Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
scope question new
      #6103322 - 09/27/13 12:05 AM

what telescope design is best for video astronomy. thanks, donnie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dragon Man
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/07/06

Loc: Snake Valley, Australia
Re: scope question new [Re: donnie3]
      #6103375 - 09/27/13 12:48 AM

Hi Donnie,

There is no 'best' design for AstroVideo.

What is important is 'Fast'. f5, f4, f2 etc.

The faster a focal ratio the better, but some people get good results with 'slow' scopes (f8, f10 etc).

For Video, people use Refractors, Reflectors, SCT's, Camera Lenses, Security camera lenses, Finderscopes, etc.

Focal reduction is recommended but not essential. I've seen some great results with scopes at f10.
But the faster you go the wider the Field of View and the brighter the objects appear, and also shorten the integration times needed.

Have a look through the Video Gallery in here and many photos name the scope that was used. Some also say all the filters, Focal Reducers etc used.
That way you can see which scopes can do what and with which camera.

Also depends if your main interest is Deep Space Objects or Planets and Moon.
Different scopes do different jobs, and different Focal Reducers give different results.

I could hightly recommend an ED80 as a fantastic scope, but if you suffer bad light pollution it may not be good in your area.
Some could also recommend an SCT with Hyperstar but they are very expensive.

It's a tough question to answer without knowing your preferred targets, sky conditions, or Budget.

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: scope question [Re: Dragon Man]
      #6104014 - 09/27/13 11:47 AM

thanks dragon man, ive had real good results with orions 80mm short tube refractor. I am mainly interested in dso. ive been thinking about purchasing orions astrophotography 114mm reflector or a 6" from opt. the 6" is better built but the 114 is more portable and will fit on my se mount, if I buy the 6" I would have to use it on my cg5 goto. not sure what to purchase. donnie

Hemmi

Reged: 09/08/10

Re: scope question new [Re: donnie3]
      #6110004 - 09/30/13 08:48 PM

I used to use a Orion 114mm on a se mount. My avatar is a shot with that scope using the sdc-435 cam.

maroubra_boy
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/08/09

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: scope question new [Re: Hemmi]
      #6110036 - 09/30/13 09:06 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

I use a 114 f/4.4 scope that I've coupled to an old Meade set of forks of an 8" SCT. Made the wedge myself. I never have a problem of with the focuser being in an awkward position as it always above the pivot of the Dec axis, There was nothing wrong with the mount other than it wasn't being used and was about to be trashed. Managed to rescue it and give it a new lease on life.

Only change I've made to my set up from when I took this picture was to replace the red dot finder for a 50mm right angle correct image finder.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: scope question new [Re: maroubra_boy]
      #6110063 - 09/30/13 09:23 PM

I just use an ETX80 set in polar mode with a laser finder. I used to use my C11 on a CGEM but some kids almost dumped it over once, so I am more cautious now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 528

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics