Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Chris Greene
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/04/05

Loc: Dark Sky, Idaho
Re: A Couple Questions new [Re: Michael Lomb]
      #6094241 - 09/21/13 11:08 PM

See, when I bought my Q, my thinking was that I was done with any larger scopes. I had my Pronto and an NP101 which I was using for wide field and deep sky stuff. I decided on the Q with the rationalization that it would be a good planetary scope because of the PowerGuide. I used it for that purpose a few times and had a devil of a time using for anything else.

A lucky bloke bought it from me for about $1200 less than I'd paid for it a few years earlier.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Erik Bakker
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
      #6097834 - 09/24/13 03:24 AM

Michael,
Have you considered a quality medium sized bino for your low power widefield observing?

A TV76 would be very close to a Q on many objects except the largest and lack tracking for high power work on a light alt-az mount..

For low power Deep Sky observing, my 18x70 binos get a lot of use. Not even my FS 102 matches them in low power performance. Observing comet PanStarrs clearly demonstrated that again recently.

Michael Lomb

Reged: 10/26/10

Loc: North Island New Zealand
Re: A Couple Questions new [Re: Erik Bakker]
      #6097876 - 09/24/13 05:34 AM

Thanks Erik for the suggestion. I had thought of that, a larger aperture binocular with increased magnification. I checked my exit pupil while I was in the office. I have a hand held plastic strip used to measure this. Despite my age, 61 years, I still have a 7+ mm exit pupil, so my eyes would support binoculars in the 70 mm aperture range.

Though getting off topic in a Questar forum, more about exit pupils and binoculars can be found here. Binoculars and Exit Pupils

They would be quite heavy and once you get into magnifications of 15 x there will be a lot of movement. I have not used binoculars in this magnification range before.

The 8 x 30 pair I have is very light, and I can steady them by resting my elbow on the edge of the Questar base that is on the wedge and on the surveyor’s tripod. On balance binoculars supplement the Questar better than another small telescope (but not as steady).

Edited by Michael Lomb (09/24/13 05:36 AM)

Erik Bakker
Post Laureate

#6098003 - 09/24/13 08:56 AM

Hi Michael,

My pupils still delate to >7mm too

For less than the weight of a TV76 on alt-az and tripod, you can mount an 18x70 bino very steady on a solid tripod and video head.

On deep sky, an 18x70 bino like my Nikons will leave any 70-80mm mono apo in the dust

And it would be a great compliment to your Q and likewise be very easy to carry around your observing ground. This bino is so brilliant and contrasty. With it's PanOptic sized AFOV, 2 eyed observing makes you feel like being IN the deep sky, rather than looking AT it!

Curt B
sage

Reged: 08/02/05

Loc: Regina, Canada
      #6099196 - 09/24/13 07:35 PM

Well, I did it. Just purchased a field model 3.5" Questar. It is just a couple years old. Cannot wait to get it and try it out!

Erik Bakker
Post Laureate

Re: A Couple Questions new [Re: Curt B]
      #6099743 - 09/25/13 03:42 AM

Quote:

Well, I did it. Just purchased a field model 3.5" Questar. It is just a couple years old. Cannot wait to get it and try it out!

Enjoy

Chris Greene
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/04/05

Loc: Dark Sky, Idaho
      #6103161 - 09/26/13 10:27 PM

Enjoy it, Curt! Wanna sell me your TV85?

Curt B
sage

Reged: 08/02/05

Loc: Regina, Canada
Re: A Couple Questions new [Re: Chris Greene]
      #6104872 - 09/27/13 08:12 PM

The TV 85 is a keeper. Nice try!

seeindoubles

Reged: 01/15/12

Loc: Pacific Northwest-Oregon
Re: A Couple Questions [Re: Curt B]
      #6108258 - 09/29/13 09:42 PM

I purchased a nice 3.5 Standard last December. Going from personal experience the first thing I would advise is to pick an easy daytime object and make sure your finder is seeing the same thing as the main optics. If it is, great. If not you will need to align your finder with the main optcs. I won't go into that since it should be covered in the owners instruction manual.

Speaking to how easy the finder is to use, and what can you see, I would say the other posts about seeing down to around magnitude 8 are about right. At lowest magnification, a constellation like Hercules will fill the field of view or spill out of it. You will appreciate a good star chart, and it really helps to have a good working knowledge of what objects are in each constellation and where. Having said all this ,I found it easy to use the finder, even under my light polluted suburban skies in Beaverton, Oregon. One evening late last Spring, I was able to go out and view 13 Messier objects with the Q sitting on a wine barrel on my deck. It was polar aligned but I only used the finder and my memory of where the objects were. After a little practice it was pretty easy. The best part was using the manual slow motion controls was intuitive enough that it really did feel like I was dialing my way around the sky.

If you are trying to find dimmer objects directly, the finder is not going to work for that. However, once you are polar aligned and find a couple broght stars, you can set the RA setting circle and then locate anything within the scopes capability with relative ease.

Clear Skies!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2222

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics