Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Astrorookie

Reged: 06/30/10

Considering my 1st filter
      #6106911 - 09/29/13 03:31 AM

Have a xt10, live in red/orange zone. Considering getting a filter for the 1st time. Not sure how much it will help in my zone. But I do want to try it.

If you can only buy 1 filter, which filter would help with the most nebulas.

Should I get uhc or OIII? Is there one that's like a hybrid between the two?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TexasRed
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/11

Loc: East Texas
Re: Considering my 1st filter new [Re: Astrorookie]
      #6106978 - 09/29/13 06:07 AM

UHC

Mariner@sg
sage

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Little Red Dot
Re: Considering my 1st filter new [Re: TexasRed]
      #6106990 - 09/29/13 06:34 AM

UHC. Or more accurately, a narrowband.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #6107014 - 09/29/13 07:23 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

Quote:

Have a xt10, live in red/orange zone. Considering getting a filter for the 1st time. Not sure how much it will help in my zone. But I do want to try it.

Thanks

Get a narrow-band nebula filter like the Lumicon UHC, DGM Optics NPB, Thousand Oaks Narrowband LP-2, or Orion Ultrablock filter. Here, you can buy on price and still get a pretty good filter. The narrow-band filters tend to work on a majority of diffuse emission and planetary nebulae, while the OIII and H-Beta "line" filters tend to work well mainly on sub-sets of those emission nebulae. Thus, the narrow-band nebula filter is a sort of "one size fits all" when it comes to nebula filter performance. Later on, you may want to consider getting a good OIII filter, but for now, I might recommend you just get a good narrow-band filter like those I mentioned above. For more information about filters for deep-sky use, the following article may be of some use:

Light Pollution, Narrow-band, and Line Nebula Filters

Clear skies to you.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Considering my 1st filter new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6107107 - 09/29/13 09:39 AM

I just picked up a NPB recently and have had the best views of M20,17,26,57 I have ever seen! Can't wait to see M42 in it:)

Astrorookie

Re: Considering my 1st filter new [Re: REC]
      #6108038 - 09/29/13 07:13 PM

Is lumicon uhc the one to get or are there better choices that will work on more objects?

Thanks

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Loc: Central Texas
      #6108176 - 09/29/13 08:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Astrorookie - I live in a red/orange zone near Austin TX. Plenty of glow from the City especially when I'm looking to the south from my location, which btw is looking toward Austin. After reading several good reviews and threads I decided on the DGM NPB. I had my first session with it and I can say, on emission nebula (at least the ones I looked at), it made a big positive difference. The sky was darkened and there was more detail seen on the nebula. I'm sure it is similar to the Lumicon and other narrow band filters. I believe the OIII is another good filter and maybe on some objects, better then my NPB. The filters are not really what I'd call inexpensive at least on my budget,g. I will add an OIII filter, probably a Lumicon, in the near future. I think between those two and my broadband I would be set. Good luck with your decision.... Tony

David Knisely
Postmaster

#6108510 - 09/30/13 12:33 AM

Quote:

Is lumicon uhc the one to get or are there better choices that will work on more objects?

Thanks

The Lumicon UHC is in a class of filters intended for only emission and planetary nebulae, and is known as a "narrow-band" nebula filter. Other similar narrow-band nebula filters of good quality include the DGM Optics NPB, Orion Ultrablock, and Thousand Oaks Narrowband LP-2 filters. There is no single filter that will work well on all types of deep-sky objects, although under mild light pollution or a dark sky, the so-called "broad-band" LPR (Light Pollution Reduction) filters can provide a small boost in contrast for some of the larger and more diffuse galaxies. However, on emission and planetary nebulae, the narrow-band nebula filters like the Lumicon UHC can provide a nice boost in the contrast, so they tend to be one of the more valuable accessories for deep-sky observing. Clear skies to you.

Astrorookie

#6109010 - 09/30/13 10:26 AM

Is there a list somewhere online that shows all the emission and planetary nebulae?.

David Knisely
Postmaster

#6109331 - 09/30/13 01:58 PM

There are many catalogs of emission and planetary nebulae. For Planetaries, there is Doug Snyder's Planetary Nebula Observer's Home Page:

http://www.blackskies.org/

The best way to find them is to use a good star atlas like Sky Atlas 2000 or Uranometria, which both show hundreds of planetaries and many of the larger more diffuse emission nebulae. However, if you want to know about which filter may work with which of the more prominent nebular objects, the following article may be of some use to you:

Filter Performance Comparisons For Some Common Nebulae

Clear skies to you.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #6109495 - 09/30/13 03:43 PM

#1 Lumicon UHC, #2 Lumicon OIII, #3 Lumicon HBeta.

Mariner@sg
sage

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Little Red Dot
Re: Considering my 1st filter new [Re: GeneT]
      #6110091 - 09/30/13 09:34 PM

I currently own the following:

1) Omega NPB
2) Lumicon OIII
3) Baader OIII
4) Orion H-beta

I happened to get the Baader O3 first before I stumbled on the Lumicon at a good price. Have yet to try out the Lumicon though but quite please with both the NPB and the Baader so far. The H-beta have seen limited use till now.

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
Re: Considering my 1st filter new [Re: Mariner@sg]
      #6110116 - 09/30/13 09:44 PM

I concur with the majority here. Get a UHC first -it is the best all purpose filter. Follow up with an OIII.

tomchris
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/22/10

Loc: Connecticut, U.S.A.
Re: Considering my 1st filter new [Re: aatt]
      #6112600 - 10/02/13 08:14 AM

I currently have a Baader UHC-S filter which supposed lets in a little more light than the Lumicon. It works very well with my small refractors. Anyway, I agree that a UHC should be first.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#6112854 - 10/02/13 10:45 AM

Ultrablock. Get it during the after XMAS sale.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: Considering my 1st filter new [Re: tomchris]
      #6113557 - 10/02/13 04:55 PM

Quote:

I currently have a Baader UHC-S filter which supposed lets in a little more light than the Lumicon. It works very well with my small refractors. Anyway, I agree that a UHC should be first.

The Baader UHC-S is not at all a "true" UHC like the Lumicon model. The UHC-S is in a class of filter known as a broad-band "LPR" (Light Pollution Reduction) filter, and while it may help, it won't provide nearly the level of contrast boost on emission nebulae that a true narrow-band nebula filter like the Lumicon UHC, DGM NPB, Orion Ultrablock, or Thousand Oaks Narrowband LP-2 filters can. Basically, as a few other companies have done in the past, Baader just copied the "UHC" term from Lumicon without their permission (Lumicon created the UHC name which stands for "Ultra High Contrast"). Baader just helps confuse people by the misuse of the UHC term. The "true" UHC is the Lumicon UHC (other UHCs need not apply ). Clear skies to you.

George9
sage

Reged: 12/11/04

#6113577 - 10/02/13 05:10 PM

I admit I have less experience than many on this thread, but I am wondering about starting with the OIII instead if you are in a light-polluted region. I have found that some objects do noticeably better in a narrow OIII (e.g., Lumicon). Others where the UHC may have a slight advantage (combo of OIII and H-beta) are not noticeably different in the two filters. And objects only seen in the UHC (e.g., pure H-beta) are invisible under those skies anyway. So if I bring only one filter with me (my portable set up), I bring a good OIII. But maybe I am missing some objects.

George

rgm40
sage

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Western Kentucky
      #6129839 - 10/10/13 08:44 PM

I've owned many of the filters mentioned in this thread. For the price, I have been really, really impressed with the Orion Ultrablock. This being said, I just purchased it this year, and have not used it much yet due to time constraints. Many here have compared it to the Lumicon UHC. I had a UHC once, and sold it--mainly because I didn't really know how to fully utilize it to its fullest potential. And, at the time, I had a 8 inch scope whereas now I have a 10. Can't go wrong with the Ultrablock on the used market. I have seen them used advertised for 50-60 dollars. On the used market you could probably find an Ultrablock filter and Celestron/Baader OIII for the same price as you would pay for a new Lumicon of any type. Best of luck and enjoy.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Considering my 1st filter new [Re: TexasRed]
      #6130231 - 10/11/13 12:18 AM

Quote:

UHC

+1 - see it as a slightly more liberal OIII but stronger than a general light pollution filter. Dave covered the true origin of the UHC - there is only ONE UHC and any other company using it outside of Lumicon is merely piggybacking on its good name. I find it objectionable that a company like BAADER would stoop to that. Oh well.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (10/11/13 12:20 AM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6130255 - 10/11/13 12:39 AM

Usually folks recommend a UHC like the Orion Ultrablock. Personally, however, if I could have just one filter, it'd be an O-III. While the "target count" favors the UHC filter, the gains provided by an O-III on O-III favorable targets are significantly more dramatic.

I have a bunch of O-III filters. On-paper bandpass differences aside, I think the Celestron branded O-III (same as the Baader; made for Celestron by Baader's supplier) is often the best deal though not the most optimal in terms of peak throughput for both O-III lines.

Regards,

Jim

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 842

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics