Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Ebbisham

Reged: 10/02/10

Loc: Surrey, Uk
Re: still looking for a good 8x42 allrounder new [Re: Chris Greene]
      #6119407 - 10/05/13 06:00 PM

I received the Minox Hg yesterday and as clouds are parting tonight had a chance to quickly test them.

The binos arrived in a small box, already in the case and the raingards fitted, together with a certificate from the person checking it. It might not say much but certainly gives a more personal feeling.
The Trinovid and Conquest HD had more impressive boxes, but then you buy the binos to use them and not to look at the box.

As you can see from the manufactors website, the HG have a nice minimalistic design. The rubber coating has a similar feel to the one from the Conquest HD i tested and is perfectly fitted (the Conquest showed some tiny gaps)

The focuser has a nice stiff feel to it without any play.

Stars snapped into focus and stayed sharp up to 80 % of the fov. Overall the image felt just right with the sweet spot being big enough that i had to look for aberations.
Rectengular distortions seem minimal.
I could fit the doube double and Vega into view with all stars being sharp, M13 could only be guessed with avert vision.
The image seems somewhat dim but it could well be the seing conditions.
I will test the Minox over the next days but the fisrt impression is quite possitive

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Shneor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Northern California
Re: still looking for a good 8x42 allrounder new [Re: Chris Greene]
      #6121549 - 10/06/13 11:52 PM

I'm delighted with my Zhumell 8x42 ED phase-coated binos. They are compact and light, have an 8° field, with a bright, crisp image. I use them when I take breaks from my 22", they are great for scanning the Milky Way and viewing brighter nebulae, globular and open star clusters, and galaxies. They are also excellent daytime binos. But I'm lucky, as there have been some reports of defective pairs from others who ordered these. Still, if you order from a reputable vendor, there should be no problem with repair or replacement as they have a warranty good for many years.

Sgt
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/17/05

Loc: Under the southern horn of the...
Re: still looking for a good 8x42 allrounder new [Re: Ebbisham]
      #6121820 - 10/07/13 07:51 AM

Hi Andre,

I notice you said your local optical shop was not well stocked but are you aware of Kay Optical in Morden, near the tube station? They have lots of binoculars and shouldn't be that far from you? I was just there weekend before last.

Quote:

I am still looking for a good 8x42 all round binocular with emphasis on stargazing. I am not a birder but like to take my Bino's with me on walks so light weight is certainly a plus.
Unfortunately my nearest shop is not well stocked so I try to decide on a short list and will then order online.
After I had trouble getting on with Leica Trinovid (I felt sea sick and someone suggested it might have collimating issues) I got a Opticron WP HR 8x42.
The positive reports I read are certainly true. After comparing it to my Leica over serveral days and nights I could not see a difference between them in the middle of the fov. If anything I found the opticron ever so slightly brighter on M31.
Now I could be happy with the Opticron but feel that only the middle 50% are sharp,leaving me to look for another bino with the same resolution and brightness but a bigger area with pin point stars.
My budget is up to 800£ and I had a look at the following models but could not single out a clear winner for me

Vortex Viper HD - 430£ (people seem to love them but some place them considerable below the new Zeiss conquest plus it seems to have a moderate sweet spot)
Meopta Meostar 8x42 - 590£ (seems like a good bino with wide views but slightly heavier)
Minox HG 8x42 - 600£ (difficult to find a consensus, some love it and some place it below similar priced offerings)
Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 - 680£ (had some problems with black outs in the beginning but liked the views. Can't remember how big the area with pin pout stars wars. Not so keen about the rubber coating)

Kowa Genisis 8.5x44 and Nikon HG L 8x42 heavy and slightly above budget

Nikon SE 10x42 -670£ (probably best choice but despite the low weigh I doubt that I can hold it steady. One reason to sell my old Dekarem 10x50 were the shaky views)

I would gratefully about comments about the listed models and other suggestions. I must admit I have a slight preference for supposedly Japanese or German made Bino's.

Ebbisham

Reged: 10/02/10

Loc: Surrey, Uk
Re: still looking for a good 8x42 allrounder new [Re: Sgt]
      #6121982 - 10/07/13 09:40 AM

Thanks for the tip, morden is not to far from me. I did a search but couldn't find any local shop. I've been on their website before but didn't realize they sit in morden.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greyhaven, Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2006

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics