Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1
mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Can This Mount Be Saved? new
      #6108245 - 09/29/13 09:35 PM

My neighbor recently got her Father's old Monolux 4380 telescope kit which, according to her, he had inherited from his Father. The kit contains a 60mm, f/15 achromat with an Eq. mount and tripod with wooden legs, along with .965" eyepieces, projection screen and bracket, and erecting prism, all packed in the typical wooden case. Apparently, it was complete, and working fine... until her teenaged son got hold of it. He tried forcing something on the mount, to rotate it, and ended up snapping the lower casting completely off of the bottom plate that screws onto the tripod. This plate also provides the mount's Az adjustment.

Anyway, it was a clean break, but appears to be made of either cast aluminum, or pot metal. Either way, it probably can't be welded, so either the broken part has to be replaced, or the entire mount replaced. Needless to say, she was pretty frustrated by it all, and was ready to just chuck the whole thing at that point!

So, can her Dad's mount be saved, or replaced? Does anyone deal in Monolux parts? Any help would be greatly appreciated, if only to restore a legacy handed down to her Dad by her Grandfather, and then to her by her Dad.

Edited by mayidunk (09/30/13 04:30 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Can This Mount Be Saved? new [Re: mayidunk]
      #6108264 - 09/29/13 09:43 PM

That is a very nice scope. Hopefully, someone has some spares. I have one and it would take a good deal of force to break the mount in that way.. Just saying.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
      #6108269 - 09/29/13 09:45 PM

Depending upon where the break is located, it may be salvageable; I've repaired such failures in cast aluminum by using steel pins going into both sides of the break and JB-Weld epoxy. However, there can be a great many variables, and success isn't always assured.

Fred

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Re: Can This Mount Be Saved? new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #6108280 - 09/29/13 09:53 PM

Well, one thing I might be able to do would be to fabricate another bottom plate, and then attempt to attach the skirt to it. It really is a clean break, failing right around the periphery where the skirt meets the bottom plate! I could easily clean/flatten it with a file, and then figure a way to pin it for mechanical strength, and use J.B. Weld to fill in the gap around the edge. However, if anyone knows where this part can be had, it appears it can be easily replaced.

CharlieB
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/11/07

Loc: Southern NH
      #6108317 - 09/29/13 10:15 PM

Could you post a photo of the broken section of the mount? That would help us find the parts you need.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Re: Can This Mount Be Saved? [Re: CharlieB]
      #6108676 - 09/30/13 04:32 AM

I'll try to post some photos later on, tonight.

Thanks!

sgorton99
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Wisconsin, Madison
      #6108747 - 09/30/13 07:09 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

I was fortunate to have a friend who has a friend who works at a bicycle manufacturer nearby. He "pin welded" this for me.

Steve

sgorton99
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Wisconsin, Madison
Re: Can This Mount Be Saved? new [Re: sgorton99]
      #6108749 - 09/30/13 07:09 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Fixed.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #6108845 - 09/30/13 08:49 AM

Hard to tell what you are talking about without a photo.

But it sounds like this, available from Sheldon Faworski. Make sure the dimensions match.

Nothing is ever broken... it is just waiting to be fixed. The broken part can be brazed, welded, JB-Welded, sanded and painted. Or replaced.

I'm guessing it is a Towa mount, which appear regularly for sale "as parts". I've restored several Towa mounts using parts from a "as parts" deal.

Good luck.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Re: Can This Mount Be Saved? new [Re: hottr6]
      #6111236 - 10/01/13 01:37 PM

Thanks for providing that, however that's not the part I need. The part needed is the part on the mount head itself that provides its basic latitude elevation adjustment, and azimuth adjustment, along with the actual interface to the tripod itself.

Unfortunately, while I have the photos ready to go, apparently the software I need to resize them for upload is missing from my computer! I'll need to figure out how this happened, and will try to get the photos up soon.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone who has posted so far. I'll try to get the photos up soon, and your patience with me in this is greatly appreciated!

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 428

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics