Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6174622 - 11/03/13 10:34 PM

Carol,Thank you so much for your reply and I want to thank you again for your suggestion on using the garage door seal.I guess I have already done that yet I cannot thank you enough as I was stumped more than just slightly on what I was going to use. I am very happy with it.

Edited by tim57064 (11/03/13 10:37 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KenK
sage

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: MA, +41°, -71°
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6174632 - 11/03/13 10:39 PM

Quote:

My wife seems to want me to name it,"The Outer House Observatory".
So I think that is Her Name, "The Outer House Observatory".

Christening will be held,when I am finished,when that will be is as good your guess as it is mine.

Good thing it's not called "The Outhouse Observatory" !

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Raginar]
      #6174648 - 11/03/13 10:49 PM

Quote:

Yup, it'll work. You just can't boot from it. All your files will be there.

I just built a desktop for my shed for about 250 bucks if you're interested in a parts list. It's pretty fast.

Chris Hello again.A huge Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for the heads up on my inquiry of whether I could put the gateway hard drive into my new desktop.
There is quite a bit of info on it that I would like to have and having added space to store image files would be great also.

A parts list on your computer build would be cool.

If you would please also any info how you are running your scope and camera thru your computer.
Is it all hardwired to your computer or wireless to your OBS computer then being viewed by your main?

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: KenK]
      #6174661 - 11/03/13 10:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Christening will be held,when I am finished,when that will be is as good your guess as it is mine.

Good thing it's not called "The Outhouse Observatory" !

KenK, That is exactly what I thought she said to begin with.
May be I will retract actually calling it "The outer House Obs" 'till I get some feedback on it. I had some others in mind that I liked better.
Yet, if I do not choose what she thought of maybe it will truly be my new home,"the outer house". would be given by my better half.

Also , Ken,I am somewhat tech savvy as far as putting something together ,yet not enough to figure out what is wrong or software problems that may arise.
I have always wanted to build my own computer instead of buying one yet the prices.
I have noticed better pricing lately,yet in the past have kept me from doing so.
For now though, I should maybe wait and just use what I have and try and get a replacement for my CG5 advanced mount as that to me should be next on my list after the OBS build.

Besides the honey do list I do have. way too much that needs to be done before and during winter.

Edited by tim57064 (11/03/13 11:11 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6174705 - 11/03/13 11:55 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

There is one last thing I want to add before finishing up for the day.
I finished the installation of the winches and all the pulleys for operating the roof,opening and closing.

First,I built the other winch platform and attached the winch and pulley above for closing the roof.
I placed it on the east inside wall at a height of about 6 feet as that wall will have some seating for myself or others that may come by.

Now the rope for closing the roof will be stowed away in the winch while the roof is open.

I have seen other OBS build where the cable that was used could be clearly seen when the roof was open.

I have chosen to only have it,the rope, attached to the opposite side of the roof when closing.

Here is the first pic of the days work showing the closing winch install complete. Thanks

Edited by tim57064 (11/04/13 08:54 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6174724 - 11/04/13 12:07 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Next,you will see that I have laminated my desktop.
I had some leftover counter top laminate from when I remodeled our kitchen 4 years ago.

It takes quite a bit longer for the contact adhesive to set up when it is slightly colder outside.

I used a hair dryer to help speed up, the set up time.
Contact adhesive needs to no longer be tacky on both the substrate and the laminate prior to marrying the two together.
The front edge of the desk will be Oak and will have a full width, 5" or 6" depth drawer in it.

Edited by tim57064 (11/04/13 12:47 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6174742 - 11/04/13 12:31 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

Last but not least,Today as I stated in my first post tonight,I installed the pulleys outside the Observatory on the horizontal supports.

I started out by framing up a box around the supports so as to extend the pulleys beyond the structure.
I used 3 pulleys for getting the rope to make it's 360 degree turn needed to head back towards the Obs.
You can just see,I believe, where the rope comes out of the OBS.
There is no way anyone could hang themself,unless they were as tall as Shaquille O'Neal, because the rope is nearly 7' from ground level next to the building.

Edited by tim57064 (11/04/13 12:50 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6174744 - 11/04/13 12:34 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Another shot,last one for the night,a little closer showing the way I decided to set up the pulleys and framing.

Edited by tim57064 (11/04/13 12:36 AM)

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6175849 - 11/04/13 04:33 PM

Everything looks great! Quality workmanship throughout. I don't know enough to do that myself, but I know it when I see it.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6176146 - 11/04/13 07:43 PM

Thank You Sooo very much Steve for your Kind words.
I started today by making another run to Menards to pick up what I needed to make the drawers for the desk and workbench.
I am sorry,as there are no pic's of what I was able to get done as all I got accomplished was to cut the 1/2" plywood to the desired sizes to make the drawers. Tomorrow I will have some shots for you all as I will have them assembled.
At that time,I will have before and after shots.
I saved a bit of money on materials by using sanded 1/2" plywood for the drawers,$8.00 for a 2'x4' stick each and purchased 3 of those and 3 sheets of 2'x4' 1/4" plywood for the drawer bottoms.
I wanted to use birch plywood yet that was $13.00 for the same size sheet. Way too much to justify the expense.
I will go into the construction of the drawers more tomorrow with the pic's. 'Till the morrow then

Oh,and by the way,my neighbor came over today during his lunch break and hooked up my cable to the OBS.
The mount for my HD set should be here by Wednesday.

Edited by tim57064 (11/04/13 07:45 PM)

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#6177267 - 11/05/13 12:12 PM

For naming your observatory, perhaps you can call it "Hale Hoku" (hale [HA-lay] is Hawaiian for house, while hoku [HOE-coo] is Hawaiian for star). The "Hale" part would at least get the English translation house into the equation for your wife, while sounding a little more exotic.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: hm insulators]
      #6177813 - 11/05/13 04:59 PM

Jim,If I may use your first name,The other day my wife suggested "Home of The Stars Observatory". How would that translate to Hawaiian?
I do like the sound of the translation you suggested yet would like to know the translation of what she suggested. Thanks for your reply,sounds cool.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6177870 - 11/05/13 05:25 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Another day of not getting very much done.
Ran back into town to get more wood for the edge banding needed for the desk,Oak and the workbench Pine and also pick up the drawer glides from my son.

I got home and my wife wanted to mow the front yard to get rid of the leaves so I had to get it running and mow the perimeter for her.
After which she had enough so I decided to get the backyard done before the weather,snow, moved in.
It was suppose to start snowing around noon today.

Well it started alright,almost as soon as the clocks struck 12 o'clock high,the flakes started to fall and haven't quit.
It is 4:16 pm right now and the white stuff is still coming down and suppose to continue into the night.

A quick pick of the years and the OBS's first real snowfall.

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
      #6178242 - 11/05/13 09:35 PM

I hope everything comes out alright with the Christening

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Megabusa]
      #6178296 - 11/05/13 10:05 PM

Tim , Ill give you 5 Stars out of 5 Stars on the Build , - 5 Stars out of 5 Stars for your Patients ( Weather )- 5 Stars out of 5 Stars for all the photos , and you already have a 5 Star CN rating , as for as the name goes ( The Other House Observatory ) Tim, really from the heart , You did a super good job , You will enjoy that for many years to come , Now hurry up and finish up that little stuff and start looking at some Stars
Nate

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Megabusa]
      #6178756 - 11/06/13 08:26 AM

Nate Thank You so much for your reply and your rating of the build.Thanks for all your kind words.

Me thinks we have ended up with 6 inches of snow yet with the temps suppose to be up in the mid to upper 40's by Friday and staying that way thru the weekend and into early next week, I think and hope the snow will be gone shortly.

"The Outer House OBS" or "The Other House OBS" would pertain to my situation as I like spending time out there,more so if I could figure out a better way to heat it.
With the amenities I am placing out there it seems more like a second home,except with no readily available bathroom.

Toml08

Reged: 01/08/11

Loc: Evergeen, CO
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: tim57064]
      #6180841 - 11/07/13 11:39 AM

Tim looking fantastic. You made some great head way over the last two weeks I've been off the board. Your build is something to be very proud of.

CS,
Tom.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Toml08]
      #6181726 - 11/07/13 07:50 PM

Thank You Tom for your reply and kind words. Everything seems to be slowing down a little bit now as finish work always does for me for some reason.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6181753 - 11/07/13 08:06 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

I made a little headway today by getting the drawers all assembled and installed.
Cutting dado's and everything else to size takes a while.
The desk drawer has it's front,oak, installed although not stained and varnished.

The workbench drawers have yet to have the fronts made.They will most likely be made from poplar though.

Good thing I'm not trying to make a living at finish carpentry as it takes me a bit longer than the pro's.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6181755 - 11/07/13 08:08 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

One last shot for the night. This one shows the full motion LCD TV wall bracket installed today also.

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16226

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics