Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6142415 - 10/17/13 08:12 AM

Yes, the go out and "flip a few switches" thing is addictive. I feel you will get a LOT more observing time since little windows of good sky can be easily taken advantage of. You will absolutely LOVE the ease of use.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6143578 - 10/17/13 07:33 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Steve, thanks for your reply.
Today I finished up the exterior trim on the west side,2 pieces, and attached the flap on the east side to close the gap between the roof and wall.It will have to be held open when opening the roof.

I also finally built some temprary steps for entry into the OBS.
Temporary,because next spring I will be adding a covered porch to the OBS. I already have enough red steel roofing for the job,yet I want to move on to working on the inside now and the porch is not as important.

I wasn't sure if I was going to post any pic's yet thought I would anyway.Here is the first,a shot of the flap installed today.

Edited by tim57064 (10/17/13 07:34 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6143583 - 10/17/13 07:36 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Here is another a close up of the hinge style used.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6143597 - 10/17/13 07:44 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Okay I know this is no big deal yet I like to show everything that gets done on the build. So here is a shot of the temporary steps.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6143638 - 10/17/13 08:06 PM

Tomorrow I plan to move inside and get to work on the electrical. Plan to have atleast 2 outlets per wall and am running cable inside the OBS .

I will be installing an extra 42 inch 120 hertz hdtv in the OBS.
I also will be moving in my surround system from our basement.I want the full surround treatment while viewing and imaging.
I haven't used the system for a couple of years so it will be nice to listen to it again.
As stated earlier,I also plan on having my Bass Guitars out there also for playing since the wife does not appreciate the sound they produce in the house.
There is plenty of wall space so plenty of room.

I am also thinking of using some kind of material for the walls to help absorb the sound that will be produced in there when the roof is closed.Surround sound and a Bass guitar can thump.
This will hopefully prove to be a cool man cave for me.Recliner in the works also.

I plan to have a security system installed even though it will be merely 60 feet from the house.So everything will hopefully be better protected,including my scopes.
Most likely the security system will consist of,hmmmm not sure yet,suggestions welcome.

Edited by tim57064 (10/17/13 08:09 PM)

rimcrazy
sage

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Overgaard, AZ
      #6143672 - 10/17/13 08:29 PM

Quote:

Most likely the security system will consist of,hmmmm not sure yet,suggestions welcome.

Well I use only one locked door with a steel security door and vandal proof 24/7 video security.

If that fails you might try this

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: rimcrazy]
      #6143769 - 10/17/13 09:18 PM

Thanks rimcrazy,for the reply and the link to something I might want to see. Looks hilarious.

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
      #6143874 - 10/17/13 10:22 PM

Can Spiders be Trained /\ ( Tim Everything looks good , I like the way you covered up the Gaps on the sides and hinged the back board , COOL Now when Your up & running you will start staying up later & later & later , No Decaf Coffee for You , =

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Megabusa]
      #6144501 - 10/18/13 09:34 AM

Nate,I appreciate your approval on what has been done so far. We will see if approval rating changes as I move to finishing the interior.

I have been surprised with the number of responses not being very good.I would think that with the number of OBS out there,I would have received more on questions I have posted.
Is it that once you have an OBS your interest wains in the forums? I do truly appreciate all that have replied.

rimcrazy
sage

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Overgaard, AZ
      #6144504 - 10/18/13 09:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks rimcrazy,for the reply and the link to something I might want to see. Looks hilarious.

On a serious note, steel security doors are really your best friend. Overgaard is a rural area. They are just like any other town with really great people and some real jerks. There was a Father/Son (gotta love it right?) team a while back that were breaking into homes. It was a typical grab and run but there method of break-in was to simply kick in doors. By code, doors open in. 90% of most commercial doors are incredibly weak both at the latch and in the center. A quick kick by a relative strong person can break in a door in seconds. Steel security doors open out and by their very nature of how they are attached, for all intent, cannot be kicked in. That's not to say a determined thief won't look for another entry point but if all you have is one door, there is no other entry point. The best you can do is simply make your residence a very unappealing target. Fact is, there will be plenty of neighbors that won't go to your lengths to be secure. Unfortunate for them but the thieves will most likely head for them and leave you alone. For the most determined thief, short of hiring your own full time 24/7 security team, there is not much you can do.

A steel door works best. My observatory, like many, has a "short" door. My contractor ordered it and it is 6.5' high. For my steel security door, my son, who has a metal fabrication business, took a standard steel door I purchased at Home Depot, and we cut it down and re-welded it back together. It is actually a pretty simple thing to do. All you really need is a grinder with a cutting wheel and access to someone who can Mig weld. It took us under an hour to cut it down and reassemble it back together. You might be able to custom order one but if you can do the work yourself or have access to someone who can help you it's really pretty easy.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6144531 - 10/18/13 09:53 AM

Thank you rimcrazy for your reply.
I am thinking of something on the order of a security cam and maybe an alarm of some sort. We have not had a whole lot of burglaries in our area,yet it only takes one here at home and would feel better about leaving things in there if some sort of security was involved.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6144549 - 10/18/13 10:04 AM

There was something else that I am wondering about.
I have a Gateway model 838GM desktop computer with Windows 7, that had died a little while back. I had it located in a cabinet in my wood working shop and suppose it was the dust that did it in.
One day I came out to the shop and attempted to turn it on,and nothing. Usually you would here the fans start up,yet nothing happened.
What I am wondering is if anyone thinks if it would be worth attempting to fix.
I would like to put it in the OBS to use for running my scopes and camera. I would be using Splashtop on another computer in my shop to view the screen and run everything that way during the winter months.

Now I know it may be impossible to diagnose what the problem may be yet I would appreciate any and all responses. Thank You

Toml08

Reged: 01/08/11

Loc: Evergeen, CO
      #6144566 - 10/18/13 10:16 AM

Tim you are really moving. Again that is a great build.

CS,
Tom.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6144567 - 10/18/13 10:17 AM

Quote:

Nate,I appreciate your approval on what has been done so far. We will see if approval rating changes as I move to finishing the interior.

I have been surprised with the number of responses not being very good.I would think that with the number of OBS out there,I would have received more on questions I have posted.
Is it that once you have an OBS your interest wains in the forums? I do truly appreciate all that have replied.

I thought your thread was getting good response. Perhaps some of your questions, we did not have experience with, in order to answer. I don't think a lot of us experience our interest in the forum to wain, after ours is built; rather more interest, because we've been there. Also, we might get some ideas we can still apply to our observatories.

Quote:

temporary steps

BTW, those steps look very good for being "temporary".

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA
      #6144579 - 10/18/13 10:24 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Quote:

Having suffered a break-in before, I decided no tot have any exterior windows for my observatory, and the roof sections are held in place by the garage door openers and can't be opened from the outside.

Even with a metal-clad door, the weak link is the door frame, which usually is made of thin wood. Unless you spend $$$ for a steel door frame/door, even with a typical "dead bolt" it is extremely easy for a thief to just kick open the door with enough force to break the door framing.

Therefore, I took the next-best-thing extra step of reinforcing the frame itself with a piece of 3/16ths inch (5 mm) steel plate with pre-drilled holes for the securing bolts and the opening for the dead bolt. With any luck, a potential thief will break their ankle before the door gives way... and I know most everyone who works at the local emergency room

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6144601 - 10/18/13 10:42 AM

Tom ,Thank You for your response.

Carol, I do truly appreciate all the response I have received.
It is just that I see the number of views and the number of responses are way different. You may only get one answer to a question put forth. Even though it may be the right one or what you wanted to hear,not much discussion or different viewpoints.

I apologize if it sounds like I am wining.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6144612 - 10/18/13 10:49 AM

Bob as always, Thank you for your reply on security.So far I haven't done much more than install a deadbolt and handle. There are different ways/items that a person can get for better securing the door. I will have to choose which one that will work with what I have.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6144619 - 10/18/13 10:53 AM

My door opens outward, which may make it more difficult to kick in. I don't worry however, as the observatory is in full view of the house, plus thru my 4x8 bedroom window. Did I mention I'm an extremely "light" sleeper.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: BYoesle]
      #6144650 - 10/18/13 11:10 AM

Bob, I was also wondering what make of deadbolt do you use? For instance,Kwiksets inner mechanisms and housings are not as robust as Dexter by Schlage.

Edited by tim57064 (10/18/13 07:06 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: tim57064]
      #6144656 - 10/18/13 11:16 AM

Carol,I thought about installing the door so that it opens outward,yet then the hinge bolts are on the outside also. Making it easy to just take them out and taking the door off. I almost installed the door that way on my friends OBS 'till I realized this.There must be hinges that are better for exterior outward opening doors.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16168

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics