Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | >> (show all)
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6165217 - 10/29/13 07:32 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Today was pretty much a bust.
Nothing was done on the build.
I am though now at the finishing touches with all the major work done.
It rained nearly all day and was cold.That time of the year I guess.
I was able to get to town and pick up a few items.

I picked up 2 of these.
Sorry,tried to make a direct link to the winches and it did not work .So there is now a pic of them below.

I could not find a winch locally that could easily be retrofitted with a plate to separate into 2 compartments to be a split winch. So I opted for the 2 winches.
If anyone knows how this can be done,let me know please.

I hate it when there is something to do and weather keeps it from being done.
It was just too damp today to work on anything.

This is something that Carol had done and want to give her credit for the Idea.
I picked up 30' of red rope light for dark adapted lighting.
It will be on a dimmer switch so that if too bright,well you know what a dimmer switch does.

There will also be a shade of some sort over the top of the rope light. Maybe made of some less expensive wood that I will run thru my surface planer to bring to about 1/2" thick.

Also I needed the electrical box for the pier and I chose a 4 gang PVC box, as will be able to attach it to the 1/2" PVC conduit I already have. Cannot have enough outlets near the scope's pier.

Then also had to get all the outlet and light switch plates along with the cable plate.

Oh and besides all that,I had to get some sweets. I have one heck of a sweet tooth and chocolate or cake doesn't cut it.

Edited by tim57064 (10/29/13 07:54 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6165250 - 10/29/13 07:56 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

I had looked all over town for the pulleys and only found 3 of the 4 I wanted.This is what I picked up.

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6165265 - 10/29/13 08:03 PM

Tim, I put my red light string around the base of the floor, more as a safety precaution than anything else. Additionally, I have a string of white lights (for emergency) 2 feet up off the floor. Both of these are on dimmers. I have a red LED on my soon to be constructed eyepiece case (Wood Wonders. I am considering a LED lamp on my computer desk. And, of course, red LED flashlights (the kind that you shake to charge).

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6165275 - 10/29/13 08:08 PM

Steve ,you give me more and more ideas every day.
I think I already stated this yet,I made the purchase of the Cat5e underground cable and should be here in a day or 2.
I realize you had not made the original comment yet you were in on the conversation. Thanks

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6165277 - 10/29/13 08:10 PM

P.S.,I thought about the white rope lights too yet I do have a regular light fixture also,so that will be the white light.

Where do you get the red flashlights that you shake to charge?
I had made red led light bulbs years ago to make red flashlights and I still have some left. I also have one of those crank up flash lights yet not a shake to charge one.
Very curious.

Edited by tim57064 (10/29/13 08:14 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6165288 - 10/29/13 08:19 PM

NCIS is on. One of my favorites.Kind of a toss up.Be on here or watch the show? Hmmmmm,can you say multitask?

Edited by tim57064 (10/29/13 08:20 PM)

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6165300 - 10/29/13 08:27 PM

Quote:

Great Red Spot LED shake to charge flashlights can be found at Great Red Spot LED Flashlights

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6165312 - 10/29/13 08:34 PM

Thanks for the link Steve,cool,very cool.
I have a red led flashight that was given to me a long time ago by a friend Christmas. The thing uses a 9 volt battery and now sometimes you have to tap it to get it to work.
I need a new one. The smaller one is what I would like yet it is backordered,must be popular. Will keep an eye out from them and get it. Thanks
Woohoo over 5000 views and over 300 replies,Thanks folks

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #6165802 - 10/30/13 07:21 AM

Hi Tim:

Just my 2 cents, but shake-to-charge flashlights are a pain in the neck. Great for emergencies when you absolutely need light and might not have batteries on hand. But for normal use, batteries are much better. With LED flashlights, the batteries last a very long time.

-Dan

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6165884 - 10/30/13 08:19 AM

Dan, Thank you so much for your reply and advice.
Your 2 cents worth is always worth more than what I can afford to pay.
Lately,I have burning up soooo many batteries,I have been looking for other styles of devices.
I have had rechargeable batteries yet They have not lasted very long either.
There are spurts to where I use my devices quite often and then they sit for long periods of time unused.
During that unused time the rechargeable ones seem to loose their charge and will not recharge for some reason.
Then with the alkaline batteries,the new ones will sit in the package unused and when I go to use them,not enough of a charge to power up the devices.
I have used Energizer bunny batteries,Duracells and others and the same thing happens.
Also I have had them sit in a flashlight for quite a while and seem to be okay,then finally when the power does run out on them,there is corrosion and that is not good for the device.

I know ,if the device is going to sit for a long period of time,take the batteries out. That does not always happen because many times,I will all of a sudden need what ever and have to take the time to load it up and the moment is gone.
Speaking about the camera now,point and shoot anyway.
My DSLR tends to sit for a while to. When I remember,I make sure to recharge the batteries for that. I have 4 sets for my DSLR.
I like my crank up style flashlight and just like different styles.Never have to add batteries always there and ready to use when you need it.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6165913 - 10/30/13 08:40 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Steve, I am now thinking of building a wooden eyepiece case for in the OBS also. I have run out of room in my Large Orion eyepiece case and have no more for the additional ones as I have been buying matching sets to use in my Celestron Bino viewer.
I plan to build a couple of cabinets and one of them will be a drawer base to allow storage of my eyepieces.
I need to replace the kitchen cabinets I have in my woodworking shop with the proper ones. I do not want to re-use them again in the OBS so I will just build new for there.

Edited by tim57064 (10/30/13 09:29 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6165938 - 10/30/13 08:56 AM

I had not truly thought ahead of time what I would need in the OBS and now that the shell ,inside and out, is done, Interior finishes are controlling my thoughts. I do not want to have to make changes as that is a royal pain after the fact. So I need to decide on the height of the desk that will run the full width of the west side. I plan on using this desk as a bench also to set up scopes for repair and cleaning.

How high would any of you build the bench?
As far as the desk area I will be using your normal adjustable desk chair so that height will be set to my sitting height.
Now after thinking about it again,One or both of the hand winches will be on that same side as the bench and desk,in the center of the wall. I am 6"3" tall so maybe that doesn't matter.
Good grief,too many things to think about.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#6165955 - 10/30/13 09:08 AM

Quote:

I have had rechargeable batteries ... During that unused time [they] seem to loose their charge and will not recharge for some reason.
... alkaline batteries ... sit in the package unused and when I go to use them,not enough of a charge ...
I have used Energizer bunny batteries,Duracells and others and the same thing happens.
... when the power does run out on them,there is corrosion and that is not good for the device.

I like my crank up style flashlight and just like different styles.Never have to add batteries always there and ready to use when you need it.

All good points! Battery "maintenance" is an issue. You have to know the type of battery and what its characteristics are.

NiMH rechargeables do indeed lose their charge quickly while sitting around. They need to be charged once a month or so to keep them topped off. For most devices that I use, that's too much to deal with so I don't bother with them. I do use a NiMH battery pack to power my mount, but I charge that after every use and tend to use it more frequently than once a month ... so no problem there. Some manufacturers do sell "low self discharge" NiMH batteries, but still, I don't like using them in flashlights.

Alkalines seem to work well and hold their charge for years while sitting on a shelf. I'm surprised that you don't find that to be the case. The corrosion issue *IS* one that's becoming more and more of a problem. Years ago, battery manufacturers used to guarantee that the batteries would not leak, and would pay to replace your device if they did. Seemed like they were better made then. Now, I'm finding more and more situations where batteries have been in a device for no more than 6 months or a year, and are starting to leak. And yes, I use name brand batteries like Duracell! I no longer see any guarantees from these manufacturers regarding leaking. So I just have to assume they're making garbage now and don't want to pay for the damage they're causing. I try to remove batteries from devices that sit for long times, but I don't always remember.

As for manual-powered flashlights, the crank style seem to work the best. Some of these are just a hand-cranked generator which charges a battery - again NiMH batteries. If the device is only used in emergencies and has been sitting for years, the batteries won't charge. The devices that work better actually wind up a spring-loaded generator ... like winding a clock. In these cases, the unwinding spring powers a generator over time and produces power without the need for a battery at all. Either type is less effort and lasts longer than the shake-to-charge style.

Again, just my 2 cents, and worth at least half that!

-Dan

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#6165984 - 10/30/13 09:23 AM

Quote:

Steve, I am now thinking of building a wooden eyepiece case for in the OBS also. I have run out of room in my Large Orion eyepiece case and have no more for the additional ones as I have been buying matching sets to use in my Celestron Bino viewer.
I plan to build a couple of cabinets and one of them will be a drawer base to allow storage of my eyepieces.
I need to replace the kitchen cabinets I have in my woodworking shop with the proper ones. I do not want to re-use them again in the OBS so I will just build new for there.

I started looking at building some drawer units to replace my eyepiece case in the observatory. I found that the prices of drawer slides, wood, and other hardware, ended up being more than the cost of just buying something that would serve the same purpose.

So I began looking at tool chests to see what could be had for a reasonable price. Here's the 5-drawer cabinet I ended up getting:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-27-in-Black-5-Drawer-Cabinet-2636BKCA5THD2/2...

This is the same unit that is sold under other brand names, like Waterloo, for around $200 and up. At $129, Home Depot is selling them for a great price. I installed mine without the wheels. I plan on using one or two drawers for my eyepieces, diagonals, adapters, etc. and the rest for other needed items like tools, spare cables, etc.

Home depot also has a shorter 4-drawer version for $109, and a taller 6-drawer version for $179 - so you can pick what will fit in the space you have available.

-Dan

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6166010 - 10/30/13 09:37 AM

Thank you once again Dan.Your advice is always welcome here.
I do enjoy sitting back and looking at what I have built, always wondering ,could I have done this a little differently?
Of course,this would have been better yet more costly.
No Oak in this build though as I will more than likely be the only one using and enjoying the OBS.
Yes, I will have visitors from time to time,yet no need to waste money. I am thinking that just simply use birch plywood for the cabinets, build what I will need right away and add to it now and then. First will be the cabinets and desk that will house my computer and desk top.
Any plywood is expensive enough,Regular 3/4" 4'x8' sheets are $39.98 a sheet. Still cheaper than buying pre-finished cabinets of any kind in my opinion.

Edited by tim57064 (10/30/13 09:51 AM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Aquarist]
      #6166097 - 10/30/13 10:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Great Red Spot LED shake to charge flashlights can be found at Great Red Spot LED Flashlights

I have not tried this particular "shake to charge" flashlight; but I've had several others in the past, and they fail to charge no matter how much you shake them, after a few months.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: csa/montana]
      #6166240 - 10/30/13 11:48 AM

Carol your insight is always appreciated. Thanks

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: tim57064]
      #6166249 - 10/30/13 11:50 AM

Tim, perhaps the newer ones may be better; as my experience with them was about 3-4 years ago.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: csa/montana]
      #6167112 - 10/30/13 07:23 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Today was not much better than yesterday except for the fact that I totally finished the electrical hookups in the OBS.
The one thing I made sure of was to make sure I had 2 sets of outlets for the scopes pier.

Edited by tim57064 (10/30/13 07:25 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: tim57064]
      #6167217 - 10/30/13 08:20 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

Another thing today? A while back my desktop computer I had in my shop took a dump.It worked fine the day before yet when I tried to turn it on the next morning nothing happened.
At the time,I said the heck with it and made a purchase from BestBuy.com for a refurbished Dell desk top.

Now this past weekend a friend of mine,of whom is a new CN participant, took a look at it and suggested I get a new power source for it.
I ordered one this past Sunday,off of Amazon.com and it showed up today by priority mail.
I truly hope that this is all that is wrong with it as this will be my OBS computer.
I have to give ninosr a call and let him know I have the part for the computer as he is the one that advised me on this and the computer is at his house.

Edited by tim57064 (10/30/13 08:21 PM)

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | >> (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14955

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics