Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6169777 - 11/01/13 08:22 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Here is a pic of the window showing the minimal expansion foam insulation used.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6170971 - 11/01/13 07:51 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Hello to all.Today I finally got started on building the work bench and desk for my Observatory.
I am placing it on the west wall,the full width of the OBS.
The desk area is 48 inches wide by 24 inches deep by 32 inches in height.
There will be one full width drawer in the desk.

I am thinking that there will be 2 spaces under the work bench right next to the desk that will contain my stereo system and underneath that will be 2 drawers 23 inches wide.

Next, to the right will be another 2 drawers each probably being a minimum of 8 inches deep and will be about 36 inches wide.
Under these 2 drawers will be a 12 inch high shelf and under that maybe a drawer or 2.The main frame of the desk/work bench is made of sanded one side 3/4" 24 inch wide plywood.
No oak in here as it is quite expensive. One of he drawers in the bench,the top one I am thinking, will be for eyepieces and scope accessories.the others will be filled as needed.My desk drawer will maybe contain my charts and such.

Under the desk near the outlet you can see on the left will be for my soon to be repaired,I hope,desktop computer.
I will add more pic's as I get more finished.

Today I also picked up the paint for the walls,the darkest blue I could possibly get from Menards.
I decided to use an exterior satin finish paint as there may be at times the chance of dew inside the OBS while it is open and exterior paint will provide the best protection.

I am going to hopefully get the painting done by Monday as it will be in the mid to upper 50's each day 'till Tuesday.Will see how far I get.

Here is a pic of what I have done on the desk/workbench area. The desk is where the radio is sitting.

Edited by tim57064 (11/01/13 08:11 PM)

KenK
sage

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: MA, +41°, -71°
      #6171201 - 11/01/13 10:41 PM

Looks good Tim! is that shelf all the way on the right blocking the bottom outlet?

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: KenK]
      #6171219 - 11/01/13 10:56 PM

Hello KenK Thanks for your reply.
No it is not blocking the actual outlet itself. I put in oversized covers and needed the shelf to be slightly higher than the bottom of the cover.
I cut a small notch in the shelf to allow the panel to fit close to the wall.
I want to put a deep drawer in the bottom opening also.
As you can probably see, the panel all the way to the right is kind of short as it does not go all the way to the floor?
Tried to use every piece of plywood I had and since it won't be seen with a drawer there thought it would be no big deal.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6171575 - 11/02/13 08:43 AM

Looks good Tim! Very exciting! I can't wait until "first light" from the observatory.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6171648 - 11/02/13 09:49 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Thanks Steve,I only hope when finished that the skies will be clear enough to use the scopes during New Moon times not just during the Full Moon period.

I got a hold of my friend ninosr last night and am suppose to be taking the new power source over to his place this morning. I could have replaced it myself,yet did not have the skills to figure out the problem to begin with.Would have just been a guess on my part.

Today I am going to attempt to seal up the gap between the skirting and the exterior wall. Hopefully will be able to get it done using the garage door bottom I picked up.
I don't want to have to continually fill the gap with something every time I close the roof.
Even though it is merely a 5/8" wide opening ,the wind just whips though it.

Edited by tim57064 (11/02/13 09:51 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6172602 - 11/02/13 08:58 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Good evening to all,Comments very welcome whether it be praise or criticism.

Today I spent quite a bit of time figuring out how to use the rubber garage door bottom to seal the gap as shown in my last post.
I ended up securing it to the top of the exterior vertical and horizontal trim that is also seen in the last post pic.
It makes contact very well with the inside of the skirting.
I am happy with the outcome as I had opened and closed the roof numerous times to make sure the seal would continue to work.

Now because of the time spent on this one wall,that is all I was able to get done working with this stuff today.
I needed to make sure it was going to be okay before moving on to the next wall. Only have 2 more days of good weather before it gets even colder.

Here is the first of 2 images showing the application.
The upper black strip you see in this image is of the Garage door strip making contact with the inside of the skirting that covers the opening/gap caused by the height of the Roll Off Roofs casters. I attached the rubber strip by using 1" #8 screws with #8 washers,every 10" 's. In between the screws I made sure the strip kept in contact with the wood using 1 1/4" long nails for added security.
Thanks for looking.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6172608 - 11/02/13 09:02 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Here is a second image of the same now sealed gap,just the opposite angle.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6172627 - 11/02/13 09:15 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

I will add one more image I shot showing the Garage door bottom seal mounted.
If you look at the right part of the image,you can see it is slightly angled up.
I had made sure when attaching it,I had it,rubber strip, extend 13/16ths of an inch outside the walls exterior.
The skirting is 5/8 's of an inch away form the wall.
This was to be sure that the rubber strip would have enough pressure on the skirting to allow proper sealing.
This is how it comes in the package.It makes for a perfect seal for this application so far I am very happy with how it works.
I hope that this explanation was not confusing.

Edited by tim57064 (11/02/13 09:16 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6172658 - 11/02/13 09:45 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

One last thing tonight.
I had also started to attach the boat winches to the inside of the Observatory. I started with the winch that opens the roof.
It is being placed on the west wall as that is the direction in which the roof rolls open. The winch is about 14 inches off the top of the work bench I am building,approximately 5 feet off the floor.
I started by building a platform/cage using 2"x8" boards that are attached to the center of the wall using 3 1/2" deck screws.
I then drilled a hole in the wall about 1 3/8" in diameter so it could accept the 1" PVC conduit pipe that the rope being used could easily traverse thru the wall without being caught.
The pipe is on a slight upwards angle so that it is in line somewhat with where the first of 3 pulleys will be on the cross member supporting the roofs outriggers.
I will be working on attaching the pulleys and permanently attaching both of the winches tomorrow. Here is an image of the near finished installation.

Edited by tim57064 (11/04/13 12:54 AM)

stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
      #6173181 - 11/03/13 06:21 AM

looks lie things are coming along
Norm

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: stmguy]
      #6173229 - 11/03/13 07:53 AM

Thanks norm, I have to say,even though I have built one other Observatory,for a friend,it seems as though this one is taking such a long time to get done.
I started work on it back in September and we are now into November.
The other OBS is 75 miles away and I only went down 2 weekends a month last summer,last year and it was up and running by fall.
Granted,sealing it up had not gotten finished and did not finish off the interior ,nor did we add a built in desk,nor a work bench.But it is a working OBS.
Guess mine would be too if I were not totally finishing it.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6173250 - 11/03/13 08:15 AM

Well, the computer repair is a Bust. As I stated in an earlier post,I had an older desktop computer out here in my shop,big mistake as the dust will do a number on them.
Now that it had quit working I had intended on repairing it if it was going to be feasible, and then using it in the OBS.
Well,the new power supply was not the problem.
So I am going to pull the hard drive and add it to my other desktop to use for extra storage.
I did not think that could be done yet ninosr says it can.
They are both windows 7 so hopefully it will work,I don't know though.
If one is Windows 7 home and the other is Pro is this still possible?

Any way,I now intend on putting my current desktop that I am on now,in the shop, out in the OBS and just use my laptop while in the shop.
I am going to strip what ever is salvageable out of the now defunct desktop and recycle the rest.
Anyone need 1 gig memory cards,Have 4 of them or maybe a dvd/cd writer,power sources anyone I have 2 of them.
I know, I am not looking to sell these items.
I thought about building another desktop yet after looking at the price of new motherboards,WOW not gonna happen.

Edited by tim57064 (11/03/13 08:21 AM)

rimcrazy
sage

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Overgaard, AZ
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: tim57064]
      #6173325 - 11/03/13 09:11 AM

You can put a second drive in your existing drive without a problem. Your BIOS knows which drive is the boot drive so you should not have any issues.

On Motherboards, I guess I don't know what you consider to be expensive or not. Just a very quick glance at Newegg.com and I came up with this mother board which fits perfect with this CPU. You don't need a barn burner of a PC to run an observatory. That mother board supports integrated graphics and the CPU has that built in so you don't need a graphics card. If your memory sticks are DDR3 they will fit on this motherboard and you are good to go for less than $200.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: rimcrazy]
      #6173357 - 11/03/13 09:39 AM

Quote:

You can put a second drive in your existing drive without a problem. Your BIOS knows which drive is the boot drive so you should not have any issues.

On Motherboards, I guess I don't know what you consider to be expensive or not. Just a very quick glance at Newegg.com and I came up with this mother board which fits perfect with this CPU. You don't need a barn burner of a PC to run an observatory. That mother board supports integrated graphics and the CPU has that built in so you don't need a graphics card. If your memory sticks are DDR3 they will fit on this motherboard and you are good to go for less than $200.

Thank You so much rimcrazy for your speedy reply.
I looked up the pricing for motherboards yet since I did not use any model number or such to find the direct replacement or other means of finding the correct part,I was finding prices around the $500.00 mark.
I am slightly computer savvy and if I truly would spend the time to check everything out,I suppose I could find exactly what I would need for a replacement.
Since the damage was not in the power source,I would assume that the mother board probably got too hot and fried. I would hate to keep attempting to purchase and replace different items in this thing only to find it was something different that was the problem. Maybe since this Computer is 10 years old, I should just leave it be and continue on with what I have now.
I did like the Gateway 838GM desktop yet maybe it is not worth repairing. What do you think? Just let it go? Since I do have a good working Dell desktop and a very good Windows 7 core I7 laptop?It would be more money in my pocket. I have a little trouble with deciding what is the best route to take sometimes.
Thanks again.

Edited by tim57064 (11/03/13 09:44 AM)

MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
      #6173396 - 11/03/13 10:05 AM

Tim, nice winch set-up! Maybe you could shoot a short video of it in action when ready? Believe me, I know how long this obs-building can take as the devil is in all the details.
Michael

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6173457 - 11/03/13 10:37 AM

I'm very happy the garage door sealer worked out well for you! You will be amazed at the difference it makes closing off the gap!

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #6173494 - 11/03/13 10:58 AM

Yup, it'll work. You just can't boot from it. All your files will be there.

I just built a desktop for my shed for about 250 bucks if you're interested in a parts list. It's pretty fast.

KenK
sage

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: MA, +41°, -71°
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Raginar]
      #6173985 - 11/03/13 03:48 PM

Hi Tim, I work in IT, in my profession, I'm imaging/re-imaging 5 or so laptops per week and I build probably on average 1 desktop every other week or so (for friends, etc.) I used to do it for money, but for the $50 I'd make on the build, it isn't worth becoming sometimes tech support forever! If your computer is 10 years old, you've definitely gotten your money out of it. With computer parts now-a-days, I'd say anything over 5 years is gravy!

Just to give you an idea, the last computer I build for someone, was an AMD i think 4 or 6 core processor, 8 GB of ram, 1TB hard disk, video/sound/lan on board, etc. I included a 24" LCD screen and wireless keyboard/mouse and the entire price was like $625. Was a pretty sweet machine.

I always have computers and computer parts all over my basement, if you need anything in particular, let me know, or if you want me to see if I could throw together a used system with parts I have, I could do that too!

Send me a PM!

Ken

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: MHamburg]
      #6174618 - 11/03/13 10:32 PM

Quote:

Tim, nice winch set-up! Maybe you could shoot a short video of it in action when ready? Believe me, I know how long this obs-building can take as the devil is in all the details.
Michael

Michael,Thank You for your reply.How have you been?

Today,I just happened to be thinking about possibly shooting a video of the roof opening and closing. When I am ready,I will do this,for sure.

I could have just slapped a building together by just putting up your normal roof trusses and I could have just said the heck with insulating and no finish at all for the interior,including no desk and no workbench,yet then I would have not enjoyed it as much a I am right now and it isn't even finished yet.

I sat out there ,inside, tonight for a while before heading in for the night and just looked at it and imagined being out there after it is done and enjoying my new home,"Grandpa's House", as my 2 year old granddaughter calls it.

My wife seems to want me to name it,"The Outer House Observatory".
So I think that is Her Name, "The Outer House Observatory".

Christening will be held,when I am finished,when that will be is as good your guess as it is mine.

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16165

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics