Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6149512 - 10/21/13 09:40 AM

Looks like that spring storm was just helping you get a more open view of the sky!

-Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
      #6149516 - 10/21/13 09:41 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

One last image taken of the underside of the eaves.
As I stated, I have the material,1"x6" boards that I am going to use to take care of this. It is only going to be 45 degrees F for a high today so this will be put off 'till Wednesday or so which will then be in the 50's again.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6149529 - 10/21/13 09:52 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

Hello Dan,Very much appreciate responses from you as well as others. Thanks.
Yes the trees that lost the branches are both to the north of the OBS in my backyard. I am having now to cut them down completely as they look terrible. We are going to plant a couple of Red Maples back in their place.
We used to have 9 pines on our small lot,a mere 98'x130'. I had cut them all down within the first 4 years of living here. We have 2 red maples in the front yard and the largest/oldest one was damaged in the ice storm also yet am saving it.
At least now,when the Ash and the Black Maple come down in the back, I will be able to see Polaris and easily polar align.
Here is a pic of the destroyed, in our eyes once 50 foot Ash tree.

Edited by tim57064 (10/21/13 09:59 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6149535 - 10/21/13 09:56 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Also here is a shot of the Black maple that is also going to come down. This will allow me to view and hopefully image M81,M82 and the entire Hubble Deep Sky Field in that area. Something I have yet to do,from my yard, because of the trees.
I have to thank My wife for allowing me to cut them down and free up the skies view in that area. It will probably take quite a few years before the new Red Maples get high enough to interfere with it again.

Edited by tim57064 (10/21/13 10:05 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6150551 - 10/21/13 08:36 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Today I worked on the interior walls and ceiling. As stated previously ,I had chosen to use osb for the sheathing.
It was quite chilly this morning so I gave it a little time to warm up.
Well it only got to 49 today yet I was quite comfortable 'till quitting time around 6pm.

The first sheet I cut was rather flawed because of my mis measurement.
Oh I measured twice yet both were wrong.
No problem I had counted on messing up at least once,as always with me.

So anyway,Here is a shot of where I was at 4pm.
At this point there were 6 small pieces left to put up.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6150559 - 10/21/13 08:41 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Well then here is a shot of the finished for now ceiling. I had finally got the last piece up by 5:30pm.
I do not know if you can tell,yet it does follow the exterior roof line and is vaulted.
Every single piece was angled.

Edited by tim57064 (10/21/13 08:44 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6150584 - 10/21/13 08:59 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

My neighbor came home with a surprise for me.
He is a head tech for the cable company I use.
Anyway He brought home enough cable to make a run from inside my garage to where I want my TV to be in the OBS.
It was from an end run of a spool so no big deal he said.
That saved me some money as it is a minimum of a 80 foot long run.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6151187 - 10/22/13 07:42 AM

Thanks for the pictures! Since I am a visual person, they go a long way towards my "participation" in your great project. By the way, how cold does it get there? Any progress on the heating issue? It is one I wrestle with as well and do not have a solution yet.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6151247 - 10/22/13 08:46 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Thank you Steve for your response and continued support on my OBS build.
I am also still having to decide what to do about the heating situation.
I have a vent free natural gas heater in my woodworking shop of which is connected to the back of my attached to the house garage.
I was considering doing the same for the OBS yet that would mean that I would have to run a gas line quite deep to get out there.
That could be quite expensive.
Now another option would be to run an electric heater out there and that would need a minimum of a 10/3 with ground 220 volt underground line.
That run needs to be 70 feet long so I have to buy 100 feet of cable.The depth here would have to be a minimum of 15 inches for burial.
The cost of that cable is over $100.00 so I think that I will have to hold off on that 'till next spring I do not know,maybe I will still be able to get it done before the ground freezes.
Since I am on a slightly limited budget,that is what is causing my delay on this.Right now I am running a 12 gauge extension cord and thinking about getting a 10 gauge cord.

I just checked the price on the extension cord,10 gauge,and I might as well get the underground wire as they are about the same price.10 gauge extension cord would still only allow me 20 amps of power anyway.
So unless I come up with the funds for the underground power cable,I am going to wait 'till next spring.

I was considering using a wood burning stove that I have in my basement for backup heat. Yet after figuring out where it would go and finding not enough clearance for same,that has been ruled out,at least where I wanted it to go. If I place it in a corner it has to be even further from the walls than if I had it in the middle of the south wall.
The south wall option places it too close to my pier and scope.
Quite the conundrum.

As far as the temps here, it can get well below zero F here and has about every winter.
We are getting our first snow for the year right now.
It is melting as soon as it hits the ground yet it is white falling out of the sky.
The actual air temp right now is 33 degrees F and only going to get to maybe 40 F today.

Here is a shot of the wood burning stove I had planned on using in the OBS. If I could figure out a way to use it,a place to put it,without causing a heat transference problem,too hot by being too close to the pier and scopes, I would use it.
I started to take it apart to get ready to hall it out to the OBS and decided to wait 'till I found out if it could be used there.
I am still planning on getting a hold of a company that does install of stoves and fireplace to find out if it can still be used.
I am not going to give up on the idea just yet.

Edited by tim57064 (10/23/13 10:34 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6153124 - 10/23/13 08:28 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

I didn't get a whole lot done on the OBS yesterday.
I had to go over to my Son and Daughter in laws to repair their washing machine.
The pump went out on it and had fun replacing it.
I have replaced a few pumps in my time on these things,yet this is the first time I had to take the entire cabinet off to get to the pump as it was in the front of the machine.
The other thing was,the price.
OMG I was expecting it to be maybe around $40.00 yet turned out to be $72.00,no matter where I called.
Man those kids can't get a break.

Since buying their house, I have had to replace the carpet in the entire house Install 110 volt electric line for their stove,replace a bathtub spout as it broke,Repair some copper water lines as they leaked,and now have to go back in before too long and replace a main line water shut off to install a bathroom in the basement.
I also helped my son tear out the garage floor to replace it and fixed the over head garage door opener.
Cut down a few trees that either were damaged by the Ice storm we had earlier in the year or were already dead.

Now this has been all done in the past year. I thought that maybe since they bought a house ,my son would be more willing to take care of things himself.
I am thinking that his thought might be that Dad,me, is retired so why would I have to do everything, I think maybe this might be the case.

Most of the time I do not mind as I get to see the grand kids more often this way.

Now on to what I was able to do on the OBS.
Since I was in town I picked up a few more items for the OBS .

I broke down and purchased 90 feet of 10/3 with ground underground electrical wire to run to the OBS.
I found it for $1.59 a foot at a local Campbells Supply.
I bought 90 feet so I had enough for the 57 foot run to the house.

Those of you that are not familiar with Campbell Supply it is a Farm and Home and Auto Parts store,just about anything you want is there,except groceries.

I also made the purchase of the breaker panel and 2 20 amp breakers.
I wanted to have 2 separate lines inside the OBS so with everything I plan to run,I do not over load a circuit or have interference from say an electric heater should I decide to use one.
I know it is a little boring without pic's so here are a couple.

First up,the 90 feet of wire. Not going to be fun to install.40 feet of trench to dig by hand 15 inches deep.

Edited by tim57064 (10/23/13 08:29 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6153141 - 10/23/13 08:33 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

A shot of the 1 sheet of osb attached to the walls. That is all I could muster up for energy to get done before 3:30pm as I stated I had to fix a washing machine today.

Edited by tim57064 (10/23/13 08:47 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6153165 - 10/23/13 08:45 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Here is one last shot of the electrical panel I picked up.
I only need 2 breakers, so why get a bigger panel.The cost was about $20.00 for this one.

It is only suppose to get to 44 Degrees today. Kelo TV weather says it is 33* outside right now, yet I think it is colder than that. Hard frost everywhere.
Also suppose to get a mix of rain and snow.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6153203 - 10/23/13 09:07 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

One last thing I also picked up was something that Carol,csa/montana, had suggested to use to help seal the gap between the roof skirting and the exterior walls.
I picked up 3 packages of it.

Thanks Carol! Will see if this works,hopefully it will.

Edited by tim57064 (10/23/13 09:15 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6153301 - 10/23/13 10:03 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

More rain which is keeping me from working on the OBS. I am cutting the sheeting for the interior walls in my garage and hauling them to the OBS.Yet do not like having to walk thru the cold rain to get there.
It is suppose to let up before noon,I hope.
So, I am going to wait 'till then to get going.

Edited by tim57064 (10/23/13 10:04 AM)

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
      #6154003 - 10/23/13 04:10 PM

Yeah I am getting tired of all the gray cloudy wet weather.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Mary B]
      #6154191 - 10/23/13 06:25 PM

The bad news is that your weather is coming here. Sigh.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6155084 - 10/24/13 09:30 AM

Hello, I was wondering,what does a person have to do to bring more interest into what is being done or said in a forum?
A person can make multiple posts and only get a minute amount of replies.
Taking the time to post numerous images of what has been done seems to have no impact either.
I apologize if I seem to be whining,yet I try to make my posts as interesting as possible and yet still low or no responses compared to the number I put out there.
I really appreciate those that continue to reply.
Maybe it is the fact that I am retired and have too much time on my hands and many others out there,on CN, have to actually do something to make a living.
This is the only place lately that I have to communicate what is on my mind or what I have to offer.
I am not a club person per say ,tried that and do not like the politics.
Please,excuse my rant. I hate this time of year as the cold makes it so I do not want to get outside and feel cooped up.Going to be a long winter I feel,and it hasn't even started yet.

Edited by tim57064 (10/24/13 09:32 AM)

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: tim57064]
      #6155106 - 10/24/13 09:43 AM

Quote:

Here is one last shot of the electrical panel I picked up.
I only need 2 breakers, so why get a bigger panel.The cost was about $20.00 for this one.

It is only suppose to get to 44 Degrees today. Kelo TV weather says it is 33* outside right now, yet I think it is colder than that. Hard frost everywhere.
Also suppose to get a mix of rain and snow.

I like Square D Stuff , When I built my house I used Square D , I ran 10-Ga and I used all 15 AMP outlets and piggybacked both my 15 AMP Breakers to split My control-room Lights and Power on one side and did the same for the Obs side ,

Edited by Megabusa (10/24/13 10:22 AM)

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Megabusa]
      #6155122 - 10/24/13 09:54 AM

I too am not a club person for a variety of reasons. I like this particular thread because:

+ It has pictures and I am a visual person
+ It is highly detailed and I learn stuff
+ Tim is so much more skilled than I am (which makes me a bit envious, but keeps my interest high)

But not all threads grab me. Some because of the lack of the positives above, some because I cannot relate as well as I can to this thread.

Some threads give me ideas for my own situation or give me caveats of things not to do with my observatory.

This board is a smörgåsbord of stuff, some of which will appeal, others of which will not.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Aquarist]
      #6155131 - 10/24/13 09:56 AM

Oh, and Tim's weather comes here so I can get ready.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16250

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics