Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Michael Morris

Reged: 01/05/05

Loc: Worcestershire, UK
BBC to axe Sky at Night
      #6096360 - 09/23/13 08:19 AM

In their infinity stupidity, the BBC has announce ther plans to axe the Sky at Night. Please sign the e petition to try to convince tham this is a bad idea.
epetition

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
seawolfe
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: BBC to axe Sky at Night new [Re: Michael Morris]
      #6096379 - 09/23/13 08:31 AM

I signed!

I absolutely LOVE this show! The new presenter team has had a while to get their act together without Sir Patrick and in my mind have done extremely well.

I hope that the BBC gets a lot of mail asking that they change their mind. I would hope that they would realize how much of an impact this show and their magazine impacts the world.

Edited by seawolfe (09/23/13 08:32 AM)

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
      #6096385 - 09/23/13 08:35 AM

Quote:

In their infinity stupidity, the BBC has announce ther plans to axe the Sky at Night.

Where did you get this information? The programme appears to be scheduled at least until Dec 2013, which is much further ahead than BBC schedules are normally published for.

Michael Morris

Re: BBC to axe Sky at Night new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6096396 - 09/23/13 08:43 AM

December is due to be the last show.

karstenkoch
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: GMT+9
      #6096451 - 09/23/13 09:19 AM

Thanks for the notice. I just signed. I'm afraid that this may not be the last time meaningful shows like this have to compete with So-and-So's Got Talent and the like.

sftonkin
sage

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: W. Hampshire , UK
Re: BBC to axe Sky at Night new [Re: karstenkoch]
      #6096881 - 09/23/13 01:52 PM

The BBC#s problem with science is summed up by this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10289540/BBC-humanities-gradu...

brianb11213
Postmaster

Re: BBC to axe Sky at Night new [Re: sftonkin]
      #6096921 - 09/23/13 02:18 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but for all their problems, their "science" coverage is still way, waaay ahead of the commercial channels, on either side of the sleugh.

As for Sky at Night: I would have no objection to dropping the shortened versions broadcast on BBC1 & BBC2, these are difficult to watch because of the ever changing timings in any case. As there is no analogue TV signal in the UK any more, tuning to BBC4 shouldn't be an issue.

The programme seems to have lost its focus to some extent since Sir Patrick's last broadcast. Change was inevitable & I think it's fair to give the new presenting team a bit more time to "bed in" before writing it off as a bad job. In fact there is more content of direct interest to "skywatchers" (entry level amateur astronomers) than there used to be ... I don't see this as a Bad Thing; quite the reverse, in fact.

I would like to see a formal announcement of the ending of the programme together with details of what, if anything, might replace it before going to the bother of petitioning.

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #6096959 - 09/23/13 02:50 PM

I wonder if this show can be viewed in the USA? We get the BBC in our cable group. What night of the week and what time of the month is it usually shown?

Bill

brianb11213
Postmaster

Re: BBC to axe Sky at Night new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #6096965 - 09/23/13 02:55 PM

Quote:

What night of the week and what time of the month is it usually shown?

It gets shoved around a bit. Schedule of transmissions for Oct/Nov/Dec 2013 here (bottom of the page)

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
      #6096967 - 09/23/13 02:56 PM

They should try to talk Brian May into hosting the show. With his "axe".

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: BBC to axe Sky at Night new [Re: sftonkin]
      #6096981 - 09/23/13 03:10 PM

Quote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10289540/BBC-humanities-gradu...

...to boil the above link down to its essence, it's because BBC's producers have backgrounds in the humanities, and assume the audience is as clueless and phobic about the technical details of science as they are.

In Salt Lake City, there's a purported "contemporary science technology" museum (called "The Leonardo" ) that seems as if it was designed by humanities and art majors whose actual exposure to science was a "physics for poets" course in college. The actual science and technology information quotient in the exhibits is so thin and superficial as to be nearly worthless, with techno-exhibits seemingly chosen and designed more for their cool art quotient than their substantive information content. The result is something that's not very good at being either a science or an art museum; a TOTAL waste of time and admission fee.

CONTRAST AND COMPARE the *other* notable science museum in Salt Lake City, the Natural History Museum of Utah which is a wonderful example of a true science museum whose exhibits are well-designed to accessibly hold interest for viewers of any age or depth of expertise, from school children to Phds. Well ok, the astronomy portion of the museum is rather skimpy, but the parts exploring the biological and geological history of Utah are as good as any I've seen anywhere, including the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington, DC although of course the Utah museum doesn't have quite the same size and breadth. But what they've got is just as deep, and the public eagerly flocks to both.

Irony is, the Utah Museum of Natural history building is a splendid piece of artwork unto itself, whereas the Leonardo is housed in an undistinguished squat box that was the former home of the downtown city library.

TO TIE THIS INTO THE ISSUE AT HAND: All you need do is consider how contaminated the History channel and even the Discovery channel are with dumbed-down junk. It wouldn't be surprising if the BBC is falling prey to the same disease, in the purported interest of attracting more eyeballs to their programming than more substantive fare would.

Edited by FirstSight (09/23/13 04:45 PM)

sg6
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/14/10

Loc: Norfolk, UK.
      #6097031 - 09/23/13 03:54 PM

After Sir Patrick Moore died the program did have a bit of an identity crisis. They seemed to try arrangements that really did not come across.

The last one I saw, from Cambridge, was well presented. It was a visit to Cambridge, talks with the head of the Astronomy school, a good description by one of the post grads about a dust cloud falling into the black hole at the centre of the milky way. No great technical knowledge required and well presented. They then had a visit to an Astro Society and gave some ideas of what to look at.

Nice, kept simple and well presented.

If they maintained that as an general arrangement - visit a university, cover one aspect of research there then an astro club and what to look at, then for a 30 minute program it would do well.

There are enough universities, the publicity would be useful to them and finish with an idea of what is up there to look at. Nice and easy.

Ed Holland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/16/10

Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK
Re: BBC to axe Sky at Night new [Re: sg6]
      #6097503 - 09/23/13 09:55 PM

I hope they can find some way to continue. Compared to many BBC offerings the production costs must be miniscule. Of course, Sir Patrick is irreplacable, but surely with a little thought a good anchor man could be found to maintain a serious factual theme.

(I might live in the USA but I'm still a licence payer!)

Science does suffer from neglect on TV. There are offerings like Horizon (frequently the content is shared and repackaged for the Nova series on US public television) but it is usually superficial, or spends too long getting "to the point" (my opinion, of course). Or there is sensational stuff that relies on explosions and wacky presenters...

Just my 2p

Ed

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: BBC to axe Sky at Night new [Re: Ed Holland]
      #6098177 - 09/24/13 10:32 AM

Indeed Science does suffer from neglect on TV, it looks like TV station managers prefer millions to watch soap opera, cooking programs and sports all day long...
The Sky At Night needs a new icon, choices are on Dr Brian Cox and/or Dr Brian May...
Online petition has 3000 supporter so far
http://www.change.org/petitions/the-bbc-please-do-not-axe-the-sky-at-night?sh...

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

#6098179 - 09/24/13 10:34 AM

Quote:

I wonder if this show can be viewed in the USA? We get the BBC in our cable group. What night of the week and what time of the month is it usually shown?
Bill

There's a monthly Sky At Night magazine which has a DVD with the latest show on it and mostly also a "classic" episode:
http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/

mblack
Throw me a bone here

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: Florida, USA.
      #6099446 - 09/24/13 10:31 PM

Quote:

In their infinity stupidity, the BBC has announce ther plans to axe the Sky at Night. Please sign the e petition to try to convince tham this is a bad idea.
epetition

Thanks

Wish you luck in this endeavor.

As an avid viewer and fan of Sir Patrick and His show, I remember when the BBC blocked content to IP addresses outside the UK, ending my ability to view this wonderful, informative and unique program here in the United States.

Then Sir Patrick Moore passed on, and the whole issue of my interest in the program, and frustration with the BBC passed with him.

All of which is no reason that a fine program should be ended without a fight.

Petition signed. Sir Patrick Moore deserves to have this piece of his legacy continue on.

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Re: BBC to axe Sky at Night new [Re: mblack]
      #6099781 - 09/25/13 05:13 AM

English Heritage envisaged to put blue plaque at FarThings, the late Sir Patrick Moore's house in Selsey on the English southcoast:

http://www.chichester.co.uk/news/top-stories/latest/tributes-to-selsey-starga...

Michael Morris

Re: BBC to axe Sky at Night new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #6099914 - 09/25/13 08:33 AM

Now over 12,000 signatures in just two days, brilliant.
However, we need more many more if we are to stand a chance of signifcantly influencing the BBC! Please spread the word.

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

#6100093 - 09/25/13 10:35 AM

Passing 15000 supporters... worldwide support from Europe (Astroforum.nl) to USA (cloudyNights.com) to Australia (IceInSpace.com.au)

Dave M
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
Re: BBC to axe Sky at Night new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #6100110 - 09/25/13 10:48 AM

Signed..
Love the magazine and included cd.
Best of Luck...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1908

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics