Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Raginar]
      #6156489 - 10/24/13 10:24 PM

Quote:

That's pretty impressive. I'm imaging tonight! First night in almost a month.

Thanks Chris, It is clear here also yet since the OBS is not quite finished and I am quite tired,I am holding off on setting up the scopes. Hope you have good luck and would love to see what you get. Shooting remotely then?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6156670 - 10/25/13 01:02 AM

I'm always remote it's fantastic being nice and snug inside while watching from an iPad. Logmein is amazing!

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6156910 - 10/25/13 07:51 AM

Quote:

Steve,Whole house generator huh? Power must go out as much as it does here.I finally broke down a couple years ago and picked up a 10,000 watt generator just for those numerous occasions. Had to use it three times this year.
Hooked up our elderly neighbor to it also since she is on oxygen practically all the time.
The last time though another neighbor did the same for her.

Yeah, it is rather poor here. Longest outage (so far) was two days, but we have lots of little ones. Since I have aquaria and a pond, I want to keep the life support on those going. Occasionally the neighbors are a bit frosted when we have lights and they do not. And, of course, since the observatory dome, etc is all motorized, there is no reason NOT to have them on the generator.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6156952 - 10/25/13 08:31 AM

Chris,
Running the OBS in the winter is exactly what I would like to get done sometime in the future.
Since I have a Dslr that I will use for imaging.
I am thinking that having a garage door opener would be overkill for me as I do not think I could get a go ahead from the wife.
Also,since I would have to go out and setup the camera each time I wanted to image,it would be very simple just to open the roof manually with hand winches.
I have yet to purchase them although I do have a place to get them. Just need to do it.

I do need to figure out what I need for wireless operation from camera to computer and mounts to computer.
I would be worried about wired operation if I were not in the OBS to make sure they would not get tangled up.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6156979 - 10/25/13 08:47 AM

Steve,thanks for replying.I can see why you need the whole house generator then with the fish and pond,you have to keep them alive. Can be quite a time investment,I know I used to have Koi in a pond. Yet you probably have a salt water aquarium too huh.

Two days is longer than the power outages we have had.
Been lucky with only 12 hours a couple of times. Although out in west river here in SD this year people went without power for a week or 2 because of the early blizzard.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#6157051 - 10/25/13 09:37 AM

Cable management isn't that bad. I use nylon cable wraps and Velcro ties and I haven't had a hang up in ages.

I think we could figure out how to combine data from adsorption and my st10. There are some neat programs that can help us make that happen. Are you going to be imaging through your lx200?

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6157077 - 10/25/13 09:50 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Have yet to try the LX200 as it is in my friends OBS 75 miles away. He is suppose to be bringing it back to me this weekend,I hope.
Yes, I do plan imaging with it, as well as my CR150 and 8se at different times of course.
I wish I had been able to make the OBS big enough to have handled 2 scopes at the same time.

Edited by tim57064 (10/25/13 09:54 AM)

Raginar
Post Laureate

#6157080 - 10/25/13 09:51 AM

You putting that cr150 on a cg5?!

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6157098 - 10/25/13 09:57 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

Well,Yes for the moment I have to use it on the CG5 ADV. I wish that I had the finances to get at least a CGEM yet the OBS took my available money to spend.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#6157357 - 10/25/13 12:21 PM

No worries. The cg5 is a beast.

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
      #6157404 - 10/25/13 12:48 PM

Quote:

I also took the time to install the breaker box since I needed to get the walls done. All the wiring is in place and only have one light switch left to install and of course all the covers.
Tomorrow it is going to be into the 60's so I plan on working outside,digging the trench for the underground wire and cable.
Hopefully will also finish up the angle iron for the roll off operation and install the 1"x6''s for under the overhangs. It is going to be a busy day.

Here is a shot of the installed breaker box. I know boring.

Wait to it's all Framed In

Edited by Megabusa (10/25/13 12:54 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6158204 - 10/25/13 09:04 PM

Chris,I happen to think your MI250 is huge. Where did you pick up that mount. It would be a dream of mine to have a mount that substantial.
I do like the CG5 ADV as the goto's are rather nice yet a bigger mount would be great for My CR150 or the 10"meade.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6158231 - 10/25/13 09:16 PM

Quote:

Cable management isn't that bad. I use nylon cable wraps and Velcro ties and I haven't had a hang up in ages.

I think we could figure out how to combine data from adsorption and my st10. There are some neat programs that can help us make that happen. Are you going to be imaging through your lx200?

It would be so cool if we could do what you suggest.Only have to both have clear nights at the same time. I would appreciate it if I could get more info from you on the remote imaging,ie;what you use to accomplish it. It seems that the distance you have to your OBS is about the same as mine is to my woodworking shop.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6158256 - 10/25/13 09:36 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Well today I was able to get the trench dug,by hand,45 feet at 15 inches in depth.The 10/3 with ground ,underground wire and the RG6 cable,for my HDTV is now buried.
What is left is running them into my shop and hook up the power to the electric panel in there and the cable tv cable run into my garage where I have a splitter set up.

I was also able to finish the install,screw down the remaining 14 1/2 feet of the angle iron track for the roll off operation and test for the first time.
Man am I glad that is done.
I was worried that I had waited too long before doing this.
No need to worry though as it worked flawlessly. Here is a shot ,for the first time, of the roof rolled off of the building.
What I was worried about was whether the roof would be completely off the building so no moisture from dew or what ever would come off and get into the building. With the roof completely out of the way,I have 18 additional inches of end clearance for the casters.

Now all I have to do to it is place a stop at the end run so the roof will not go off the track at the end.
Disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by tim57064 (10/25/13 09:46 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: tim57064]
      #6158257 - 10/25/13 09:39 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Here is another shot from a different angle.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#6158295 - 10/25/13 09:58 PM

Tim, throw in some networking cable!!! You want cat5 direct burial in tha trench too. Then you can network it. It'll make your remote imagjng significantly easier.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#6158302 - 10/25/13 10:02 PM

The mi250 was the best money I've spent on astronomy. It's rock solid from a mechanical perspective. It's a little dates but was retrofitted with a gemini2 so it hS all the modern conveniences.

Excuse my spelling btw, I tend to type on my iPhone and it's horrible.

As for the imaging, we could do your dslr for color and I could provide the narrowband . Best bet would probably be the lx200. I think that 150 and your cg5 might have a tough time.

Chris

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Raginar]
      #6158363 - 10/25/13 10:35 PM

Quote:

Tim, throw in some networking cable!!! You want cat5 direct burial in tha trench too. Then you can network it. It'll make your remote imagjng significantly easier.

Talked to my neighbor of whom is a tech with my cable company he said the same thing today about the cat5 yet did not have the money for it right now. Can't spend another $115.00 or more on that right now. Still need a few other items as the hand winches and others. I will get it soon and take care of it. Thanks Chris.

Edited by tim57064 (10/25/13 10:41 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Raginar]
      #6158367 - 10/25/13 10:37 PM

Quote:

The mi250 was the best money I've spent on astronomy. It's rock solid from a mechanical perspective. It's a little dates but was retrofitted with a gemini2 so it hS all the modern conveniences.

Excuse my spelling btw, I tend to type on my iPhone and it's horrible.

As for the imaging, we could do your dslr for color and I could provide the narrowband . Best bet would probably be the lx200. I think that 150 and your cg5 might have a tough time.

Chris

I have used the cr150 on the mount and would not image with it.Will see how much more stable it is on the new pier. Really ,Really want a CGEM.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#6158409 - 10/25/13 11:08 PM

Skip the CGEM. I owned one prior to the Mi250. It was frustrating at unless you kept the imaging weight low. I guess if you could test it for a few months to make sure it didn't have any of the issues... that harmonic is a really beast to deal with at longer focal lengths.

Save your pennies and go big now that you've got an observatory. Even if it took a couple of years, a AP mount would be a good edition to such a beautiful obs. Anything less... well, it wouldn't be as great as the building you put it in.

Chris

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14934

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics