Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
wavecloud
sage

Reged: 09/22/13

Re: Siding????? new [Re: Startraffic]
      #6113367 - 10/02/13 03:27 PM

If necessary I'll bet you could make it look nice by staining or sanding it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
      #6114436 - 10/03/13 12:55 AM

Quote:

Wavecloud,
You can also consider Hardiboard (concrete). It doesn't rust, rot, or smell bad in wet weather. Paintable or prepainted. Installed right lasts for ~75yrs. If you have 24" framing, you're golden. It doesn't like hard point type impacts (baseballs). I'm putting on my house. I got ~1500sqft for $500. Frame for 24"OC & you can Tyvek wrap the walls & insulate inside.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

I used basically the same stuff on my house,concrete composite 50 year warrantee, only it was 7"wide x 12' long sticks. The difficulty I had with it is in the attachment to the structure. A slight pain in the rear when you use an air nailer,you have to be extremely careful not to put too much air pressure thru the gun or you will blow right thru the stuff very easily. Of course that is the only way to nail it too, with a pneumatic air nail gun.

Edited by tim57064 (10/03/13 10:30 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Siding????? new [Re: wavecloud]
      #6114445 - 10/03/13 01:05 AM

wavecloud,even though I see that you have commented on a forum of my OBS build and more than likely have read what I am using, I thought I would let you know here that I have chosen to use 1/2" 4'x8' cdx plywood for board and batten siding for the rough sawn look. I am going to paint it over the next couple of days in my garage before attaching it so that it is protected right off the bat. Raining now and for the next 3 days helped in making this decision.

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
Re: Siding????? new [Re: tim57064]
      #6114850 - 10/03/13 10:21 AM

Tim,
Yeah, you have to be careful with it. Too much pressure & it'll blown through, too big it'll blow apart. My neighbor used copper roofing nails with the big orange spacers on his. He made a lot of cracks in his by missing the head or his hand. That's why I went to drilling & screwing. 2 drills one with the TiO2 drill bit, the other with the screw bit & the clutch set to bring the screw to just snug & slip.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
      #6115583 - 10/03/13 04:27 PM

I have LP Smartside 4x8 panels on my observatory and house.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Siding????? [Re: Footbag]
      #6116350 - 10/03/13 11:40 PM

I'll second Michael Hamburg's suggestion of local rough-cut lumber....most suburban and all rural areas have at least one sawmill per town (well, maybe not in the desert...) where you can buy lumber at 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the big-boxes and chain-store lumber dealers.
All sell lumber that is 'rough' - means you can see the marks the saw left as it cut the board, and it has somewhat of a fuzzy/splinter-y surface, many also have giant planing machines that will make it smooth, just like the big-box lumber.....
R

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 954

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics