Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1
BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Ds collection
      #6105993 - 09/28/13 01:39 PM

Since I believe better an achievable than an unobtainable goal,I want to say I have reached one of mine:a set of Meade DS original style scopes in 60,70,80,90,114,and 127mm apertures.

Why? Because they were cheap and I'm a packrat!And they will eventually look neat lined up for a group portrait.

It's cheaper on the trailing edge,and the pioneers already took most of the arrows....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
Re: Ds collection new [Re: BigC]
      #6106080 - 09/28/13 02:33 PM

Pictures!!! Congrats. Like you Ill never obtain a goal like all the Unitrons, or all the Meade Research Grade eyepieces...But Im gathering a Classic Orange celestron SCT collection and I have the Edmund RKE complete eyepiece line..both very obtainable goals. Id love to see pictures of your Meade Collection

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
Re: Ds collection new [Re: bob midiri]
      #6106199 - 09/28/13 03:44 PM

The DS series came in two formats. The earlier versions were alt/azm cradle mounts with external motors. The DS 2000 series were single arm mounts with internal motors.

Which do you have?

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Ds collection new [Re: apfever]
      #6107247 - 09/29/13 11:12 AM

The "set" is cradle mount with external motors.Actually waiting on arrival of the 127.

FWIW, I also have some of the one-arm internal motor series: DS-90,102,130, and DSX-90.

The current DS series with AudioStar constitute a third group and I have the DS114 Jones design reflector as an example.Have yet to find the late model DS-130 Audiostar model at my price.

I have a DS-90 one-arm semi-permanenty equiped with solar filter for sunspots and used it for the brief glimpses the clouds permitted of the last past Venus transit.

Used the DS-80 cradle mount for my first good look at Mars a year or two past.

Used the DSX-90 to see excellent if small Saturn some months later.

How soon we forget! I really should have used an observation notebook.

Anyway I just get a kick out of finding these scopes and even sometimes using them ! SO many scopes are bought ,seldom used,then trashed or donated to sit in the corner of some thrift store,or offered for a pittance at a yard sale or online ad.I just can't help giving a few of them a home!
The ones that are mint and priced at or above their original MSRP I leave for the SERIOUS collectors.

Now I need a telescope barn next to the observing spot so each scope has its moment in the starlight;but the shelter might cost more than its contents!

mak17
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Ds collection new [Re: BigC]
      #6107953 - 09/29/13 06:00 PM

I had a DS90 with the external motors. After replacing the tripod legs with wooden ones, eliminating electrical noise from the motors, and replacing the focuser it was a sweet scope.

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
Re: Ds collection new [Re: mak17]
      #6107958 - 09/29/13 06:06 PM

BigC,

PM sent

Pages: 1

Extra information
29 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 295

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics