Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Bill McNeal
sage

Reged: 10/07/07

Astro-Physics Mach 1
      #6118347 - 10/05/13 01:19 AM

The Mach 1 is rated at 45 lbs. payload. Is that for visual or imaging? Does the 2/3 payload rating for imaging apply here or is AP realistic in its payload rating?

Can it handle a 6" refractor imaging setup?

Also I don't see a tripod included. Which one do people usually get?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rainycityastro
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/29/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: Bill McNeal]
      #6118403 - 10/05/13 02:06 AM

The mach1 can easily hold 45 lbs imaging payload *depending* on the moment arm.
It will much more easily hold a 50 lb Schmidt Cass than a 35 lb 6" F15 refractor which will likely be too heavy especially in wind. What refractor were you thinking of mounting on it?
A 6" APO might be at the limit of what this mount can carry photographically.

The Eagle Tripod is a lot of people get and are happy with.

If Rob Miller ever resurfaces again, his tripods (Tri36L) are the best: weigh around 10 lbs and easily support 200+ lbs with absolute rigidity.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #6118405 - 10/05/13 02:09 AM

It is for imaging. Someone on this forum claims it can carry 100lb for visual.

Yes I believe it can carry a 6" e.g.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ap-gto/conversations/topics/29956

the poster is using a TMB 152 with a Mach1. But he notes if the wind exceeds 10mph he can no longer image. So there's that, an AP900 would be better (and a used one isn't much more expensive - unless you need the Mach1 portability).

As per tripod - there are a lot of options. You can use a Losmandy HD tripod with the appropriate adapter; the Astro-Physics portable pier (around $800), the Astro-Physics Eagle Pier (around $1500), the Geoptik Hercules, the Berlebach Planet (which is what A-P sells as their wood tripod).

Or a Meade heavy field tripod. Or a Celestron field tripod (which is what I use - cost $80). But I wouldn't try a 6" refractor on the $80 tripod.

The best was the Rob Miller Tri36L, but Rob cannot be contacted and his tripods are virtually heirlooms now.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6118545 - 10/05/13 06:41 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

I disagree - in the past I have posted images made in very windy conditions with my TEC APO160ED (f/8) and the Mach1 was no problem at all. And that was with an 80mm guidescope. There were many occasions where my imaging conditions far less than ideal and the TEC and Mach1 -no problem! Yes balance and setup become more important and I do thin I was getting near upper limit for the mount but it was not a problem with 20 minute subs. (I'd even posted our local NOAA data for bona fides. I wish folks here would post what they actually know from experience as I don't think that is fair Orlando to say it would have a problem.

The TEC APO160ED is as things go light for it's aperture but still a front heavy triplet. I know many others especially some of the TMB's (and I cannot recall if they were 152 or 160 though I am thinking 152mm) weighed more, not that there are a lot of 160's out there.

One thing, I am permanent mounted on a reinforced concrete pier... but as far as the 160 I used, the Mach1 was an ideal mount.

gbarolak

Reged: 12/10/06

Loc: Houston, TX
Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #6118558 - 10/05/13 07:01 AM

My Mach1 is my standard mount for my AP155. It handles this scope without an issue.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: gbarolak]
      #6118615 - 10/05/13 08:21 AM

Jim, I didn't say wind would be an problem with a 6" refractor, I just relayed what one person reported. I also said an AP900 would be better for this load, I don't think anyone will disagree with that..!

I personally don't have a 6" refractor so I have no idea how well the Mach1 would perform with such a load, but I did say there are people doing it successfully.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6118656 - 10/05/13 09:08 AM

The Mach 1 is designed to couple with the AP155/160 scope for imaging. At the rated 45 lbs capacity for imaging...you're there. A comparable six inch will have no problem. My 130GT is way over mounted on this.

Footbag
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: t.r.]
      #6118673 - 10/05/13 09:25 AM

I was lucky enough to get a Rob Miller, but the Eagle is a piece of art. That said, If I was looking at a Mach 1 and was already at the maximum weight, a used AP900 would be a strong consideration. I'll bet you could find one very close in price to a Mach 1.

If it's a portable setup, then the Mach 1 will suit you well.

Jesus Munoz
sage

Reged: 03/09/07

Loc: Querétaro, México
Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #6118843 - 10/05/13 11:09 AM

Quote:

I disagree - in the past I have posted images made in very windy conditions with my TEC APO160ED (f/8) and the Mach1 was no problem at all. And that was with an 80mm guidescope. There were many occasions where my imaging conditions far less than ideal and the TEC and Mach1 -no problem! Yes balance and setup become more important and I do thin I was getting near upper limit for the mount but it was not a problem with 20 minute subs. (I'd even posted our local NOAA data for bona fides. I wish folks here would post what they actually know from experience as I don't think that is fair Orlando to say it would have a problem.

The TEC APO160ED is as things go light for it's aperture but still a front heavy triplet. I know many others especially some of the TMB's (and I cannot recall if they were 152 or 160 though I am thinking 152mm) weighed more, not that there are a lot of 160's out there.

One thing, I am permanent mounted on a reinforced concrete pier... but as far as the 160 I used, the Mach1 was an ideal mount.

Wonderful setup!!!

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6120903 - 10/06/13 04:26 PM

Imaging. For visual the little A-P can carry a C14 OTA loaded to the gills with trimmings without much difficulty.

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (10/06/13 04:34 PM)

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6121596 - 10/07/13 12:48 AM

I image regularly with the TOA-130 and my Mach1. The TOA is notoriously a heavy telescope and mine, with all the trimmings and the CCD, weighs in at about 34lbs. That includes the rear tube counterweight. I seem to be getting pretty tight stars.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: andysea]
      #6121886 - 10/07/13 08:47 AM

Quote:

I image regularly with the TOA-130 and my Mach1. The TOA is notoriously a heavy telescope and mine, with all the trimmings and the CCD, weighs in at about 34lbs. That includes the rear tube counterweight. I seem to be getting pretty tight stars.

Agreed. My Mach 1 easily handled my TOA-130. It also easily handled my C-11 Edge (shorter moment arm). The capacity ratings on A-P mounts are for imaging and seem to be fairly accurate. I have seen 60 pound loads on the Mach 1 for visual use.

I started with the Losmandy HD tripod, then switched to the A-P Eagle. Either of these tripods can easily handle the max load for the Mach 1.

Because of my medical condition, I am now limited to much smaller payloads. Both the Traveler and C8-HD look like little toys on top of that beautiful mount - and I use the smaller Losmandy LW tripod most of the time.

Cheers,

Ron

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6122098 - 10/07/13 10:39 AM

Quote:

little A-P

LOL Jim, my "little AP" dwarfs my Losmandy G11. My Mach 1 can sling my APM 175 F8 (~52 pounds fully decked out for visual) around the sky with ease (sounds like a can openner though).

Jeff

snommisbor
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/15/09

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: Jeff B]
      #6122148 - 10/07/13 11:02 AM

I have a friend who has the Mach1 with the TOA130 and a huge SBIG 1100 on the back and that mount will whip that set up around so fast. My TAK EM200 with my TEC 140 is so slow compared to the Mach 1. It is a pretty impressive mount for its size.

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: snommisbor]
      #6122346 - 10/07/13 12:32 PM

yeah at 1200x the mach1 really books. i'm a little afraid of it though so i've set my slew speeds to 600x

rob

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: pfile]
      #6124019 - 10/08/13 02:00 AM

So did I! being used to my Tak the 1200x seemed way too fast!

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: Astro-Physics Mach 1 new [Re: andysea]
      #6124033 - 10/08/13 02:14 AM

it also sounds much less coffee grinder-ish at 600x.

surprisingly the Mach1 is much noisier than many lesser mounts *cough* CGEM *cough* out there..

Pages: 1

Extra information
22 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1038

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics