Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: Best all-around sky atlas new [Re: Bert542001]
      #6119099 - 10/05/13 02:03 PM

Always loved:

1.) Sky Atlas 2000.0 Deluxe Laminated
2.) Pocket Sky Atlas
3.) Deep Sky Reiseatlas 3rd edition from Oculum-Verlag, Germany

Well, I use these now rarely since I purchased the brand new published and very practice-oriented Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas in the water resistant Premium Version, as presented and discussed here on CN in this thread. My definitive favourite sky atlas at the telescope.

Stephan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
opticsguy
sage

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Washington State
Re: Best all-around sky atlas new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #6120354 - 10/06/13 10:36 AM

The interstellum atlas web site is German only and I could not find any examples of the charts. Are these usable for english readers?

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: Best all-around sky atlas new [Re: opticsguy]
      #6120383 - 10/06/13 10:51 AM

Quote:

The interstellum atlas web site is German only and I could not find any examples of the charts. Are these usable for english readers?

Please check the OP of this thread and click on "Sample Pages" to see four maps in high resolution.

The Atlas is fully usable for international users too. The explaining text and the Legend is in German only, but you will require just a few minutes to fully understand the simple and clever concept and the map symbols.

Stephan

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Best all-around sky atlas new [Re: blb]
      #6121478 - 10/06/13 11:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In increasing size and level of detail I suggest:
  • Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas (pages aren't plastic coated but it handles the dew where I live OK)
  • One of the laminated versions of Sky Atlas 2000.0
  • Herald-Bobroff AstroAtlas (very difficult to find these days)
  • Uranometria 2000.0 Deep Sky Atlas (no plastic coated pages or ring binding though)
If you own a tablet something like SkySafari is another option too.

+1

Just want to add that Uranometria otherwise stands up to the dew quite well, as does the OOP and hard to find Millennium Star Atlas.

Another +1
I have all four of these, including the out-of-print Herald-Bobroff AstroAtlas. The most used atlas by far is the Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas. It shows me all the stars I can see in town with my binoculars. The next most often used atlas is the Uranometria 2000.0, second edition. This one is the best for star hoping from dark sky sites. I do love the Herald-Bobroff AstroAtlas but do not really like the symbols used for the objects. They are trying to convey to much information with the symbol. Personaly I do not care for the electronic medium and think it hurts your night vision. I also have three different versions of Sky Atlas 2000.0, from the field version to the delux desk version. They are just to large and hard to deal with in the dark, in my opinion.

+1 Don't have HR, but have the rest. I mostly use telrad finder charts for finding objects, and have commited several terlrad images to memory. But for freelance finding I like pocket sky atlas for binos when seated (fits easily on lap). For dob use, I like sky altlas 2000 and Uranametria's blown up appendix charts (and I did laminate these for field use!).

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Best all-around sky atlas new [Re: faackanders2]
      #6157958 - 10/25/13 06:05 PM

Now that Uranometria is available in one volume, I find I am using this in the field a lot more than I did. It is a pretty good match with a 10-15" scope (though more objects than its 31,000 are visible in a 12" in pristine skies).
For smaller telescope users, it is hard to beat Taki's mag.8.5 atlas:
http://www.geocities.jp/toshimi_taki/atlas_85/atlas_85.htm
Easily printed and inserted in clear acetate sleeves for a 3-ring binder, it's more complete than Sky Atlas 2000.0 and a little larger scale.
For a computer atlas, it's hard to beat Megastar (Willmann-Bell) and you can always print pages of crowded areas for use in the field (and at any scale, too).

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Best all-around sky atlas new [Re: Starman1]
      #6158420 - 10/25/13 11:16 PM

Don, et al;

When I was star hopping I used the first printing of Uranometria extensively, but I recently sold it because the Sky Commander Digital setting circles took over.

I use the Bright Star Atlas and occaisonally Sky Atlas 2000 when I am doing binocular observing.

For electronic charts I use Sky Map Pro and make printouts as you mentioned. I like that because I can choose the magnitude depth and size of the display. Then I can take notes on that sheet of paper and then type them into the computer.

I have not had any reason to take on a different system.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1593

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics