Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Observatory debris control new
      #6115770 - 10/03/13 05:52 PM

I just installed my Skyshed POD and am using those interlocking foam tiles for flooring. It is about 100 yards from my house so it's a bit of a walk to get there. Depending on the recent weather, that walk can consist of mud, snow, fall leaves, or recently sliced chlorophyl stalks (for you conehead fans )

Of course, all of this ends up on my footwear and gets tracked into the observatory. This may seem like a rather prosaic question for observatory owners, but how do people manage, or limit, this transfer of debris? I imagine that those with larger observatories and warm rooms can leave their muddy shoes at the door. But I can't do that and I have no AC power, or room, for a vacuum cleaner. Seems like the floor will become a wet, dirty mess in short order, especially in the winter.

-Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Observatory debris control new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6115780 - 10/03/13 05:59 PM

While I can vacuum mine; I have a good doormat on the outside & thoroughly wipe my shoes before entering, when it's muddy, etc. I also have a carpet sample just inside the door that again cleans my shoes.

Perhaps have a pair of extra shoes/slippers you can slip on in the observatory?

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: Observatory debris control new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6116353 - 10/03/13 11:40 PM

Quote:

While I can vacuum mine; I have a good doormat on the outside & thoroughly wipe my shoes before entering, when it's muddy, etc. I also have a carpet sample just inside the door that again cleans my shoes.

Perhaps have a pair of extra shoes/slippers you can slip on in the observatory?

Same here! Scrubby type welcome mat on the outside, and carpet type mat on the inside. The outside mat cleans, while the inside mat drys any dampness....

Edited by Wmacky (10/03/13 11:42 PM)

1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
      #6116375 - 10/03/13 11:46 PM

Plastic grocery bags and tape. My brothers answer to muddy boots. He keeps them in his truck, in his boat, on the back patio and by the front door. He kept them in his pack in A'stan. He hates wet socks and hates to mop floors even more.

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
Re: Observatory debris control new [Re: 1965healy]
      #6116466 - 10/04/13 01:25 AM

This is a little help , They sell shoe cleaners that you wipe your shoes on before you get in your RV Camper , When I had My Camper , My Wife picked one up at a Camper Store , It works OK not grate but OK , It does the bottom as well as the sides , Its called the Clean Machine Shoe & Boot Scraper ,

Edited by Megabusa (10/04/13 01:56 AM)

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: Observatory debris control new [Re: Megabusa]
      #6116649 - 10/04/13 07:26 AM

Good suggestion! Thanks!

I don't think the extra-shoes idea will work too well for me. To keep warm in the winter, I use large, heavy, insulated boots along with heated insoles. I'm already carrying a few items to the observatory, such as my laptop, and wouldn't want to carry the boots as well.

That boot scraper thingy looks like it would work for the outside and I'll try a small piece of carpet on the inside. If that doesn't do the trick, the grocery bag idea sounds very effective, although a bit more effort.

Also, I found a small 12V hand vacuum cleaner at an RV store. That should help with the occasional cleanups.

-Dan

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #6116726 - 10/04/13 08:41 AM

I use the extra shoes method ..keep my observation shoes (actuallly bedroom slippers) inside my observatory right inside the door along with a chair.

I I wear heated motorcycle clothing (including socks so I do not need insulated boots even in the winter

My observatory has a carpeted floor.. mud just does not look good on carpet !!!!

Bob

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Observatory debris control new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #6116802 - 10/04/13 09:14 AM

Quote:

My observatory has a carpeted floor.. mud just does not look good on carpet !!!!

Same here Bob; that's why I have the two door mats.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Observatory debris control [Re: csa/montana]
      #6116968 - 10/04/13 10:45 AM

That's why I have a 13' enclosed walkway cutting through the patios to my observatory. So far 12" snows have not stopped me. Mike

starquake
sage

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Nádasdladány
      #6121899 - 10/07/13 08:54 AM

When I was in Finland, I've seen thing like these (usually in some DIY form) in front of many shops and public buildings:

http://www.muddybootz.com/product.php/compact_shoe_cleaner/?k=:::2651627

I guess they are best against snow, but could work with mud too.

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6122967 - 10/07/13 04:36 PM

Quote:

. . . To keep warm in the winter, I use large, heavy, insulated boots along with heated insoles.

What are they and where do you get these?

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: Observatory debris control new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6123761 - 10/07/13 10:52 PM

Hi Steve:

If you're asking about the heated insoles, I use these:
http://tinyurl.com/lp7dzme

A bit expensive, but they work really well! I got them as a Christmas present last year.

-Dan

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
      #6123845 - 10/07/13 11:39 PM

My dad had these for over his boots, he was an electrician and had to enter peoples houses a lot http://www.shoebuy.com/tingley-1300-work-rubber/144767/335848

CharlesW
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Re: Observatory debris control new [Re: Mary B]
      #6124722 - 10/08/13 11:47 AM

You could buy two pair of military surplus Muklucks with the liners. Use one pair to get to the obs, then just slip your foot out and into the pair you keep inside the obs. I spent a very cold winter in Oscoda, MI standing on a SAC flightline wearing those. My feet never got cold.

bgthyz

Reged: 11/13/05

Re: Observatory debris control new [Re: CharlesW]
      #6127898 - 10/09/13 09:17 PM

Why not try paper booties... They are nicely oversize and work great for me in south Texas. I keep a box by the door and can generally reuse a pair several times when the weather is OK. 50-pr at Amazon for a little less than $12.00...

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: Observatory debris control new [Re: bgthyz]
      #6235094 - 12/05/13 10:37 AM

Just wrapping up this thread.

After using the SkyShed POD observatory for a while, I'm finding that my efforts at keeping the floor clean aren't working very well. I clean my boots off well before entering, and I have a small patch of indoor/outdoor carpeting just inside the door.

But, being winter, there still is a small amount of snow & mud stuck on the surfaces of my boots. As this melts off, I get wet spots on the floor which dry into dirty patches. It's not a ton of dirt, but its building up and will require fairly frequent floor cleaning - which I'd like to avoid or at least minimize.

Sooooo ... I wentt back to Carol's suggestion of leaving my boots at the door and using "slippers" in the observatory. Problem there is that I need something heavier & warmer than normal slippers to keep my feet warm. And since my POD is about 300-400 feet from the house, I didn't want to be carrying a second set of big insulated boots with me.

I do find that I take a backpack out with me to carry my laptop, and a few other odds an ends that I need to take in and out each time. So I looked for a pair of booties designed for use in tent during winter camping. I was able to find a pair that have a good solid rubber sole (as opposed to many camping booties that have cloth soles), and pack fairly small. In fact, they have zippers that allow you to zip the two booties together into a small package for transport. Here's a picture of the zipped package:

One reason I wanted more solid soles was because it allows me to also use my Thermacell battery heated insoles along with them:

These are definitely a lot warmer than slippers, especially with the heated insoles. They seem to work well at moderately low temps like around 30°F. I have to see how they fare at lower temps.

-Dan

csa/montana
Den Mama

#6235154 - 12/05/13 11:08 AM

Dan, now that's a very cool solution! I've never seen them before, but TimberLand is a well known brand. Since you bring them from a warm house, they won't be frigid putting them on.

Thanks for the update, I think that's a great solution for your problem.!

Perhaps you could post a link to them.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
      #6235313 - 12/05/13 12:27 PM

Dan,those slippers do look warm.
I second Carol's request for a link to the slippers. They look exactly what I would like.
I leave slippers in my OBS and are very cold when putting them on.Please put up a link if possible. Thanks.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Observatory debris control new [Re: tim57064]
      #6235370 - 12/05/13 01:01 PM

Here we go!

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #6235447 - 12/05/13 01:43 PM

Carol,
THX!

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1279

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics