Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1
aacc66

Reged: 03/28/13

Using Fourier Transform IR (FTIR) spectormeters
      #6118989 - 10/05/13 12:41 PM

I am looking for some one that had used a Fourier Transform IR (FTIR) with a telescope. I am trying to figure how would you do it given that there is not a good source for the background measurement. Usually with experiments with an FTIR down in earth you use a black body source with a similar temperatures to your target for the background measurement, but with a star I am not sure what would be a good source for this part of the measurement.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Alvaro

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: Using Fourier Transform IR (FTIR) spectormeters new [Re: aacc66]
      #6119223 - 10/05/13 03:49 PM

Aren't there standard calibration stars such as Vega?

dickbill
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/30/08

Re: Using Fourier Transform IR (FTIR) spectormeters new [Re: llanitedave]
      #6120300 - 10/06/13 10:01 AM

You may ask on this spectro forum

http://www.spectro-aras.com/forum/index.php?sid=2880d7d29885acd6ea9098875a7cc4b9

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
      #6120901 - 10/06/13 04:26 PM

Hi Alvaro - I haven't used FTIR with a telescope, but I have used it at work for determining film composition and silicon thickness. Usually the frequency range is 400 to 4000 cm-1, which corresponds to a wavelength range of 25 to 2.5um. I don't know if standard optics would transmit well at those wavelengths, and moisture in the atmosphere would be a big problem also. I probably don't understand your setup so maybe those issues are irrelevant; I'm just curious about what you are trying to do. Clear skies --Keith

aacc66

Re: Using Fourier Transform IR (FTIR) spectormeters new [Re: llanitedave]
      #6126183 - 10/09/13 12:24 AM

Well, after my posting I went and did some reading and I realized, that the background for a star will be a black body with the same temperature as the one of the star. Vega or any other star would not be ok, as each one will have their own spectra that will make them act as a non black body. Any way after reading, for these cases, or any case where you cannot get a black body source, you have to simulate it as close as possible as you can get it and then do your background subtraction yourself. The FTIR is most cases, does the work for you, but not for extreme cases like these ones.

However, the idea of using the FTIR have some failures, grave ones. Glass becomes opaque at 3.39 microns, so FTIR is of not use with my SCT. Maybe with a Newtonian.

regards,

Alvaro

aacc66

Re: Using Fourier Transform IR (FTIR) spectormeters new [Re: dickbill]
      #6126193 - 10/09/13 12:30 AM

yes, thank you for the link.

Alvaro

aacc66

Re: Using Fourier Transform IR (FTIR) spectormeters new [Re: kw6562]
      #6126202 - 10/09/13 12:37 AM

You are correct about the optics not transmitting in the IR. Usually fused silica (glass) will not transmit beyond 3.39 micrometers, and my telescope is an SCT, which I assume has fused silica, or maybe BK7 (it does not help there either) as the corrector glass. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted the problem.

Now, I do know there are some spectrometers in the visible and they are quite compact, from ocean optics that connect through a fiber, so that leaves the question: is there some kind of concocted eyepiece that couples to a fiber, instead of having lenses? Just musing right now.

Alvaro

dsnope
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/06

Loc: OC California
      #6132416 - 10/12/13 02:46 AM

I've used 2D FFT convolutions for matched filters to find dark asteroids against a dark background. For both IR and Vis CCD sensors. Assuming the background is gaussian noise, spacially and temporally, it will not pass much energy through a smooth background filter template.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 413

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics