Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Space Rocks

Pages: 1
BYoesle
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA
Meteorite re-etching? new
      #6109295 - 09/30/13 01:36 PM

I have a piece of jewelry containing a 25 mm x 1.5 mm round piece of nickle-iron meteorite which needed repair, and the main piece had also become significantly rusted. I took the piece to be repaired to a professional jeweler and had him polish off the “rust” with jewelers diamond powder, but this seems to have also removed the nice crystalline pattern (I know ), leaving only a nice smooth and shinny surface.

Do I have to use a different polishing compound, or do I just need to re-etch the meteorite, and what is the best method to accomplish this?

Is there any way to prevent rusting in the future?

Thanks for your help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lee14

Reged: 12/19/09

Re: Meteorite re-etching? new [Re: BYoesle]
      #6110043 - 09/30/13 09:10 PM

There's a discussion of etching techniques under the thread 'Best Etched Meteorites', a few topics down. The desireable surface condition prior to etching varies with types, but a fine matte appearance usually produces a good etch. I find that gun oil is the best inhibitor for rust, but this isn't really appropriate for jewelry. A good metal polish like 'Flitz' will help guard against corrosion, but excessive rubbing will diminish the etch. I'm not a big fan of protective coatings because they can seal in moisture, but that might be the best bet here. After etching, thoroughly dry the piece for an hour at 200 degrees, and then spray it with lacquer. 'Paleobond' has a good system for treating and coating specimens, but it might be a little too involved for one small piece. You can search online for their products.

Lee

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA
Re: Meteorite re-etching? [Re: lee14]
      #6110937 - 10/01/13 10:33 AM

Thank you so much for the information Lee!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 372

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics