Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Megabusa]
      #6117942 - 10/04/13 08:29 PM

Nate,thanks for the link. I checked those out and it appears as though the bristles would not be long enough to be useful for my application. thanks anyway.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6118291 - 10/05/13 12:36 AM

Try here; all different thickness/lengths

Link

I had planned on using these on the railing sides; but am very happy with the garage door strips.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6118675 - 10/05/13 09:27 AM

Carol,Thank You for the link. I believe though that the price is way more than I can afford or would like to spend.Maybe,I will look into what you have,the garage door strips,hopefully they won't be too high in cost.
I attached the casters yesterday to the 2'x8' boards yesterday and wow they are going to be quite a bit higher off the top plate of the wall than I had anticipated.
With the design I have now,4" V casters
,the roof will be rolling at least 7 inches higher than the top plate of the walls. On the other OBS I built the casters are smaller and only have the roof rolling about 4 inches higher than the walls. I guess this is no big deal though.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6118689 - 10/05/13 09:37 AM

It is only going to be 52 degrees f today,burr,yet if the rain holds off,I am going to try and get something done outside. I do not like to have construction lumber out when it can get wet as it tends to warp when not secured properly,if you know what I mean. Guess I worry too much when it comes to this though as house construction always goes on in all kinds of weather.
Blizzard still going on 200 miles to the west and we could still get more rain here thru tomorrow. Extremely weird weather here,Tornadoes 90 miles away last night while Blizzard going on a less than a couple hundred miles to the west.

Edited by tim57064 (10/05/13 09:43 AM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

#6119015 - 10/05/13 12:55 PM

Tim, This is what I used.

Quote:

the roof will be rolling at least 7 inches higher than the top plate of the walls.

However, it you are going to have a gap this large, this stripping will not cover it. I have a very small gap between the roof and the base of the observatory. I worry that you will be getting lots of uninvited "guests" thru a gap that large. You may have to figure some sort of cover on the outside of the building, attached to the moving roof section.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6119090 - 10/05/13 01:57 PM

Carol, I guess I should have stated a little more than the gap height. I do plan to install a skirt to cover the gap distance and the way you took care of closing the gap left over would work for me. Thank you for your continued replies and help. Tim

csa/montana
Den Mama

#6119105 - 10/05/13 02:14 PM

You're most welcome, Tim!

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6119702 - 10/05/13 09:57 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

Today I got the casters mounted on the 2"x8" runners and placed on the top of the walls.Even though I have been working on this project for merely a week,it doesn't seem to be going fast enough. I think I would be further along if the weather would just co-operate. Today only got to 45 degrees f and rain threatened all day. Tomorrow is another day yet with a 40 percent chance of rain again,I feel as though not much will be accomplished again. Hopefully forecasters will be wrong.

I stated above that I have merely been working on this build for a week yet after going back to another thread that I had discussing concrete,I realized that I had started the OBS build on Sept.24th so it has been 2 weeks now since I started. Good grief ,am I getting that old to where I forget so easily the time that has passed. No wonder I feel as though this is going so slow.

Edited by tim57064 (10/05/13 11:04 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6119721 - 10/05/13 10:05 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

In the last image, the window is facing north towards our house. Here is a send image of the back side showing the runner with the casters in place. Tomorrow I am going to see about getting the siding on that I painted in the garage on Thursday. Even though the wood the casters are mounted on is not treated,they are quite heavy at 12' long.

Edited by tim57064 (10/05/13 10:08 PM)

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
      #6120024 - 10/06/13 03:27 AM

(Cloudy) I see what you are saying about the Weather TIM ,It kind-Da reminds Me of when I lived in Louisiana, I hope it clears up Fa-Ya , If not you might have to turn your Obs into Noah's Ark

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Megabusa]
      #6123551 - 10/07/13 08:23 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

Hello,Today I got the siding,that I painted in the garage last Thursday, and the door installed. I have yet to pick up the 1"x4"s for the vertical trim to make this look like board and batten style siding.
Tomorrow if all goes well, I hope to get a good start on building and installing the Hip Roof Trusses.
The weather has changed for the better for the next 3 days it will be in the mid to upper 70's , so gotta get my tail in gear and get this thing done.

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA
      #6123977 - 10/08/13 01:08 AM

Looks great Tim! And you're making great progress despite the weather issues.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: BYoesle]
      #6124296 - 10/08/13 08:27 AM

Thank You so much Bob,I appreciate the sentiment yet I surely wish that it was as cool looking and as large as yours. My wife is right,After getting the siding on,It now does look like just a big box sitting out in the yard.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6124336 - 10/08/13 08:48 AM

Last night I went out and spent a little time inside to see how well the height of the walls blocked the annoying lights from around the neighborhood. It works great as far as the neighbors,yet the street light that is on the northwest corner of my property now can be clearly see from inside the OBS.
This was one light I was really hoping to avoid. The light actually shines over the front wall and reflects off the back wall.
My thoughts are,to tear down the OBS now and forget about the whole thing,Not, No Way. Too much invested. What I would like to know is if anyone out there has successfully dealt with their power company and either had a street light moved to a different location or,were able to get them to put a switch on it? I would like to thank anyone that can help in this matter ahead of time.

Edited by tim57064 (10/08/13 08:49 AM)

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #6124355 - 10/08/13 08:56 AM

You might want to consider some kind of a swing up panel to block that light. Something like a piece of plywood attached near the top of the wall with hinges. When you roll the roof off, you could swing the panel up into place and latch it. Just a thought.

-Dan

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6124425 - 10/08/13 09:33 AM

Dan, Thanks for your advice and reply. I was thinking possibly of something like that as a temporary solution while I deal with the power company. The light shines down on my back wall about 20 inches or so and if I stand towards the back wall,I can clearly see the offending light. Extremely annoying as I have already spent enough on this build. Thanks

csa/montana
Den Mama

#6124487 - 10/08/13 10:04 AM

Quote:

What I would like to know is if anyone out there has successfully dealt with their power company and either had a street light moved to a different location or,were able to get them to put a switch on it? I would like to thank anyone that can help in this matter ahead of time.

Don't know how it is elsewhere, but here they will not allow a switch to be installed. Rather ask them if they could "shade" paint the side reflecting on your house (don't mention the observatory)!

My power company did this willingly for the yard light that used to be in my yard.

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA
      #6124507 - 10/08/13 10:15 AM

Quote:

I would like to know is if anyone out there has successfully dealt with their power company and either had a street light moved to a different location or,were able to get them to put a switch on it? I would like to thank anyone that can help in this matter ahead of time.

Hi Tim -- It doesn't hurt to explain the situation and ask.

I had a HPMV light ~ 30 ft from our house that shined directly into the bedroom window a while back where we lived. We requested the PUD to remove or shield it, and they applied some kind of coating to the inside facing the house that dramatically reduced the brightness.

So I would try that route.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #6124512 - 10/08/13 10:16 AM

Call your power company and ask. You never know till you try. Just explain to them what you're doing and why it's important. Even a simple metal shield would work.

stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Raginar]
      #6124524 - 10/08/13 10:20 AM

not sure what color your inside walls are but I painted mine flat dark blue which helped with reflections somewhat. You could also build a shade of plastic pipe and black plastic if the plywood is too heavy.

Norm

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16258

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics