Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Space Rocks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
lee14

Reged: 12/19/09

Re: Best Etched Meteorites? new [Re: Glassthrower]
      #6089564 - 09/19/13 09:07 AM

It occurred to me a streak test might be informative, but they seem to be fairly close in appearance, graphite leaving a black, and troilite grayish-black. Streak combined with hardness tests should give a pretty good level of certainty, but I think qualitative analysis would be the only completely accurate determination. Thanks Mike!

Lee

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lee14

Reged: 12/19/09

Re: Best Etched Meteorites? new [Re: lee14]
      #6089977 - 09/19/13 01:26 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

This is definitely a graphite inclusion, in a Canyon Diablo. The overall pic is poor, but I tried to make the appearance of the inclusion as faithful as possible to the actual color seen in daylight. It's gray, not a hint of brown. For what it's worth...

Lee

Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/08/12

Re: Best Etched Meteorites? [Re: lee14]
      #6102683 - 09/26/13 04:59 PM

I received the Taza today. It is just unbelievably beautiful. And there is no contest when compared to my 1st one with the coating on it. The new one sparkles. So glad I got it!

I wish it was easier to tell from pictures what these irons will look like when you get them. Some are bright and when changing angles in the light different spots light up. But then I have others that are dull looking and in light it is difficult to get the same effect. Best to buy in person I suppose if at all possible.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1876

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics