Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
jfoley68

Reged: 03/30/12

alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope?
      #6114051 - 10/02/13 09:07 PM

Folks,

I have a 120 mm Orion EON apochromatic telescope. With a finder scope, red-dot finder, diagonal, eyepiece, etc., it weigh in about ~19-20 lbs.

What are some good alt-az mounts, with fine motion controls, to consider for this telescope?

I've tried the Explore Scientific Twilight I mount, but this telescope was too heavy for it to be stable. I've tried the Twilight II mount, but there are fine motion controls for it, and it's hard to track objects.

So, what do folks think? Any good alt-az mounts, with fine motion controls, for a 20 lbs telescope for under $500?

Thanks! Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gatorengineer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/28/05

Loc: Hellertown, PA
Re: alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope? new [Re: jfoley68]
      #6114129 - 10/02/13 09:39 PM

Thats easy.... None....

Triple that amount and you get into the Hitches, and T-Rexs... This is a market sadly underserved by low cost suppliers.... Unistars are decent but lack the fine motion controls... DM4s are also great but again no controls, and lots more.

Don Taylor
sage

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
      #6114267 - 10/02/13 10:55 PM

I have the Canadian telescopes duo-t head on a Celestron cg5gt tripod. Use it with both my at102f11 - with ADM William style dovetail and SV 50 finder etc the ota is about 16 lbs. also use it with vixen vmc200 and Sv60 finder is slightly heavier. It works very well with these scopes. Once in a while I'll mount my 80mm refractor and one of the others mentioned above together.

Plenty stable either way. With a single scope like the at102 I use 11 - 15 lbs of counterweight. I've installed ADM saddles too.

Only thing I don't like is the slow motion controls are not that close to the eyepiece (when using the refractor) and the aximuth knob does not follow the rotation of the scope as the vixen Porta does.

Anyway, probably the only low cost alt-azimuth mount out there with slow motion controls that will take 20lbs.

CT also offers it with a surveyor's style tripod.

jfoley68

Reged: 03/30/12

Re: alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope? new [Re: Don Taylor]
      #6114320 - 10/02/13 11:22 PM

Would this mount (or the Voyager?) work?

http://www.highpointscientific.com/product/STV-MGF/Stellarvue-MGF-Alt-Azimuth...

These are both rated for 20 lbs, but is it stable enough?

BWAZ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/05

Loc: CA
      #6114345 - 10/02/13 11:34 PM

Voyager won't be sufficient, period. It's not only about the load capacity, but the moment arm. Your best bet is the DSV-3 Alt-AZ mount

Don Taylor
sage

Re: alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope? new [Re: BWAZ]
      #6114364 - 10/02/13 11:51 PM

Just weighed the scopes I use on the duo-t: the at102f11 with rings, dovetail, finder, rdf, 2" diagonal, and 22mm ultima lx eyepiece scales 19.0 lbs.

The vixen vmc200L with finder, ClickLock back, diagonal and 32mm Ultima LX is 19.5 lbs.

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope? new [Re: Don Taylor]
      #6114513 - 10/03/13 02:49 AM

I have a DiscMount DM-6 that tracks well without any geared fine controls with a C9.25 Edge. It weighs in at 26lb with finder. 2" diagonal and heavy Nagler EPs at >300X.

wormstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/09

Loc: Central Ct
Re: alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope? new [Re: mistyridge]
      #6114565 - 10/03/13 05:17 AM

The DM6 is a great mount, but the bare head cost $1200, OP was looking for under $500

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6114583 - 10/03/13 05:50 AM

Quote:

Folks,

I have a 120 mm Orion EON apochromatic telescope. With a finder scope, red-dot finder, diagonal, eyepiece, etc., it weigh in about ~19-20 lbs.

What are some good alt-az mounts, with fine motion controls, to consider for this telescope?

I've tried the Explore Scientific Twilight I mount, but this telescope was too heavy for it to be stable. I've tried the Twilight II mount, but there are fine motion controls for it, and it's hard to track objects.

So, what do folks think? Any good alt-az mounts, with fine motion controls, for a 20 lbs telescope for under $500?

Thanks! Jon

Jon:

The one mount that I know of that might qualify is the discontinued StellarVue MG-2. I have one, it's rock solid with shorter, lighter scope, the NP-101, I believe it was rated for about 25lbs.. It's the mount I will use if I ever spring for a 120mm F/7.5

Jon

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6114639 - 10/03/13 07:30 AM

The Desert Sky Astro DSV-3 should handle it easily.

-Dan

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #6114708 - 10/03/13 08:41 AM

Quote:

A used GEM. LX80? Atlas? EQ6?

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6114729 - 10/03/13 09:00 AM

Quote:

The Desert Sky Astro DSV-3 should handle it easily.

-Dan

Ooops! Sorry, I missed the "under $500" part of the original post. The DSV-3 is $750 without a tripod.

-Dan

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6114874 - 10/03/13 10:38 AM

The problem for me with the MG-2 is being able to reach the slow motion knobs when observing. I found that in order to reach the knobs, I had to add an ankle weight to the back of my SW120ED OTA so that I could move it forward in the rings. It's something that you would not think is an issue until you try to use it. This would probably not be an issue with a shorter OTA, say a 102mm f/7 refractor, or for someone with longer arms than mine. If you can reach the knobs, the MG-2 works great.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #6114896 - 10/03/13 10:51 AM

Alt/Az with fine motion controls under $500? Easy! Just use a rotary table on the top of a drill press stand. You should be able to support A LOT of weight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-HORIZONTAL-VERTICAL-ROTARY-TABLE-NEW-/160690554993?...

Get creative!

obin

Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
Re: alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope? new [Re: obin robinson]
      #6115083 - 10/03/13 12:39 PM

I just don't see the great need for an alt/az with slo-mo controls; a Unistar Deluxe holds my 25# 130mm triplet without a sweat and tracking at the scope's practical limit of 300x is no problem at all.

The Unistar is a tried and true design that provides scope clearance at zenith that many of the "T" shaped mounts don't without an optional extension; it also keeps the weight of the scope closer to the centerline of the mount so you don't need the hassle of extra counterweights hanging off the other side...

Also it's a "dry" mount that uses polymer discs instead of greasy bearings and shafts that can get stiff in the cold and require maintenance from time to time.

The price is right too!

Rich

Kfrank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/08

Loc: Northern Colorado
      #6115109 - 10/03/13 12:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Folks,

Thanks! Jon

Jon:

The one mount that I know of that might qualify is the discontinued StellarVue MG-2. I have one, it's rock solid with shorter, lighter scope, the NP-101, I believe it was rated for about 25lbs.. It's the mount I will use if I ever spring for a 120mm F/7.5

Jon

Jon's right. If you can find one, it's a great mount - plus, it's a dual mount in case you might want to mount 2 scopes.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope? new [Re: Rich V.]
      #6115320 - 10/03/13 02:31 PM

Quote:

I just don't see the great need for an alt/az with slo-mo controls; a Unistar Deluxe holds my 25# 130mm triplet without a sweat and tracking at the scope's practical limit of 300x is no problem at all.

Personally I find slow-motion controls a big plus for smaller scopes, I can dial in the object and keep it center, I can also use them as calibrated dials to move across the sky.

Jon

Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
      #6115354 - 10/03/13 02:49 PM

Hi, Jon, like so many things, it comes down to personal preferences based on our own experiences, I suppose...

I've been comfortable pushing alt/az mounts around for over 40 years now. There's certainly no one best way to enjoy astronomy for everyone.

Rich

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope? new [Re: Rich V.]
      #6115422 - 10/03/13 03:17 PM

Quote:

Hi, Jon, like so many things, it comes down to personal preferences based on our own experiences, I suppose...

I've been comfortable pushing alt/az mounts around for over 40 years now. There's certainly no one best way to enjoy astronomy for everyone.

Rich

I love my alt-az mounts..

Shorter scopes make for shorter levers.. A Dob with a 10 foot focal length makes for a 10 foot lever, fine control is easily accomplished... A scope with a short extension to the rear, maybe a foot or so, magnifies the motion by a factor of 10...

In the big scope, the motion required to move one field of view at 800x would move the small scope one field of view at 80x...

Jon

Don Taylor
sage

Re: alt-az mount w/fine controls for 20+ lbs scope? new [Re: Kfrank]
      #6115921 - 10/03/13 07:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Folks,

Thanks! Jon

Jon:

Jon

Jon's right. If you can find one, it's a great mount - plus, it's a dual mount in case you might want to mount 2 scopes.

I agree - that's why I suggest the Csnadian Telescopes Duo-T. Both the Stellarview and Duo-T are products of Kunming and are very similar with the same knobs, clutches, and gearboxes. The difference is how the 2nd scope saddle is arranged. The Stellarview on the end of the elevation axis, and the duo-t at right angles with provisions to align it to the main scope. They apparently share most parts otherwise.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 962

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics