Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: Astrodj]
      #6131340 - 10/11/13 03:03 PM

Thanks Asrodj,

Yes Pete saw your ‘E-type’ and let it go then it seemed to escalate after that…………..!! It rates a close second on my irritation-scale to being called a stargazer – sorry ! Perhaps we should have thought more when we called our sons Stuart & Alan (double-whammy) – and Alan in naming his, now 6 yr. old, son Korey Ayeden……… (several whammies)!

The Test: did it again and tried to put myself in observing-mode and got 3. Then I booted up my (old) workhorse PC – the one finely calibrated for my colour work. Also in a darkened room (mood-light on and some Mozart); and again in observing-mode got it down to zero first try. The newer PC has dumbed-down display setting facilities and I like it not.

The test I feel has limited application at the eyepiece: can’t slide the hues against each other there! But more in common with how I tweak colour-adjustable vectors against each other for relative hues/contrasts etc. – in connection with tinting my drawings.

At first I really could not get enthused trying this test; but now I find it a little therapeutic/compelling! Perhaps it should have a time limit option.

Doing family tree research yrs. back WWI records showed 1023 Grays killed and less than 60 Greys – not sure what that is telling me……………!

Even the spell-checker is taking issue with the ”a” – BAH!

Pardon the digressions.

All good wishes,
David.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: Astrodj]
      #6131634 - 10/11/13 05:37 PM

Yes the red zone (I'm in orangey-red) does mute the colors I find. It doesn't seem like that ought to be the case but there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that I see more color in yellow and certainly green zones. The light pollution tends to mute the finer hues . I don't see this happening in other Jupiter, Mars or Saturn but clearly with the two outter gas giants.

Glad you got the 100% on the test. Next time in at a mouse ill finally go all the way with it - disgust and all.

Also glad-

You had a terrific time with your platform. I made one myself. Once I get the drive rods machined it'll go for a spin. Even if I goofed the radi or something and I ended up with a twenty minute track time - I'd be ESTATIC. I like a lot of medium to high power work when conditions permit and it'd be such a relief to finally not need to nudge. Of my three scopes only my C6 is driven. The 70mm can eek by as mags are usually low anyway but the 8" needs a drive already.

I'm pleased you found satusfaction here!

Pete

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6149218 - 10/21/13 01:38 AM

I saw Uranus for the first time using my C6. Seeing was 6-7/10 and transparency was moderate with intermittent slight haze. Best view was at 320x . I think for both my 8" and the C6 - you really want to be in the 300's to get a fair sense of surface area through scale. Color surprisingly was made out - a certain grey grey blue. It looked identical to the 8" views Ive had in the past though slightly dimmer as though a light neutral density filter was in use. Very pleasing view. Clearly non stellar at 61x. High power view was definately akin to a super high surface brightness planetary nebula. However the planet was bright enough in the 6" at this high magnification to show glare off the planets limb.

Very pleasing. Nice to track with the Celestron after nudging so much with my dob in the past.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (10/21/13 01:44 AM)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #6149308 - 10/21/13 05:58 AM

Man, I was gonna look for Uranus last night, Pete, but the moon made star hopping pretty tough. I usually start with the circlet in Pisces and work back. That was very tough since NELM was about 4. Good on ya for doing it.

E_Look
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: near New York
Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6149707 - 10/21/13 11:44 AM

Aw, after trying to locate Neptune unsuccessfully with the Moon out last night, I gave up also on Uranus, given the time I spent trying to find Neptune. (I went to Jupiter a little later.)

I have found that for Neptune and Uranus, on nights when the Moon is more than a crescent, forget about it!

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: E_Look]
      #6149794 - 10/21/13 12:24 PM

Star hopping is what I do with the 8" and it can make things dicey. If there's haze the 8x50 finder with a full moon can truly be patience wearing. I've given UO more than once due to that kind of interference.

Its interesting though guys between these two scopes 300x and above is the optimum magnification . That said I believe even a 4.5" Tak apo (which according to Carlino shows more contrast than the C6) is not going to produce as good an image as the Celestron . These outter gas giants put conditions on observing that leaves small aperture high performance apo in the lurch - comparatively . In truth I can't say with certainty- I haven't done an A- B comparo with an apo on these . Still it'd seem 6" aperture is really a minimum where enough scale and brightness is comfortably achievable without feeling starved out.

Ed - I'm looking forward to your finally getting tremendous Neptune views again!!

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (10/21/13 12:29 PM)

Ant78

Reged: 09/23/11

#6149924 - 10/21/13 01:52 PM

I observed Uranus for the first time last night through my small scope, yellowish green with a slight limb shading.
My original plan was to locate Neptune but after a while I gave up and looked for Uranus, used Diphda as a guide star and worked north from there, the Ram constellation stars Hamal and Sheratan also helped point me to Uranus. Could not resolve any moons as they are beyond my scopes limiting magnitude but reading everyone's reports of its moons is great reading.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: Ant78]
      #6150966 - 10/22/13 01:20 AM

Another nice view of first Neptune then Uranus. Uranus appeared sharper and with better limb definition owing to its greater altitude in the sky. I wasn't sure completely that I had Neptune at 61x but the queer color gave it away and 226x confirmed it was the right *star*. Both were best at around 216 x due to seeing. Uranus was a far sharper orb however and tended to just lay there with it the fuzzings Neptune had.
Some of the best views so far of these with the C6.

No moons though however Triton had a field star masquerading as Triton.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (10/22/13 09:25 AM)

E_Look
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: near New York
      #6152775 - 10/23/13 12:18 AM

Quote:

... No moons though however Triton had a field star masquerading as Triton.

Pete

Yeah, LOL... bin dere dun dat!

oleg oleg

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Russia
Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: E_Look]
      #6157508 - 10/25/13 01:46 PM

Gentlemen, please explain reasonably, why is it that photographers can not get a good picture of Uranus (and Neptune) in the visible range?    On other planets (Mars, Jupiter, Saturn), they have achieved impressive results.  This raises the question, not fiction if those belts and clouds, which observers say?

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: oleg oleg]
      #6157538 - 10/25/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

Gentlemen, please explain reasonably, why is it that photographers can not get a good picture of Uranus (and Neptune) in the visible range?

One tenth the size of Mars / Jupiter / Saturn, and lower contrast too.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6158515 - 10/26/13 12:43 AM

The two outter gas giants ask a lot of imagers even with the instruments being better than ever before. First they are dim and as a result you can't have the same frames per second that Jupiter or Venus requires. That right there makes errors in seeing more problematic than the brighter objects in our soaker system. Next is the exceeding small apparent sizes of these two - 3.5" and 2.7" for Uranus and Neptune - makes for a very seeing sensitive object. The same seeing that might soften a good Jupiter image - but still look fine, can smear an image of either of these terribly.
Their dimness coupled with the feeble light over vast distances makes it all a very condition sensitive affair.

Still these guys produce some very fine work.

Pete

oleg oleg

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Russia
      #6158589 - 10/26/13 02:53 AM

There have been similar problems early 20th century, when photographers could not compete with the visual observations. With bright and large planets Mars, Jupiter, Saturn CCD techniques the problem to solved, but Uranus and Neptune are outside of the method?   They are too small and too dim, I understand you correctly?      However, 0.6-1 meter telescopes also give a fairly weak results in photographing Uranus. Their luminosity and the area is also not enough to satiate the photocell light?

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Nice views of Uranus and Neptune (Finally) new [Re: oleg oleg]
      #6158763 - 10/26/13 08:53 AM

Again its a very small surface area for the size of the detector used and its often swamped by the seeing conditions that normally aren't all that bad for other scopes. Of course a 1 meter scope is going to resolve more seeing disturbance than an 8". This isn't to say the one meter isn't going to provide exquisite images - just that it is more conditional in terms if what's needed to make it happen . The scope at pic du Midi bypasses a lot if the awful *common seeing* by having a terrific site location.

I will say the best images Ive ever seen of Uranus came from Keck which resolved a chain of festoons across its equator - infra red light of course and adaptive optics.

Pete

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2650

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics