Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere
You ever have one of those days! new
      #6107969 - 09/29/13 06:13 PM

when cleaning a mirror diagonal just isn't going as planned, I have the supplied ES diagonal and noticed some eyelash on the mirror, so what did I do but blow into the diagonal and we all know what happens after that. I got a Q-tip frizzled out some fibers to catch the lash and polish off the spittle and ended up smearing the mirror anyway, hence the *Proverbial Snowball* effect. No chemical seemed to work, not alcohol, not acetone, they enhanced the smear even more and I wasn't happy with half the mirror being smeared so I proceeded to fix the other side as well. So what did I do, well I gave it a bath under the sink with good blast of water for a few min. then washed it off with distilled water and did this process several times letting it dry in front of the fan and it ended up perfect, so no more scrubbing on mirrors with chemicals for hrs trying to get it right, I'm leaving the hard work for the sink.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hamdul
sage

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
Re: You ever have one of those days! new [Re: T1R2]
      #6108136 - 09/29/13 08:17 PM

The Astronomy gods must have been watching over you. Years ago I had a 35mm single lens reflex camera, Can't remember the make but it was one of the earlier models. Well one day I removed the lens and low and behold there was some dirt on the mirror. I got a Q tip and some alchohol poste haste. Dipped the Q tip in the alchohol and very gently started rubbing the face of the mirror. MY effort not only removed the dirt spot but did a great job on removing the silver from the mirror.

Moral of the story, Before cleaning any exspensive optical surface INVESTIGATE

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
Re: You ever have one of those days! new [Re: hamdul]
      #6108220 - 09/29/13 09:15 PM

Wait till you get my age , Every day is one of those days , But I'm glad it worked out , Or as the old saying goes , Don't worry It will all came out in the wash .

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: You ever have one of those days! new [Re: T1R2]
      #6108589 - 09/30/13 01:54 AM

I am glad it worked out for you. When I clean a diagonal, I remove the mirror and clean it in the sink.. they are small and easily cleaned. A lot easier than cleaning the mirror on a Newtonian.

Jon

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere
Re: You ever have one of those days! [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6108703 - 09/30/13 06:06 AM

Yep that's my plan from now on, no more touching it in any way unless it absolutely requires it, my Astro-Tech quartz back comes directly off and is easy to clean, with the ES just the nose piece and sides come off, not allowing you to get in there good and work with it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 369

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics