Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
simagic

Reged: 09/01/13

SkySafari
      #6109421 - 09/30/13 03:05 PM

Just downloaded SkySafari (the basic app) to my phone and there are many things to read."introduction" "basic concepts" and much much more just to figure how to use it. I'm a newbee/novice. I haven't looked at it yet as I've been busy on this site spending tons of time getting lots of good info on eyepieces, magnifications, exit pupil and etc. (which by the way, I've learned quite a bit so far thanks to everyone's help with these subjects). I also have the book "Turn left at Orion". My question is (before I start searching around SkySafari and "possibly getting frustrated due to my novice-ness (my word). Is this app good for us 'newbee's or is it more for the more knowledgeable. ??

Edited by simagic (09/30/13 03:09 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: SkySafari new [Re: simagic]
      #6109470 - 09/30/13 03:32 PM

I recently downloaded SkySafari for my Android tablet. In my opinion, it is excellent for both beginners and astronomy old timers. I found it very easy to learn. Once you learn our way around the program some, you will grow into it. Repost in two weeks. If you will work with the program some each day during that time, my bet is that you will be up to speed and often using the software.

rico10

Reged: 08/29/12

Loc: Northern Canada
Re: SkySafari new [Re: GeneT]
      #6109794 - 09/30/13 06:41 PM

It couldn't have been a better choice. I have the Pro Version for the Ipad and am very happy with it, I Use it all the time. Allow the Constellations to show, start to learn a few and whats around them. Best thing you could do for yourself.

OMA

Reged: 09/11/13

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Re: SkySafari new [Re: rico10]
      #6109896 - 09/30/13 07:56 PM

Since the view from my backyard is limited by trees it's nice to use to just look at what I might find in that one area available.

Also nice to be able to advance the time in several different increments. I can get home late and look at what might be 'up' in the next few hours.

One thing I did notice is that everything is not there in the cheap version. I was looking at the Heart Nebula on stellarium on the PC, wasn't marked on the cheap version. So I upgraded.

Northern Viewer

Reged: 08/11/13

Loc: Alberta
Re: SkySafari new [Re: OMA]
      #6109902 - 09/30/13 07:59 PM

I have SS plus and I am a huge fan. I recommend it to everyone. The best feature is that you can run it alongside your eyepiece and manipulate it to match what you are seeing. This makes star hopping a lot easier. Now if they would just make an app to get rid of clouds...

Lancem

Reged: 03/17/11

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: SkySafari new [Re: Northern Viewer]
      #6110007 - 09/30/13 08:50 PM

I couldn't agree more Northern Viewer. When looking for faint DSOs it is invaluable to be able to compare the view in your eyepiece with that on the screen. It helps you to know the relative size of the object and to pinpoint its position relative to other stars in the fov. But SkySafari does so much more. I control my scope with it via SkyWire to my iPad. And I really enjoy creating custom observing lists and logging my observations on SkySafari while observing. This is an app that will grow with you as you become more experienced.

OMA

Re: SkySafari new [Re: Northern Viewer]
      #6110397 - 10/01/13 12:10 AM

Quote:

I have SS plus and I am a huge fan. I recommend it to everyone. The best feature is that you can run it alongside your eyepiece and manipulate it to match what you are seeing. This makes star hopping a lot easier. Now if they would just make an app to get rid of clouds...

To do this, are you just zooming in at what you're looking at until the FOV in the app is the same FOV you see through the EP? Or is there some built in functionality for this?

MarcusE

Reged: 02/06/11

Loc: Iowa
      #6110439 - 10/01/13 12:53 AM

Sky Safari AND Turn Left at Orion two of my favorites.

I have SS+ and use it almost everyday - even if it's cloudy. It may be worth upgrading already. I know, I know.... But with a telescope, the larger database and additional functionality are amazing.

So to answer your question, tap the top right corner for a pop up window with degrees listed. You can use this to quickly zoom to the FOV you want...down to 1*. I can't recall if basic has that function. You can also set Telrad rings to various sizes.

I hope this helps.

Marcus

OMA

Re: SkySafari new [Re: MarcusE]
      #6110524 - 10/01/13 02:40 AM

^ Ahhh, now I see.

I haven't had the app very long...

Thanks!

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #6110637 - 10/01/13 06:36 AM

If you are considering more than just the basic version be advised that SS4 is due out in 3-4 months (best guess. I do not know what the purchase price may be if you already have an older version but it might be worth waiting. I have the pro version running on a Galaxy not 8 connected via Bluetooth to my scope. I love its functionality.

OMA

Re: SkySafari new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6111527 - 10/01/13 04:26 PM

I have the Pro. I take it that upgrades are not free?

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

#6111538 - 10/01/13 04:37 PM

Not sure if it is free if you already have it. I guess we will have to wait and see.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
      #6111729 - 10/01/13 06:51 PM

I know there are no special prices to go from one version to the other. I don't know if existing users will get upgrade pricing. They have a FAQ on their website showing previous version upgrades did not get any special pricing unfortunately.

I've been considering going to the pro version from the plus myself so I'll hang tight to see as well. The plus version has most of everything I'd ever want (been using a bit less than a year,but a lot) ,but I just find that with the 16" scope I'm sometimes wishing it showed fainter stars on some objects.

Edited by lamplight (10/01/13 07:33 PM)

audioaficionado
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
      #6111854 - 10/01/13 07:49 PM

I got the low cost android version on my GPS enabled device. Unfortunately the gps function wouldn't work unless there was an internet connection as per SS. I manually input the local GPS coordinates to no avail. It just swirled around randomly no matter what compass direction you were facing. This swirling issue also happens in my front yard where my wireless internet signal works on the device. I was at the Brothers Oregon star party in the middle of nowhere. I don't know if the issue is with the version of SS or just the SS GPS function in general.

In retrospect, I should have just disabled the SS GPS function and manually moved the screen to the area of interest. It's not like I didn't know which direction I was looking at. I got so POed that I just turned off the android device and chucked it back in the car to be ignored the rest of the trip.

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #6112301 - 10/02/13 12:16 AM

Quote:

We have had free upgrades for the past 2 years. With SkySafari 4 you will have to repurchase the app. It is likely we will have a sale the first couple of weeks to help people upgrade.

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: SkySafari new [Re: btschumy]
      #6112307 - 10/02/13 12:19 AM

Steve,

This is the Compass feature you are talking about, not the GPS. It sounds like the compass on your device is either not working or is incompatible with SkySafari. You might Google "Android calibrate compass" and follow the instructions you find.

If you can't get it to work, in the Coordinates settings you can turn off the automatic enabling of the compass when it is tilted up to the sky.

audioaficionado
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
      #6112339 - 10/02/13 12:56 AM

I'll play around with it again and see what I can accomplish.

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

#6112540 - 10/02/13 07:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

We have had free upgrades for the past 2 years. With SkySafari 4 you will have to repurchase the app. It is likely we will have a sale the first couple of weeks to help people upgrade.

Bill,

A sale would certainly help out, I just purchased SS pro a couple of months ago. It would be difficult for me to justify purchasing it all over again this early in the game.

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

#6131560 - 10/11/13 04:52 PM

Bill,

I was under the impression that all of these nice new features being released soon will be available on an android platform also. Is this not true?

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
      #6131579 - 10/11/13 05:00 PM

oh very good news. i might upgrade to pro when its out.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1380

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics