Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
stray1
sage

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: AQ Andromedae new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6175420 - 11/04/13 01:08 PM

Jason, Norme, & Tom, thanks for your comments. Lately it seems like I'm getting cloudy versus clear skies at a 5-10 to 1 ratio and my current forecast indicates another 5 days of clouds after this morning's clear. Not much getting done

Mike, here is a link to the Astronomical League Carbon Star Observing Project: http://www.astroleague.org/content/carbon-star-observing-program It includes a list of the target stars.

Thanks for commenting!

-stray-

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stray1
sage

NSV 15196 new [Re: stray1]
      #6178578 - 11/06/13 02:32 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Tonight presented me with what as been a rarity as of late...fairly clear skies with good seeing and transparency! It was fleeting as I knew they would close just as quickly as they had opened (and they have). Anyway, I went into "commando" mode and broke out the rig for some ad hoc observing (more like taking pot shots between clumps of clouds).

NSV 15196 (Andromeda) has been on my "to do" list for over two weeks so that was my first target. I had to work quickly as heavy cloud cover was moving in from the west. 15196 was directly overhead forcing me to slew vertical. I didn't think that I had time to prepare for a "formal" observation arrangement (i.e, grabbing a patio chair), so I simply dropped to my knees on the asphalt, clipboard, pencil, and red light in hand, and hunkered over the EP.

15196 is another of those "blah" carbon stars. No apparent color; boring. If it wasn't on the Astronomical League's list of required stars I'd never go looking for it. It was just a dim point of light in the EP.

Six down; 94 to go.

Next: W Cassiopeiae.

-stray-

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: NSV 15196 new [Re: stray1]
      #6178581 - 11/06/13 02:38 AM

Try WZ Cass while you re there - can't miss the red in that!

Pete

stray1
sage

W Cassiopeiae new [Re: stray1]
      #6178584 - 11/06/13 02:43 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

I made this sketch within minutes of the previous. Clouds were beginning to interfere with transparency, but I managed to "eek" this one out in good time. Nice little carbon star. Pale orange, but very pretty. That's what I'm talking about

Sketch Notes: the dimmest "stars" in the sketch below are AV. There were a few more to be had but time and transparency were working against me.

Next: Z Piscium.

Seven down; 93 to go (I hope my psyche and body holds out).

Thanks for looking!

-stray-

Edited by stray1 (11/06/13 03:12 AM)

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Re: W Cassiopeiae new [Re: stray1]
      #6178986 - 11/06/13 10:58 AM

Huh!?! 15196 really isn't all that interesting. Still a great sketch, though.

W Cas, OTOH, is a beautiful little gem. Nicely captured, Stray.

stray1
sage

Re: W Cassiopeiae new [Re: Chopin]
      #6183995 - 11/09/13 01:50 AM

Pete, yes WZ Cas is a wonderful carbon! That one was my second sketch. It is actually the first listed on AL's list; how they got "switched"...don't remember

Chop, when are you doing to deploy the BIG tube? I'm anxious to see how these carbons appear in a light bucket.

Thanks for commenting,

-stray-

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
Re: W Cassiopeiae new [Re: stray1]
      #6184777 - 11/09/13 02:20 PM

Stray

Nice sketches of NSV 15196 and W Cassiopeiae & HIP 4284 .

CS,KLU,

Tom

stray1
sage

Z Piscium new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #6191973 - 11/13/13 01:20 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

Hello,

I've modified my template just a little to aid in viewing on a computer screen.

The target this evening was Z Piscium. It actually represents 1/4th of what I was planning on doing. V Arietis, SAO 129989, and W Orionis were also in the list; however, while working on "Z" some clouds and haze moved in which pretty much shut me down. It has since cleared up a bit but it is too late and too cold for any further sketches. Besides that, Sirius is just about where I want it and I'm going to take another shot at collaring the Pup.

Sketch notes: As well as the slightly modified template I have also been paying closer attention to star magnitude. In the past I used a simple method at noting Magnitude at the eyepiece using a basic number system with 1 being the dimmest and 3 the brightest. My new system is also numerical; however, I figure magnitude on the information provided by Stellarium and size my "paint brush" based on this. I think it adds more variety to the sketch.

Next: V Arietis (I just managed to scout it before the clouds and haze started messing with me ).

8 bagged and tagged; 92 to go!

Thanks for viewing,

-stray-

stray1
sage

Re: Z Piscium new [Re: stray1]
      #6205908 - 11/20/13 03:08 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

The following is some crazy thing that is up there in the sky and although I cannot seem to find it in my scope I decided to "sketch" it anyway. I was going to post this in the AstroArt forum, but since I already have a sketchbook going why start a new thread elsewhere.

Based on an image I found on Google. Rendered in Paint.net and Gimp.

-stray-

Chopin
Canis Insanus

#6206083 - 11/20/13 05:07 PM

Superb rendering, Mark! You have a real skill with computer pain programs.

stray1
sage

Re: Z Piscium new [Re: Chopin]
      #6206543 - 11/20/13 09:40 PM

Thanks, Chop,

My wife and kids bought me a Bamboo for Christmas and I've just now gotten around to using it. I find it much "cleaner" to use as compared to oil paints or chalk. Plus, there are no messy brushes to smack against the legs of an easel the way Bob Ross did

Bamboo doesn't work so well with Paint.net, but with Gimp it does just fine.

-stray-

Edited by stray1 (11/21/13 12:57 AM)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #6206959 - 11/21/13 05:25 AM

Mark, when I first saw that I almost ordered a 90mm astroview.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Z Piscium new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6207077 - 11/21/13 08:24 AM

stray1
sage

Re: Z Piscium new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6208725 - 11/22/13 02:22 AM

Quote:

Mark, when I first saw that I almost ordered a 90mm astroview.

Norme, why? You don't need an Astroview to see the Bubble. Just go to Google Images.

-stray-

stray1
sage

Venus new [Re: stray1]
      #6234282 - 12/04/13 09:38 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Hello!

Well, it has been a minute or two since my last submission, primarily due to uncooperative skies, but this evening just after sunset I had the opportunity to take a peek at Venus through my 90mm (I work nights so the planet has long since set by the time I get home).

Seeing was not all that good. The image was unstable and rolling, but beggars cannot be choosers. More clouds were on the way. It was good to finally be able to see the planet as its current crescent as opposed to the dot of light that appears in my 10x50s. From what I understand there is a "Y" shaped feature on the planet and I think that I might have detected this as a "smear" of darker color near the equator. Definitely unsure of this.

At any rate, I'm doing what I can when I can on this end.

Thanks for looking!

-stray-

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Venus new [Re: stray1]
      #6234327 - 12/04/13 10:03 PM

I saw your submission to the thread and expected to catch a new carbon. Then I saw this beautiful image! Gotta love Venus in deep crescent phase. Nicely captured, Mark!

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Venus new [Re: Chopin]
      #6238041 - 12/06/13 07:58 PM

Mark,

You have added several more fine sketches since I was last here. Excellent!

Frank

stray1
sage

Juptier [Re: frank5817]
      #6247513 - 12/11/13 05:18 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Frank & Jason, thank your for your comments on my Venus presentation!

Last evening, I finally had the sky and time to hit the glass. It was cold, icy, and breezy but I was not going to pass it up; especially, after checking Stellarium and seeing that the GRS was in transit.

Seeing and trans were not optimal, but they were not all that bad either. My biggest problem was that Jove was still low to the horizon and I had to observe while standing on shaky legs. A sporadic but stiff breeze didn't help.

While observing, Jove swam in and out of focus, but I did have a moment or two of clarity. The rendering reflects what I saw over 20 minutes or so of viewing, but I should note that all of these details were not apparent at the same time. I basically cobbled everything together while making a pencil sketch at my desk from memory, thus the rendering may not be completely accurate.

My primary goal was to resolve the GRS and I might have done so; however, I am unsure of this. I believe that I detected it, but maybe not. What I think was the GRS appeared as a grayish smudge preceding a rather turbulent area in the SEB. Sometimes it was "there" in the EP; other times, not.

About the rendering: As mentioned, this is based upon memory of details detected at various times. Additionally, I have purposely exaggerated color and structure for clarity in viewing. The template is based on one that Erika Rix posted here a few weeks ago.

Thanks for looking,

-stray-

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Juptier [Re: stray1]
      #6247925 - 12/11/13 09:40 PM

Hey, I missed your Venus rendition. Okay, that's quite good, Mark.

Also, hey, Mark, your Jupiter sketching is getting better as it should with experience. In this sketch you show detail with much more contrast than last season. Maybe it's getting easier or is more obvious to you visually?

Yes, the GRS should be near the preceding limb early in your observation (which is what side? I cannot tell conclusively from the dark southern belt fragment, it can go either way depending on mirror reversal.) I like the way you captured the festoons and especially they way you show the northern hood as greatly extended all the way to the NtempZ and more prominent that the south. That'd be correct, in my view.

We all cobble together those steady moments made over time. Well done, I'm happy for your nice experience with Jove.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Juptier [Re: Asbytec]
      #6247975 - 12/11/13 10:16 PM

That's a good observation for 118x, Mark. I like the coloration. Even though I know it's exaggerated it looks natural to me. I haven't seen Jove in a few days so I can't relate specifically to the features, but that big festoon seems right on to my eyes.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2743

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics