Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)
Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6167382 - 10/30/13 09:44 PM

Hope you get your computer working! That's very frustrating.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Raginar]
      #6167392 - 10/30/13 09:50 PM

Thanks Chris, I called nino yet had to leave a message. Have yet to hear from him as he works late. No big deal though if i have to wait 'til Saturday though.I truly do hope it is the power source though. Thanks again.

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6167394 - 10/30/13 09:52 PM

In my case, I have a movable cart which has on it's top shelf the eyepiece case. I worried about the tool cases because I was concerned about them becoming unbalanced and capsizing. Mine is designed and being built by Wood Wonders. That may be more expensive than most wish to spend, however. The red shake to charge flashlights were my choice because of batteries, maintaining them, charging them, keeping them warm so they work. I have learned to try to avoid screw ups; not always successful, but I like to try avoiding problems I have already experienced.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6167404 - 10/30/13 10:00 PM

Steve,except for the carving,that is a very doable case for me to build.
Sorry,I am not bragging yet I do like to build cedar chests and and have built cradles for my grandkids when they were born also a few TV stands and quilt racks.
Also our kitchen cabinets. Woodworking is my second hobby now,it used to be my main hobby.
I have also built numerous curios,end tables and other various tables.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6167408 - 10/30/13 10:03 PM

It also appears the cases may have had the use of a CNC router,something I would like to add to my woodworking shop.
The one I would like would cost more than all my astro gear together.

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

#6167967 - 10/31/13 09:04 AM

Since I am clueless (maybe worse than that) about woodworking, I had to have it built. (In my case, I had Ron do a custom build since I do not need portability and I wanted it to fit on my movable cart). I had him put in a heater for the eyepieces, red LED on opening, and places for mono and bino viewing (mono I use 2 inch, bino 1 1/4inch). While the carving is nice, for me it is not a necessity. But if you have the skills to build it, look at his designs, and go for it.

Edited by Aquarist (10/31/13 09:05 AM)

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

#6167979 - 10/31/13 09:07 AM

Oh, and a place on the cover to store eyepiece magnification charts since my memory is less than it used to be.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6168108 - 10/31/13 10:10 AM

Steve,there are so many things to consider when building a case.
I do love the sliding drawers.
I think that if I were to build it,it would be something that would have to be large enough to accommodate future additions to my eyepiece collection.
At the moment,I have no 2" eyepieces and would have to have spaces for those also.
Good grief this could be quite a large case.
Maybe one for 1.25" eyepieces and all accessories and another for 2 " when the time comes for those.
I would also not want it to be portable as it could be damaged too easily that way,knicks and dings and such.

I once had a very nice tackle box for fishing and set it down behind my vehicle after fishing for the day and after I had already loaded up my rods. I went to get something else to place inside the car when I forgot about the tackle box.
I got in the car and started backing up and ran into the tackle box,destroying it.

I plan to have a large drawer in a cabinet for my charts. I have a large set of field charts,I believe the Sky Atlas 2000 that at the moment,I have no idea where they are.
This is why I will be glad to have the OBS finally finished. Everything astro related will be in there.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6168348 - 10/31/13 12:11 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Had something great just occur.
The electric company showed up to take a look at the street light in front of our house.
I had mentioned a problem I was having with this earlier with the light shinning into my backyard and directly into My OBS. I had originally contacted the electric company over a month ago. After 3 calls, they finally have come to my rescue.
The gentleman of whom I have spoken with before and had taken care of a tree I was getting rid of that was too close to a power line,was the same person to show up this morning.
Now anyway,let me know his thoughts about what to do with the light.
He said that he would make a temporary fix if I had some black spray paint. I did and he painted the portion of the globe,inside of it, that was facing my property.
Now this is only a temporary fix as he stated that he would come back a put a shorter mast up.
By implementing a different/shorter mast,that would bring the height of the light down to where I should not directly see it in the OBS or my backyard.
I will see tonight if the paint helps.
Clouds are so thick now that I will not be using my scopes as of yet but will still be able to see if the painting helps or not.
Here is a shot of what the light looks like now,during the day. I think you can see that it has been painted.Not that great looking yet temporary anyway.

Edited by tim57064 (10/31/13 12:17 PM)

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

#6168599 - 10/31/13 02:12 PM

ROTFLMAO While practical, that light is amusing.

stkoepke
sage

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Abilene, Texas
      #6169075 - 10/31/13 06:53 PM

You do realize that the astronomy curse will be much stronger now...buy an ep or accessory and it is 1 week of clouds, new scope and the price goes up to 2 to 3 weeks, an observatory will cost you at least a month or 2 of clouds or more depending on how soon you will have the time to use it.

Now the lighting problem is being addressed.....

Good grief, you may never have clear skies again.

Sweet observatory build, I've been watching it since you started.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: stkoepke]
      #6169201 - 10/31/13 08:29 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Well it has gotten dark enough to go out and see whether the paint job on the street light took care of the problem.
With some disappointment I able to let you know that it did not work.
I did wonder whether one coat would take care of it and whether it was covering enough of the fixture.
It just barely dimmed the light and seems as though you can actually see the bottom of the fixture is still allowing quite a bit to protrude into my view.
Oh well it was worth a try anyway.
The electric company worker did say that he had used this method before with limited success.
He also stated ,as I already said earlier that he would be back to lower the fixture with a shorter extension arm that will allow the light to be lowered.
We shall see how long it takes for him to return.
Here is what I see from the OBS directly over my house.

KenK
sage

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: MA, +41°, -71°
      #6169344 - 10/31/13 10:20 PM

Maybe more spray paint on the outside would help!

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: stkoepke]
      #6169376 - 10/31/13 10:44 PM

Tim ,Thanks for your response.Hey the curse started as soon as I began the build.Actually way before that.
I made a purchase of 2 new to me scopes this year and now the OBS. I do not expect to have clear skies or be able to use the scopes 'till next spring.
I might as well go into hibernation like a bear.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Aquarist]
      #6169382 - 10/31/13 10:49 PM

Steve,What is truly funny is that the attempt to block the light by painting in no way helped.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: KenK]
      #6169391 - 10/31/13 10:53 PM

kenK, he painted both the inside and the outside. If you do not use plastic paint on plastic and try to paint when it is cold out,it doesn't really work.
Also, the light fixture is so high he would have had to cover well over 90% of the fixture for it to work.I doubt that would have done the job because of the position of it.
I was hopeful though. Thanks for your reply.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Aquarist]
      #6169403 - 10/31/13 11:03 PM

Steve thanks for reminding me,I need to make some magnification charts. As if I do not have enough to do already.
I did very little again today.I started to work on attempting to close gaps in the OBS. It is slightly difficult for me to explain exactly what I had done so I will just say that the gaps between the roof skirting and the walls are what I was working on.
No pic's sorry.
I am thinking about going to Menards tomorrow to get a couple of sheets of plywood to build my work area in the OBS.

A desk and work table for the full width of the west wall are in store with up to 8 drawers.
Am going to build a couple of cabinets also.
I should have some shots to put up here tomorrow.

stkoepke
sage

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Abilene, Texas
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: tim57064]
      #6169469 - 11/01/13 12:00 AM

Hopefully you will not have to wait long.

I'm beginning to think that "if I just go ahead and build now...at least I will have an obs to use someday."

My usual scope time now are binocs since it takes too much time to dragout/setup/takedown/putaway, I only get to observe about 30 min if I'm lucky. Let alone imaging...

To deal with the street light you could always make a shield. Just put up 2x2s or some other kind of post in the corners, run clothesline between them and hang a dark colored sheet on the line. A cheap and simple wall extension that can be made to be adjustable height and for the temporary time needed for the lighting issue to be resolved.

Another inexpensive option...

If the "temporary" becomes more permanent or if you are having problems with neighbor lights then you could just build some light panels or these, and attach them sideways to the interior walls in some fashion to be adjustable height needed. When you go to a star party or wherever you want, just take the panels with you and have a portable observatory. Made mine for less than $5 a panel. I plan on storing them in the obs, whenever I get around to building it, in this way so I can have a shield to block my light issues here too.

Or, if you are imaging and wanted more visual time too you could set up the panels outside and pull out a grab-n-go rig and a chair.....
Coffee....
Music....

Ok, I just talked myself into observing for awhile.
See ya'll later...

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: stkoepke]
      #6169725 - 11/01/13 07:31 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Tim, Thank you for your reply.I have yet to put a scope in the OBS as I am not yet finished.
I still have painting to do,trim out the corners and such as I used osb for the walls ,trim for window and door also needs to be purchased and done.
Build my desk a couple of cabinets and a work bench/table,maybe carpet and vinyl by the door before being totally done.
Then next Spring I am adding a full length covered porch to the front of it of which I am building 2 rockers over this winter to put on the porch.

One of my reasons for building the OBS was to get away from having to put up any type of screening as that is what I did originally in the yard.
When a person spends any amount of money on a building,you should not have to make that kind of alteration in order to use it,the additional screening,yet if I have to,I will.
I am at about $1200.00 for the build right now and anything from here on out is extra.

I have a couple of pic's showing the gaps in the wall corners. I am sealing these up by making my own corner molding. The ceiling also has the same problem. If it had been drywall, I would simply use tape and mud,yet so much more wore involved. Now I could simply use caulk to fill in the seams yet I think I like the trim idea much better. Yes more work yet wood against wood in stead of caulk that might not look as good.

Also for the window and door, I am using the minimal expanding foam to seal them.

Edited by tim57064 (11/01/13 08:19 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: tim57064]
      #6169776 - 11/01/13 08:20 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Another shot of the corner gaps.

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14898

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics