarSense Accessory and StarSense_HC product groups.

Derik,

Thank you for the update. I have been one of the harshest critics and it was because of the lack of communication on Celestron's part. The fact that it took 3 weeks for a patch to fix these problems is not the issue. Three weeks is pretty good. I am on Team Celestron. In the future add me to the list of "brave souls" to further the development effort.

Thanks,

Chris

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Carrera991]
      #6093081 - 09/21/13 09:55 AM

Hi,
I wonder if this fix will also correct the accuracy issues some people are having with their goto's.

Neilson

A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #6093143 - 09/21/13 10:31 AM

I am still a skeptic of the StarSense accessory, however I am pleased to see Celestron taking an active role in trying to get it to work properly for its customers. Let me tell you why I will not buy it... yet.

1. It does not really seem to save that much time in setup and I hibernate my scopes so the savings on auto-alignment are inconsequential.

2. It is overpriced for the simple function of 'auto alignment'

3. It replaced the HC, sure, so maybe it should be shipped with new higher-end telescopes in any case... hence this seems to be future add-on accessory that will come standard with Celestron telescopes.

Given my views above, I think this device is not worth much more than 2x a HC or $199 and likely on the used market in a year it will probably go for even less.

Ok. As a skeptical user... What would make me buy it?

Easy. Winter is coming. I do not observe from outside in the winter, I stay cozy warm inside. Yet I do have to go outside and do alignment and whatnot. Hence, the holy grail for me and what would make me pay up for the StarSense today is the ability to basically have the NexRemote equivalent HC on my desktop computer and ALL FUNCTIONALITY of the StarSense in a remote control app on the computer or IoS device. Wirelessly, ideally... but ok I can do serial over USB also. Get that and I think its a great accessory. Otherwise its neat gizmo that I just don't need.

Al

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6093186 - 09/21/13 11:00 AM

That function you desire is being worked on as we speak. They have run into a difficulty or two that has slowed thing down a bit.

I would like to see a more modular approach. Something that reverts to standard alignment when the camera malfunctions or is unplugged. Software that runs off the PC without a HC would be a very good idea. The total integration and systems failure if a piece of that system fails is one the worries I have with the LX850 approach. Being able to build a system like the LX850 starlock piecemeal, appeals to me.

Edited by Stew57 (09/21/13 11:15 AM)

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6093200 - 09/21/13 11:08 AM

I not know if the pointing problems are user error on not. We have not had conditions conducive to testing in our area much. I have noted that slewing to an object, adding a calibration point, then slewing to that object again will put you at 2 arcminutes or closer. It seems to mess up subsequent slews across the meridian afterwards however. Again this could be due to pilot error.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6094894 - 09/22/13 11:33 AM

Hi,
Yes I keep hearing that we can add another calibration point then slew there again. But I don't want to have to be doing that all night. With my 2+4 alignment using a reticule I get dead on gotos every time. When I slew to something that I want to image, I like being able to count on that the item I selected is centered or close to being centered in the imaging sensor. I get that now on my CGE with the 9.25 EdgeHD, and I'm hoping that the starsense will be just as accurate.

It's nice to know that I can add a calibration point then re slew to the object if needed. But I'm hoping that I will rarely need it if ever.

Neilson

hrgreen

Reged: 02/02/13

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: neilson]
      #6096332 - 09/23/13 07:55 AM

derikd, my SS was working on the 12th, but on the 19th, it would not Align on Manual or Auto after the (almost full) Moon came into sight. I have heard the same from several other owners. Can this be investigated?

Hal

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: hrgreen]
      #6103866 - 09/27/13 10:27 AM

Hi,
Were there any design or component changes after beta testing. GPS problem, CGE line problem, Lock up problems, Moon lite problems. There are a lot of problems for something that was beta tested. And some units worked fine then stopped working. I expected much better for $329. Now we have to worry if ours is going stop working at some future date.

Neilson

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 945

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics