Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
Theoid

Reged: 08/13/13

Outfitting a Lunt Engineering 102mm ED Doublet new
      #6107530 - 09/29/13 01:30 PM

Hello again,

As you can see my quest for telescopes continues, and i decided i will but an APO to accompany a Dobsonain, for travel purposes. I did this scope alot, and i have no clue how to accessorize the thing. I was thinking a Vixen Porta II, and a WO diagonal, but how do i tell what size of Diagonal to get, how do i mount a spotting scope, and what size spotting scope would be good for the main unit. These are questions i have and i know you all have answers. Thank you so much for your time again and again.
Theo

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: Outfitting a Lunt Engineering 102mm ED Doublet new [Re: Theoid]
      #6107579 - 09/29/13 01:58 PM

Porta II great choice. If the Lunt has a 2" focuser (which I suspect it does) then you'll want a 2" diagonal. This is a great buy:

http://agenaastro.com/william-optics-2-carbon-fiber-dielectric-star-mirror-di...

Finder scope is a personal choice. 50mm would be a good size, straight or RACI, depending on what you like.

Eric63
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: Outfitting a Lunt Engineering 102mm ED Doublet new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #6107808 - 09/29/13 04:27 PM

I don't think that scope comes with a finder base. Perhaps a Rigel quick finder with a stick on base would be a good option. Or maybe a Telrad, but it's a bit bulky for this scope.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Outfitting a Lunt Engineering 102mm ED Doublet new [Re: Eric63]
      #6108214 - 09/29/13 09:11 PM

I use a Rigel and a raci on my refractor. On the optcorp site they show this scope with clamshell rings like mine has. which has screws that you can use to mount a finder. I've done that with mine and it works pretty well (mounted the raci directly to the rings). That may or may not work for you.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: Outfitting a Lunt Engineering 102mm ED Doublet new [Re: lamplight]
      #6108229 - 09/29/13 09:22 PM

BTW, if the scope doesn't come with a finder mount bracket, the focuser is usually drilled and tapped for one. Ask your vendor about it, he should be able to steer you to the right bracket. If you're planning to use the scope in daylight, a Rigel or Telrad won't do you any good. So you might want both, as lamplight suggested. However, a RACI mounted on the clamshell might be too far forward? Dunno, just asking.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Outfitting a Lunt Engineering 102mm ED Doublet new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #6108254 - 09/29/13 09:39 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Yea the finder EP is a few inches forward compared to the EP. It's all a work in progress for me. (Always changing everything) .. My scope had one finder base which I use for the Rigel so this worked sans drilling or sticking anything to my baby. I have the same finder and mounted same way as this pic, except that I have the finder on the side of the scope not the top (Rigel being on top)

Edited by lamplight (09/29/13 09:41 PM)

Theoid

#6108455 - 09/29/13 11:49 PM

is this a lunt that this finder is mounted on?

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6108548 - 09/30/13 01:13 AM

Quote:

Hello again,

As you can see my quest for telescopes continues, and i decided i will but an APO to accompany a Dobsonain, for travel purposes. I did this scope alot, and i have no clue how to accessorize the thing. I was thinking a Vixen Porta II, and a WO diagonal, but how do i tell what size of Diagonal to get, how do i mount a spotting scope, and what size spotting scope would be good for the main unit. These are questions i have and i know you all have answers. Thank you so much for your time again and again.
Theo

Theo:

I had the Astro-Tech 102ED, essentially the same scope..

- The Portamount is a good choice, mine is pretty beat up from all the use, all the trips in the back of the truck.. I like the slo-motion controls, I like the comfortable viewing position.

- A 2 inch diagonal is very useful, it lets you maximize the true field of view.. With a 2 inch widefield eyepiece, the scope is it's own finder..

- For a finder on scope like this, I like just a simple red dot finder. A Telrad or Rigel would make it slightly easier but the scope itself is capable of such a wide field of view that a reticule type finder is not really needed.

Jon

Theoid

Re: Outfitting a Lunt Engineering 102mm ED Doublet new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6108593 - 09/30/13 02:02 AM

Wow that is a really good point, i don't use a spotting scope on my Dob, so why would i use one on a refractor!! Talrad is a bit big i think the rigel will work just fine. Thanks again for all the hlep on this one, it feels good to be learning and so close to buying this scope, i get paid this week, and i can hardly wait!!

Theoid

#6108611 - 09/30/13 02:30 AM

What about eye pieces, i have a 50mm super wide, and that is all so far. I would like to have every EP usable down to the smallest. I will most likely spend 300-500 on eyepieces.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
      #6108632 - 09/30/13 03:14 AM

You'd mentioned in your other thread that you were looking for a setup was going to be carry-on train portable, is that still the case? imo you'd have to be careful, it all adds up quickly; the trickiest problem would be finding a suitable mount that would fit your travel needs.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Outfitting a Lunt Engineering 102mm ED Doublet new [Re: core]
      #6108854 - 09/30/13 08:57 AM

If you're traveling you don't need the finder I guess. Myself I love having a nice finder it's two views of the same object, less EP swapping. Lately with my big dob I haven't been using the Telrad just sighting down my finder for initial orientation and it's working quite well so far. Harder to do on a small dob though.

I just noticed there was a lightweight aluminum tripod by dewalt (power tools company?) in the classifieds here and it's the exact same tripod as sold by stellarvue that I bought for a lot more $ SV does add their own appleply EP holder/stabalizer.. Hmmm

Astro tech paradigm dual ed Eyepieces are nice for the low cost money.. So are others.. Be best to look through some brands to see what you like.

dennilfloss
sage

Reged: 01/06/13

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
      #6109199 - 09/30/13 12:26 PM

Very happy with my AZ4 mount. As for finders, I use a 36mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric eyepiece instead. That gives me 3.5 degrees tfv with the Lunt and that is enough.

Theoid

Re: Outfitting a Lunt Engineering 102mm ED Doublet [Re: core]
      #6109426 - 09/30/13 03:07 PM

I carry all my banjos, and large objects on trains and they dont get banged up or out of tune, what would be the worry?

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 289

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics