Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Raginar]
      #6158421 - 10/25/13 11:16 PM

Chris,I would have to collect my own life insurance policy to pay for an AP mount

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6158434 - 10/25/13 11:24 PM

My other thought was maybe an Atlas EQG as I have seen a few at $1000.00 or less used.
It still would be a while before I could get one now.

Edited by csa/montana (10/28/13 03:42 PM)

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6158640 - 10/26/13 04:56 AM

Quote:

Tim, throw in some networking cable!!! You want cat5 direct burial in tha trench too. Then you can network it. It'll make your remote imagjng significantly easier.

Absolutely. I have a double run. cat5 is cheap and you never know. In my case, I run it to a ethernet hub which can then feed a variety of useful devices, primarily computer related. (I installed remote desktop so I can do everything from my home, where it is nice and warm, using the observatory computer) When I was planning for this whole project, I realized that infrastructure was critical and had to be done right the first time. So, I made provision for extra electrical outlets and networking. So I deferred some things (delayed) but insured capability going forward.

Edited by Aquarist (10/26/13 05:03 AM)

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6158726 - 10/26/13 08:09 AM

Should the cat 5 cable be routed in a different trench than that for the AC lines?

stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
      #6158737 - 10/26/13 08:28 AM

For your ethernet I'd go with fiber, it won't cost you any more than cat 5 and you won't have to worry about lightning which will get you sooner or later with cat 5 in the ground (I speak from experience, it might be years later but it will destroy anything connected on each end) . The converters will cost more than the fiber but you can buy them later if you aren't in a hurry.
30 meters 98 ft) of fiber $17.33
2 converters @$66 ea

You can find the converters cheaper on ebay just make sure they match your fiber ends , multimode sc connectors etc

http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/fiber-optic/multimode-duplex-62.5-125/...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704115

Norm

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6158791 - 10/26/13 09:23 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

Tim, throw in some networking cable!!! You want cat5 direct burial in tha trench too. Then you can network it. It'll make your remote imagjng significantly easier.

Absolutely. I have a double run. cat5 is cheap and you never know. In my case, I run it to a ethernet hub which can then feed a variety of useful devices, primarily computer related. (I installed remote desktop so I can do everything from my home, where it is nice and warm, using the observatory computer) When I was planning for this whole project, I realized that infrastructure was critical and had to be done right the first time. So, I made provision for extra electrical outlets and networking. So I deferred some things (delayed) but insured capability going forward.

Steve,Thank You for your continued replies and advice.
I did not get the cat5 underground cable in the trench as I did not have the time right now to run get it and having no idea as to what it would cost was not prepared for it.
Last night I googled it and found one run of 100 feet for $115.00 and thought,No way right now,too much.
Then this morning I was on Amazon and found 100 feet direct burial cat5e cable for $40.00.
Still,I would have not had the time to wait for it to arrive as the weather will be changing for the worst on Tuesday.

What I am thinking,I will order the cable and install the one end in the OBS and leave it rolled up under the OBS. When I want to use it,string it out to my shop and connect that way.
I can bury it next spring. Sound like a plan?

Here is a shot of what I have left to do from yesterday.

The 10/3 with ground and cable that I have run to the obs are both going to be running under the deck and then into my shop.

Steve,Why did you bury 2 runs of cat5 cable?

Edited by tim57064 (10/26/13 09:43 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: JJK]
      #6158802 - 10/26/13 09:31 AM

JJK, I would think that the cat5 would need to be buried separately. I had asked my tech friend/neighbor, from my cable company, about the cable for my HD set I am putting in the obs. He had told me that for the cable,since it is rg6 doubled shielded,that it could be placed in the same trench.
I am not sure about cat5e yet I would think that it is double shielded also. Burial for mine will now have to be separately though.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: stmguy]
      #6158807 - 10/26/13 09:37 AM

Quote:

For your ethernet I'd go with fiber, it won't cost you any more than cat 5 and you won't have to worry about lightning which will get you sooner or later with cat 5 in the ground (I speak from experience, it might be years later but it will destroy anything connected on each end) . The converters will cost more than the fiber but you can buy them later if you aren't in a hurry.
30 meters 98 ft) of fiber $17.33
2 converters @$66 ea

You can find the converters cheaper on ebay just make sure they match your fiber ends , multimode sc connectors etc

http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/fiber-optic/multimode-duplex-62.5-125/...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704115

Norm

Norm,Thanks for your reply and advice.
I would not mind having the fiber optics yet have never worked with it before and the cost of the converters kind of puts me off a little. Thanks for your input though,
Always appreciated.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #6158851 - 10/26/13 10:09 AM

I didn't bury mine in a separate trench and it works just fine at 100mbps. I think there is supposed to be some degradation due to the fields from the 10/3. That's what I buried too.

Tim,

I did the drag across the lawn thing for about a year. It works too I just got sick of not having my bis permanently on my network. It's nice to always have access to it and it's processor.

Chris

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #6158856 - 10/26/13 10:10 AM

An Atlas would be a good choice. They're usually rock solid. I'd pick it over a CGEM. A decent used G11 can be had (without gemini2) for around 2k these days.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

#6158899 - 10/26/13 10:40 AM

Quote:

Steve,Why did you bury 2 runs of cat5 cable?

In larger quantities, the cable is cheaper and I love redundancy on critical items. For me computer control is critical. So, I ordered a larger roll, ran two, sold the rest cheaply.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

#6158906 - 10/26/13 10:43 AM

Oh, and my electrician insisted on buried grounding rods for lightening protection. FYI.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6158950 - 10/26/13 11:04 AM

Quote:

Oh, and my electrician insisted on buried grounding rods for lightening protection. FYI.

Steve,Thanks for the info. I still have time to take care of the grounding rod.Just a long section of rebar driven into the ground should suffice with a large diameter wire or cable attached to it. Would 6 gauge wire handle as in the 6/3 that I have laying around?

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

#6159096 - 10/26/13 12:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Steve,Thanks for the info. I still have time to take care of the grounding rod.Just a long section of rebar driven into the ground should suffice with a large diameter wire or cable attached to it. Would 6 gauge wire handle as in the 6/3 that I have laying around?

That is what I did. Electrician blessed it so I am hoping it is sufficient. We pretty much surrounded the observatory, but I do not recall how far in between rods.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Aquarist]
      #6159804 - 10/26/13 08:53 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Well I was able to get the eave boards put up today and that is all. We had 2 of our,10 Grand Daughters over night last night and they did not leave 'till around 10:30 this morning. I guess I am happy with what I was able to get done today as I was able to take it off the list of things to get done.

I may have a name for the OBS as far as the youngest,2 year old,is concerned."Grandpas' House" That is what she calls it.Her sister,my other Grand Daughter,age 8, told me that if I moved into it that she would be able to move into the house with my wife,her grandmother.
Too many women around at times I guess.

Well here is a shot of the eaves finished for now as there will be no paint 'till the spring.

Edited by tim57064 (10/26/13 08:54 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: tim57064]
      #6159809 - 10/26/13 08:58 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

One last shot for the night. More to come tomorrow with hopefully the interior walls being finished and maybe hooking up the permanent power or the cable.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

#6159815 - 10/26/13 09:03 PM

For me the boundary condition was when power was working in the observatory. It should start to feel "real" then.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Aquarist]
      #6159830 - 10/26/13 09:18 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Steve ,Thank you for your reply.I agree with you entirely on that point.
I have just been leaving the temp extension cord plugged in yet will be nice when that extremely long yellow snake is gone.
I plan on installing a GFCI exterior outlet in it's place.

Edited by tim57064 (10/27/13 09:27 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6159870 - 10/26/13 10:01 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Well here is what we have in store for the next week.
I can do without the roller coaster ride that we have this time of year.
I will make good with the 60 some odd degrees F we are going to have tomorrow though.
If it were not for the desert conditions and looks, I would love to live in New Mexico where my Step Daughter and her husband live now.

Edited by tim57064 (10/27/13 08:54 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6162097 - 10/28/13 09:34 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Hello all,yesterday was very nice out as it hit 63 degrees F. not as nice today I am afraid.Suppose to only get to 43 maybe with a strong northeast wind.

Yesterday I was able to complete the install of the interior wall sheeting. There were only a few small sections left to be put in place ,yet I am very pleased that the walls are done for now.
Unless I put a heat source of some kind in the OBS the painting will have to wait 'till the spring. If I used an electric heater, It would have to run for quite some time for the paint to dry thoroughly so that will not happen as it would drive the electric bill sky high. It is a ceramic forced air electric heater.
Are there any of you here that use an electric style heater in your OBS that are satisfied with it's operation and efficiency?
I would appreciate any advice you have for me as I would love to spend as much time out there as possible.

Now,on another note,also yesterday,a friend of mine from Iowa came up for a visit.
He brought a lost friend home to me.
Well,she was not lost but merely working for someone else for a while.
So here is a shot of what has returned home.
My LX6 2120 10"f/6.3 classic remounted on an LX200 classic mount.
I purchased the LX200 classic mount about 2 days after buying the entire LX6 scope and mount from someone else about 5 or 6 months ago.

I am Soooo excited to get her back now that I am soooo close to finishing my OBS.

Edited by tim57064 (10/28/13 09:45 AM)

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16258

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics