Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Bill McNeal
sage

Reged: 10/07/07

New Z-Balance Mounts
      #6105213 - 09/28/13 01:34 AM

It just makes so much sense to place the OTA on the other side of the mount as the counterweight shaft, and the ZEQ25 is currently the only one in the world. I chose it for its weight to payload ratio.

Any other manufacturers going to this design? An AP Mach 2 that's Z balanced could have an _astronomical_ payload to weight ratio!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: New Z-Balance Mounts new [Re: Bill McNeal]
      #6105686 - 09/28/13 10:45 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

It just makes so much sense to place the OTA on the other side of the mount as the counterweight shaft, and the ZEQ25 is currently the only one in the world. I chose it for its weight to payload ratio.

Any other manufacturers going to this design? An AP Mach 2 that's Z balanced could have an _astronomical_ payload to weight ratio!

Bill, you're right about the astronomical payload, I just wonder if the design is patented?

There are only so many ways to distribute weight on a astronomical mount, and the Z-Balanced design nailed it as far as counterweight and telescope positions.

The design is not new, wire balance toys date back to the 1800s, I think some engineer just figured out how to do it on a equatorial mount...:)

I have had 35 pounds of OTA on the 10 pound Z mount and it balanced perfectly and I actually imaged with it.

So I guess if they could design a 50 pound Z mount, it would theoretically have a payload capacity of 175 pounds or more? We're talking some serious counterweight size for that scenario..:)

Best to go with a 2" diameter c/w shaft to cut down on the number of counterweights required, lol.

Clear skies,

Paul

Bill McNeal
sage

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: New Z-Balance Mounts new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6139670 - 10/15/13 07:25 PM

You're right, iOptron probably has patents. I'd love to see Astro-Physics license them. Alternatively there could be a closer corporate collaboration, if AP wants to serve the mass market.

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: New Z-Balance Mounts new [Re: Bill McNeal]
      #6139852 - 10/15/13 09:28 PM

Imagine a company like AP with better quality control making them. Yes, it would be nice. Still love my Z despite the minor hiccups.

Pages: 1

Extra information
25 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 492

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics