Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6185360 - 11/09/13 08:07 PM

Carol, Thank You soo much for your reply and kind words of wisdom and advice.
Everyone does have their own intricasies of their own observatories.
Something they can call their own and have either built themselves or have had built.
I have been amazed on what I have seen here with what people have been able to come up with.
From building your own Dome from scratch to fully automating a Roll Off Roof Obs,to the many different types of scopes,mounts and other equipment used.

Many on here are able to take exquisite astro images using the least likely scope setup for the job. This has always amazed me.
Many times I wish that my wife showed as much interest in this hobby as I have and since I have now been building the OBS she has seemed to show a little more and has helped when I have asked for it,as much as she can.

Won't be too much longer before I can get this thing operational,I hope.

Well enough of my rambling on. Hope everyone has an enjoyable evening and Clear skies to all.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6185410 - 11/09/13 08:45 PM

While I use rubberized tiles rather than carpet, I found that I did not want the hassle of going right up to the pier, but rather left about a 4 inch gap between tile and pier. I then used foam in the gap.

The way I look at it, is that someone will always have a nicer observatory (telescope, car, wife, dog, or whatever) than I do either from a skill perspective, monetary perspective, or just plain luck. I do not begrudge them nor am I jealous; in fact I wish them well and hope they enjoy theirs as much as I do mine.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6185501 - 11/09/13 09:39 PM

Yeah Steve, That 15 foot dome of yours would have looked great on my building instead of yours. I'll trade yah,how 'bout it?

Just kiddin', although a dome is so recognizable that there would be quite a bit more interest around here as to what is going on. It would have been so cool to have had a Dome that size too.

I am going to build an Octagon around the pier so the concrete cannot be seen and have already sealed the gap between the floor and the pier with expanding foam.

Rubberized tiles huh? The interlocking style I presume.
Are they truly that comfortable?
Already have the carpet so a stuck with that decision. Much less expensive I am sure only $53.00 for 10'x12'.

Edited by tim57064 (11/09/13 09:41 PM)

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

#6185650 - 11/09/13 11:32 PM

Well, the interlocking rubberized tiles were surplus and cost very little. In fact I ended up with extra which I will try and use somewhere. They are, however, very comfortable and cover the plywood in a rather soft manner for comfort and may help eventually when we drop something useful (I hope not, but reality intrudes).

We had many zoning issues to cover (county and town). So there were all sorts of restrictions on size, height, placement, color, etc. Since technically what we erected is "temporary" the rules were less restrictive. Toughest one was height, which we are one foot under. Placement was also restricted.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6185662 - 11/09/13 11:40 PM

Quote:

Rubberized tiles huh? The interlocking style I presume.

There has been a couple of posts here about static building up in these tiles, and then touching the pier, etc., a shock results. Don't know if this is a problem with everyone, or just in certain areas.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6186053 - 11/10/13 08:01 AM

Carol,Isn't static electricity more of a problem during dryer ,less humid periods?
Winter time is known for this and carpeting ,I would think would be more of a problem then rubber.

I have heard and read a little here about this problem yet never really thought about it 'til now.
That small amount of static electricity could hurt the electronics?
Wouldn't having a separate ground attached somehow to the mount help in that respect?
In respect to carpet,I think that there is an anti static spray that may help also,not sure on that though.
Very interesting,I will have to look further into it.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6186057 - 11/10/13 08:07 AM

Steve, Are you located in a HOA zone?
If so I am sorry as that can be a pain as your neighbors can control what you do on your property,correct?
I suppose in a way it can be nice though as then you would not have to live next to a neighbor of whom collects a lot of junk.
Or live next to an ugly purple house.
The only thing I had to do is have the OBS placed 5 feet from the lot line for the utilities right of way.

Edited by tim57064 (11/10/13 08:10 AM)

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #6186177 - 11/10/13 09:43 AM

Quote:

Carol,Isn't static electricity more of a problem during dryer ,less humid periods?
Winter time is known for this and carpeting ,I would think would be more of a problem then rubber.

I have heard and read a little here about this problem yet never really thought about it 'til now.
That small amount of static electricity could hurt the electronics?
Wouldn't having a separate ground attached somehow to the mount help in that respect?
In respect to carpet,I think that there is an anti static spray that may help also,not sure on that though.
Very interesting,I will have to look further into it.

Static electricity is more of a problem when the humidity is very low, because the air is more of an insulator. The general notion is that winter air is more dry than summer air, but that's not really the case. *Indoor* winter air can be much more dry than summer air because it is heated. Hot air can hold more moisture than cold air, so if the outside air is cold and at 60% humidity, when it's heated in a house, it can become maybe 20% humidity or less. This should not be the case with an unheated, outdoor structure like an observatory.

I've installed the interlocking foam tiles in my POD and have not noticed any issues with static electricity. I've heard it mentioned here recently, so I'm keeping an eye on it. I tend to be a person that "suffers" from more static electricity than the average Joe - I've always chalked it up to maybe higher skin resistance or something. But I often generate sparks in the winter that are bright and painful! I spend extra money to get static-discharge shoes to help with this situation, and I have to avoid certain kinds of materials in clothing. So I think this makes me a good test case. So far, no static issues.

As for the "small amount" of electricity - static generates a very small amount of current, but at a very high voltage. The voltage needed to create a spark is 70,000 volts per inch at sea level. So, if your finger gets to say 1/16 of an inch of a metal object when the spark appears, that means it is over 4,000 volts. So yes, that can definitely damage integrated circuits and other components on a circuit board. However, a well designed electronic device will have a grounded metal case that routes the spark to ground and protects its internal circuits. Still, depending on the device, how its wired, how good the ground is, how bad the spark is, and where it hits the device, there's still a chance it can do some damage.

-Dan

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

#6186243 - 11/10/13 10:22 AM

Quote:

Steve, Are you located in a HOA zone?
If so I am sorry as that can be a pain as your neighbors can control what you do on your property,correct?
I suppose in a way it can be nice though as then you would not have to live next to a neighbor of whom collects a lot of junk.
Or live next to an ugly purple house.
The only thing I had to do is have the OBS placed 5 feet from the lot line for the utilities right of way.

Fortunately, no HOA. I had to fight to keep it out because at one time there was a mild movement to put one in our neighborhood. We had to be a certain distance from the lot line and a distance from utilities; we also were constrained by size (sq ft), and height but those were easy to comply with. If we had wanted a roll off rather than a dome, it would have been more difficult to get building permits but my wife would probably have been happier. However she has learned to like what we built so that part is now ok.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6187699 - 11/10/13 10:29 PM

Dan, Many thanks for your reply and explanation of static electricity issues.
I've never heard of static discharge shoes before,very interesting.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6187731 - 11/10/13 10:47 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Well today turned out to be very productive in my eye anyway.
Finally feeling as though I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I was able to get the vinyl down inside the doorway and the carpet installed.
Looks soo much better than just a painted floor,feels much better on the feet too.
Now I don't want to leave it to go in the house.
Hmmm,Maybe if I would add on a bathroom? Not!

First image of the days progress.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6187741 - 11/10/13 10:52 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Here is another pic from a different angle.
Sorry about the spots in the pic. Guess I need to clean off the lens of my point and shoot camera.

Edited by tim57064 (11/10/13 11:07 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6187744 - 11/10/13 10:54 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

And yet one more showing the cutout around the pier which is already sealed around it by using expanding foam.
There is one more thing I want to do with the pier.
That is, building an Octagon cage to go around it, out of 3/4" plywood for better aesthetics.

I must add also that it was not easy getting the carpet up and over the pier and getting a close cut.
I am glad I have had experience with laying carpet many times before.

Edited by tim57064 (11/10/13 11:12 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6187756 - 11/10/13 11:02 PM

I have to say that without the help from my better half and from all of you on here,I would not be at the point I am now. Thanks to all of you of whom have given advice and encouragement.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #6188079 - 11/11/13 07:19 AM

Nice job on the carpet, especially around that pier! Whether it's carpet or rubber tiles, there's something about a proper floor covering that make a place start to feel cozy and complete. Looks nice!

-Dan

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6188191 - 11/11/13 09:08 AM

Dan,Thank You very much for your reply.
I am very pleased with how the carpeting went.
I was a little concerned on placement around the pier as the Level Loop is a very stiff product.

Padding,although more comfortable, was not used as this is an OBS not a living room or bedroom, would have also made it more difficult to move the desk chair around while seated in it.
Indentations and stability would be worse where ever a person used an astro chair or ladder for viewing.

snommisbor
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/15/09

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
      #6188367 - 11/11/13 11:08 AM

Looks great, the carpet really makes it look nice.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: snommisbor]
      #6188389 - 11/11/13 11:19 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

Rob ,Thank You for your reply.
I still have yet to get those metal strips ,gold or silver that cover the edges of the carpet where it meets the vinyl.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#6188433 - 11/11/13 11:46 AM

Quote:

Jim,If I may use your first name,The other day my wife suggested "Home of The Stars Observatory". How would that translate to Hawaiian?
I do like the sound of the translation you suggested yet would like to know the translation of what she suggested. Thanks for your reply,sounds cool.

Sorry it took so long to reply to your post; I'm usually on here but once a week.

Anyway, "Hale Hoku" would translate to "Home (or House) of the Stars." The island of Maui has a volcano called Haleakala, which translates to "House of the Sun." A long time ago, I once saw the sun rise from atop its 10,000-foot peak; a lovely sight but I wasn't able to fully enjoy it as I remember having laryngitis and not feeling at my greatest that day.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: hm insulators]
      #6188463 - 11/11/13 12:03 PM

I love the color of your observatory walls; it's perfect! You did a great job of building your desk, too; I was looking at it and thinking it would make a terrific model-building workbench, with lots of storage space, one thing you can never have too much of!

That snow in some of your pictures looks much too cold! I'll take my nice warm-to-hot Phoenix, Arizona!

Edited by hm insulators (11/11/13 12:05 PM)

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14919

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics