Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
wavecloud
sage

Reged: 09/22/13

Mount for 6" RC?
      #6096840 - 09/23/13 01:26 PM

What kind of a mount is tood for a 6" RC astrograph?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jbalsam
sage

Reged: 07/06/12

Loc: Darnestown, MD
Re: Mount for 6" RC? new [Re: wavecloud]
      #6096910 - 09/23/13 02:10 PM

There are several mounts that I know of that are suitable for this. I personally use a celestron CGE mount (with a guidescope), which would be more than fine for a 6" RC scope (a used CGE goes for around $1600-2000). The newer CGEM mounts are also quite capable of these longer exposures when guided, and they're a bit cheaper I think. Losmandy's GM8 or G11 mounts would also be great choices (a bit more expensive, as far as I've seen, but they seem to last forever and retain their value). I've also seen people get good results using the Atlas mount. If you have some extra coin lying around, you could also get a used astro-physics mount (the AP-400 ($3-4k) would probably work fine, and the mach1 ($6-8k) or larger definitely would). They're great mounts, and they seem to never lose much value, so you can always resell it later.

If you go on astrobin.com and search for AT6RC you'll see lots of photos that people take those scopes, and they usually post in the details of the photos what mount they use. Be warned, however: lots and lots of people buy that scope because it's relatively cheap and they post their pics on astrobin, and most of them are not great. Don't be discouraged by that. The scope is capable of great images, but it's an f/9... so you'll need long exposures which means you'll want a decent mount and an autoguider (OAG or a guide scope, whatever floats your boat). You will very likely need to be taking images that are 10mins or longer, especially if you want to get into narrowband imaging.

All that being said, is this the first scope you are going to try doing astrophotography with? I only ask because it can be tough to get good results starting off with a slow scope like this if you're trying to image deep sky objects. You can increase your chances of having fun by starting off with a faster scope (something like an f/6-ish apo or ED refractor), or getting a focal reducer for the 6" RC (the astro-physics CCD-T67 reducer apparently works quite well with these scopes). That will speed you up to around f/6, which will shorten your exposure times and make the learning curve a bit easier.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Mount for 6" RC? new [Re: jbalsam]
      #6097034 - 09/23/13 03:56 PM

I briefly tested the CCDT67 with the At6RC and it does work well. Another advantage of using the focal reducer is that the it will make tracking/guiding errors less prominent.

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #6097647 - 09/23/13 11:14 PM

An Atlas mount and the Orion Mini Guide setup work well with the AT6RC. I go between my RC and my ED80T depending on the object or FOV I desire.

You can see my results on the Astrobin site in my signature.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere
Re: Mount for 6" RC? new [Re: rigel123]
      #6097740 - 09/24/13 12:30 AM

Whats your budget??

wavecloud
sage

Re: Mount for 6" RC? new [Re: T1R2]
      #6098373 - 09/24/13 12:14 PM

Quote:

Whats your budget??

Hard to say preciseley at the moment, but no more than 3000-4000.
I defineteley can't afford an Astro-Physics mount, though.

jbalsam
sage

Reged: 07/06/12

Loc: Darnestown, MD
      #6098402 - 09/24/13 12:43 PM

For 3-4k you could do very well with a used GM-8, and have plenty of cash left over to buy yourself the other bits you'll need (guide scope or OAG and an autoguider, etc etc). Here's one on astromart for $1400, and it comes with the gemini add-on: http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=832480

wavecloud
sage

Re: Mount for 6" RC? new [Re: jbalsam]
      #6098425 - 09/24/13 12:55 PM

Very helpful all, thanks.
I'll look into that.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #6098445 - 09/24/13 01:03 PM

There's a Takahashi NJP Temma 2 on Amart right now for 3.8K.

If you have the 4K jump on that; they only come up for sale a handful of times in a year. It will probably be the last mount you'll ever need - 70lb capacity. It will also bust your ***** with the weight, but it's made to last a lifetime.

wavecloud
sage

Re: Mount for 6" RC? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6100197 - 09/25/13 11:47 AM

What, exactly, is the Gemeni add-onn?

orlyandico
Post Laureate

#6100302 - 09/25/13 12:40 PM

Losmandy GM8 and G11 don't have GoTo in the base model. You need to buy the Gemini separately to get GoTo.

But as I said - if you can swing the $3.8K forget the GM8 and G11, get the Tak. It'll be the last mount you'll ever need (unless you want to go fully robotic, in which case you'll be spending at least double that).

The G11 is a fine mount, but it is not a great mount. As someone who's wasted money buying sub-standard and just-OK mounts, buy the absolute best and you'll never regret it. Better yet at $3.8K (compared to over $10K for the Tak EM400 that replaced it in Tak's lineup) it is so depreciated that you can resell it for pretty much what you paid.

I've only seen Tak NJP's come on sale 5-6 times a year. Something to keep in mind.

wavecloud
sage

#6100338 - 09/25/13 01:04 PM

3k-4k is the *** Abslute Maximum*** I can afford to spend, I'm not so sure about the Tak. 2k is much more realistic.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

#6100364 - 09/25/13 01:16 PM

ah, well in that case.. try to find a G11 with Gemini 1. Lots of people have had good results with that, others not so much. Or an Atlas/EQ6, much less money and still decent-ish.

Don't take my word for it though. I don't want to make any recommendation that may backfire or end up not meeting your expectations.

wavecloud
sage

#6100421 - 09/25/13 01:39 PM

"Decent-ish"?

orlyandico
Post Laureate

#6100496 - 09/25/13 02:11 PM

YMMV but I consider any mount of G11 class or less to be merely decent. Others will certainly disagree. But when you read about the folks on this very forum who spent $3K+ for a new G11 and are now shopping for an upgrade.. makes you think.

wavecloud
sage

#6100545 - 09/25/13 02:32 PM

Quote:

YMMV but I consider any mount of G11 class or less to be merely decent.

What do you mean by "mereley decent"?

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
      #6100853 - 09/25/13 04:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

YMMV but I consider any mount of G11 class or less to be merely decent.

What do you mean by "mereley decent"?

Orlyandico has fairly high standards. He is undoubtedly correct, the mounts he prefers are superb (and it is always worth getting the best mount you can afford), but the Atlas/EQ6-class and G11-class mounts are in quite common use for imaging setups.

I am using a 6" f/9 RC (the AT6RC) on an old Celestron CI-700, the G11 is equivalent or slightly better then the CI-700, I would consider A G11 quite capable indeed for the task at hand!

Previously I attempted to use the same AT6RC on a CG5 ASGT - that was not successful, DEC guiding issues drove me nuts. I know others have better luck with the CG-5 but even so I would stay away from that class of mount with the *possible* exception of the ZEQ25.

wavecloud
sage

Re: Mount for 6" RC? new [Re: Falcon-]
      #6101012 - 09/25/13 06:12 PM

Are the Atlas/EQ6 mounts fairly similar to the G11?

orlyandico
Post Laureate

#6101262 - 09/25/13 08:47 PM

The G11 is a better class, it's probably the most popular "mid grade" mount.

My beef with the G11 is that for the price - particularly new at over $3K with the Gemini 2 - there are a disturbing number of unhappy users.

The Atlas/EQ6 is $1.5K new (and $900 - $1K used) so a fair degree of disappointment there is expected. But at $3K+ I would disagree.

You can search this forum for the people who are disappointed with their G11's and looking for something better.

So, although the G11 is a better mount than the Atlas/EQ6, I would avoid buying one new. If you can get a Gemini-equipped one for under $2K and it has the one-piece worm block then it's probably a good buy. I say probably because you still risk having issues.

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #6101306 - 09/25/13 09:18 PM

Quote:

The Atlas/EQ6 is $1.5K new (and $900 - $1K used) so a fair degree of disappointment there is expected. But at $3K+ I would disagree.

I don't know that I see many posts about being disappointed in the Atlas, unless it is about the Altitude adjustment bolts which can be remedied easily.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 893

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics