Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Re: Secondary spider designs? new [Re: Starman1]
      #6107696 - 09/29/13 03:02 PM

Quote:

I would like to experiment with the )(-shaped spider like on the 12.5" Obsession. It's been rigid enough on the scopes I've seen with that design (some 8" and 10" scopes), and it seems fairly rigid when tightening collimation screws (perhaps a little better than the 4 straight vanes I'm used to). If anyone out there has a 12.5" Obsession, I'd like to know the thickness of the vanes.

I wonder if spiders that look like this OO (two complete rings) would work using spring steel strips. They would be under tension, and (I think) resistant to vane twisting*. Would the tension make the hoops stiffer?

*A limiting factor in using wide, thin vanes is that unless the vanes are perfectly parallel and perfectly aligned with the optical axis the profile is likely to be much larger than the vane thickness. A 1" wide, 0.01" thick vane will have its profile doubled by a tilt to the optical axis of just 0.57 degrees.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Secondary spider designs? [Re: careysub]
      #6108115 - 09/29/13 08:06 PM

The Edmund Astroscan and Bushnell Voyager, both 4.5" reflector ball scopes, have an optical window instead of spider vanes.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1781

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics