Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
wavecloud
sage

Reged: 09/22/13

Re: ED walls?? new [Re: CarolG]
      #6112825 - 10/02/13 10:33 AM

How much did you pay for it??

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: ED walls?? new [Re: wavecloud]
      #6112839 - 10/02/13 10:40 AM

Prices would vary, depending on where one lives (especially comparing US to Canada); some are uncomfortable putting a dollar amount on their equipment, including observatories. You can always check with your local stores for pricing.

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
      #6113370 - 10/02/13 03:28 PM

Quote:

How much did you pay for it??

That's going depend on where you live , What it cost him is going to be different from what it cost you, For instance , At the time I was building my house a 2x4x10' in Louisiana cost about $125 less then here in Page AZ for the same Lumber,( I was very upset for what I got for my $$$ here ) , Out West in a hole things are more,I guess your paying for the God given View, I could build the same house I have now down South for almost 1/2 the price I think , The best way to get a close price is to put together a Plan make some calls to your Lumber supply store , You can figure out like This, OK I want to go with 10'x 10' Obs like CarolG got ( Very Good Looking Observatory ) and I want the wall to be for feet high , Ok how many 4'x 8' Siding boards do I need , Well lets see now , ONE Board cut in half and put together is 8' and 2' from anther 1/2 piece with a remainder of 1/2 , So that's 1 and 1/4 peice per wall TIMES 4 = (5 Siding Boards) with 0 left over, Now for the bottom and top 2x4x10' long wall boards , Use Treated for the base or bottom , OK it's 10X10 Square = (4)2x4x10' long Treated Boards , You do have to cut 3x1/2" off per board to make a wall, but I'll still say 0 left over, Now for the top , It's best to double up your top wall boards , OK it's 10X10 Sq double = (8) 2x4x10' Boards , OK , Now the Studs , You have to go 16" on Center to Nail the 4' Siding Boards on , 9'8.1/2" long wall you need (9)3'7.1/2" long Studs , Times 4 Walls = 36 But You buy 8'long boards for this and cut them in half , So you need (18) 2x4x8' long boards - your Door and Window some left over . I think that's all your Wall Frame work ,Not counting your Roof Trusses , If you go with a top Skirt for the Dome , I'm sure the Dome Supplier would give Plans ,And Not counting the Floor if it's on a Slab? Look-E-Here for starters (5)5/8" tick X 4'X 8'Siding Boards ,(4) Treated 2X4X10' Long Boards, (8) 2X4X10' long boards , (18) 2X4X8' long boards , You can call and get a price on this for starters ,

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: ED walls?? new [Re: Megabusa]
      #6113397 - 10/02/13 03:38 PM

Very good explanation!

wavecloud
sage

Re: ED walls?? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6113426 - 10/02/13 03:55 PM

Very good explanation
But the reason I was asking is to get a general idea.
By finding what LOTS of people paid for theirs, you can have some sort of expectation prior to bugging the folks at Home Depot.

Megabusa
professor emeritus

#6113569 - 10/02/13 05:02 PM

Quote:

But the reason I was asking is to get a general idea.

Ya I can see that , If You like CarolG s Obs witch is one very good looking Obs you can ask and figure about $250 on either way on everything but the Dome & Skirt, You know the price of that ,you could check on the shipping cost , Some questions you need to ask yourself is #1 Do I want my inside walls finished ? Most Obs I see, It's Not , That could be added latter to, #2 Do I want the walls Insulated ,I think this is a must ,But again I see a lot that's not ,#3 Am I going to run 110 A/C to it , If so it depends on where your tapping in from , Main Fuse Box , How far you need to go under grand for cable to run ,#4 Is it going to be on a Slab and what about a Pier , These things play heavy on cost to , But don't let this be a deterrent for Ya , It's kinda like buying a new Car , Do you want the Base Model , Or do you want the more $$$ 007 edition with the Rockets and the Ejection Seats .

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Re: ED walls?? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6113574 - 10/02/13 05:07 PM

Quote:

Very good explanation!

Thank You - Thank-You-Thank-You

wavecloud
sage

#6113673 - 10/02/13 06:04 PM

Helpful, Nate.
Looks like 4x8 boards are the way to go.

Megabusa
professor emeritus

#6113857 - 10/02/13 07:27 PM

Quote:

Helpful, Nate.
Looks like 4x8 boards are the way to go.

Good-Good , Were gaining ground , I think I speak for Carol and everyone here , When I say ,We will stay with ya till your Obs is done . Then when you get real good with Astronomy You can help Me out , Most People here are like Einstein when it comes Astronomy , Me on the other hand , I,m more like Jerry Mathers , In Leave it to Beaver, But I am pretty good with building Stuff

Edited by Megabusa (10/02/13 07:47 PM)

wavecloud
sage

#6113942 - 10/02/13 08:09 PM

You're also pretty good at making funny posts with random grammar

I wonder how good Einstein would have been at post-proccessing

Megabusa
professor emeritus

#6114093 - 10/02/13 09:24 PM

Quote:

You're also pretty good at making funny posts with random grammar

I wonder how good Einstein would have been at post-proccessing

I don't know about Einstein , But I'll bet the Beaver would have been pretty good at it O-By-The-Way Keep a close eye on tim57064 Tread Hes building a Obs with Photos

wavecloud
sage

#6114153 - 10/02/13 09:52 PM

I've had close encounters with beavers at one of my favoirite dark sky sites (its private, in the family, west of Edmonton, totally black, sorry) I should get them to do my post processing. Maybe they'de take a break with with their multiple Dams and huge Ponds and build my Obs base for me

CarolG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/16/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: ED walls?? [Re: wavecloud]
      #6114177 - 10/02/13 10:06 PM

In answering you about cost, keep in mind that I built my obs about 5 years ago. As you all know, EVERYTHING has gone up in price in the last 5 years, even the price of the Explora-Dome. I agree with what Megabusa said in that you need to work out a plan down to the exact (well, as close as possible) amount of building materials and then go to the store of your choice and find the items on your list. At the time I built my obs, I had a pretty good idea of what things I needed and then shopped around for the best possible deal. If you are near a Habitat for Humanity store, check them out. You can find some great deals there. I found the 2 double hung vinyl windows (brand new) at Habitat for pennies on the dollar. If you look around, you can find some good deals.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1396

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics